What's goin' on with everybody

You know what's really fun, a second year pre lit Christmas tree where a third of the lights decide to die, on Christmas Eve, with guests a couple of hours to arrive. The look of utter disappointment on your wife's face, fighting traffic and a quest of scouring every store that might still be open to find a strand or two, and finding none.....until in a last ditch effort you hit the drug store a mere 4 blocks from home. Success. Oh, the fun part, the look on your wife's face upon your return, lights in hand.

Pre-lit, never again.

A few years ago, I was browsing the garden section of the local Walmart, and I saw about a hundred boxes of lights marked down to something like $1.75 each just to clear them out of the store. I think I bought 10 of them. I've still got a half dozen of them in the basement.

Anyway, the lights are on the shrubs, and up the iron work around the front porch, and the wreaths are hung (for about the 30th year). It was 58 degrees this afternoon, so I took the opportunity to do this before the cold and rain sets in this weekend.

It appears that I made a good call.

Moving along. I had to make the aluminum plate for the outside of the building where the stovepipe comes through. It didn't show in the pics on the box or state that the through thimble was 6" on one side and 10" on the other. I gave it to the shed guys without opening it and had them install it. When the shed arrived I had 10 inch opening on the outside. Bought the plate of EB, 3/32 thick. Laid it out. Hacksawed the corners off. Drilled about a 100 tiny holes and knocked out the center then filed off the jagged edges. Drilled 8 mounting holes. Took me about an hour. I have to get everything lined up and the chimney strapped down, that should be today among other things.

Attachments

• s1 .jpg
    s1 .jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • s2 .jpg
    s2 .jpg
  • s3 .jpg
    s3 .jpg
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Moving along. Getting the baseboard ready. I really didn't want that dark of a stain but I had it kicking around. Putting up some foam on the walls.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
  • baseboard.jpg
    baseboard.jpg
Just another day on the job. I had to hack out a section of a good size root. You can see it under the crow bars and mall. Where the two pipes cross is part of the root that goes straight down from underneath what you see. I gave it a go but gave up and and will cut the pipes back some and use some 45 degree elbows, hook around a dog leg right and avoid it. I know I am going to feel it tomorrow. Merry Christmas all.

Attachments

• e7.jpg
    e7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
  • .jpg
    .jpg
  • e4.jpg
    e4.jpg
  • e5.jpg
    e5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • e6.jpg
    e6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • e8.jpg
    e8.jpg
On this New Years Eve day, I just watched a documentary on HBO called Time Bomb: Y2k. Having been part of the Y2K compliance team at my work, it brought back a bunch of memories. Testing programs, moving from the original accounting software to a new compliant system, trying to find out if the world was going to stop at midnight. I'm sure that there are lots of folks out there who have no clue about the predicted disaster to come. They have no idea of how scared it made people.

The show had quite a few segments where people were hoarding food, buying guns and learning how to shoot in case society broke down, filling up their cars, gas cans and drums, buying generators, stocking up on cash because of fear that the banking system would collapse. Riots would break out. Some people went totally into survivalist mode. They even built bomb shelters and secure camps to leave the cities behind. Martial Law was predicted by some, fearing that the government would use Y2k to take control of businesses. Evangelists warned that is was Armageddon and would usher in the Second Coming.

Of course, in the end, the world didn't explode. The lights stayed on. The nuclear plants didn't melt down and contaminate the cities, planes didn't fall out of the sky. The ATM worked, your bank account still had money in it. Time didn't stop. We survived.

I actually spent the change to 1/1/00 playing Everquest, watching people posting "Happy New Year" at midnight. At 6am, I drove over to our production plant, fired up multiple computers to make sure everything booted up and the security system worked, so i emailed the results to our IT department that the plant was still standing and that business would resume on Tues (Monday was a work holiday since Jan 1 was on Saturday). Then I stopped by the local Frisch's Big Boy for a breakfast buffet. It was a nice way to start the new millennium.

That's the way it was 24 years ago... Dec 31, 1999.

Last edited:
She had to come down. Most of the large limbs were mostly hollowed out, it didn't have long to go. If it went it would have takentree1.jpgtree2.jpgtree3.jpg the end of house and the studio with it.

Did anybody see the story about the guys that bought the contents of a storage unit in California, and found a bunch of reels of tape, allegedly from MC Hammer, Snoop Dogg and others. There are boxes of Ampex and 3M 2" tape. It also had clothes, including what looks like parachute pants. Not a bad haul for $35.

Tapes.jpg

Late to the game on this one. I’m up to freezing my ass off in Indianapolis Fountain Square since Thanksgiving but seeing my lil sis, BIL, nieces and childhood friends. Miss South Florida and that’s where my work is but it’s been nice living back where my roots are for a few months/

My Fender Jaguar had a wiring problem and I had to take her apart. Since she was apart and I prefer a natural wood finish she is now being sanded down.

Attachments

• 2024-01-30_22-10-23.jpg
    2024-01-30_22-10-23.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 2024-01-30_22-10-36.jpg
    2024-01-30_22-10-36.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 2024-02-01_02-03-54.jpg
    2024-02-01_02-03-54.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Its been maybe a tad boring around here, are we due a long tl;dr stream of consciousness Mick Doodley post? In the files of suck it up butter cup...eh, here goes...

I think I'm having a bit of a...it damn sure ain't a midlife crisis. I've been here at the new this old house location out in the country for it'll be 2 years in May. Seems like yesterday, it's gone by so unbelievably quick. I'll be turning 61 in about a month. 10 years if I make it that long I'll be 71. If the last 2 is any indication it'll be a blip, a near wink of an eye, 71 years old. Seems the older I get the faster time goes by. I'm seeing folks all around me getting old(er), changing, some suffering the ravages/results of aging, some little doubt approaching the end. Some I viewed as damn near invisible, now small and shrinking, little old people(personally if the doc office is to be believed I've lost about an inch in height!). The older I get, though in the past I may have thought differently, whoever it was who said life is short wins the award for understatement of the years. At times I look years younger than my actual age, at times I catch a glimpse in the mirror and wonder who is that guy. It's not vanity, that kind of went by the wayside in part for instance when at times the younger ladies started acting almost overly nice and smiley, not because you're hot, but because you're not a prospect, but an old guy. A "Sir". Heh. A shocker...shocked I tell you!...even the not so younger ladies with wrinkles.

I find myself more and more measuring things in years. Some the things I want to do. Gardening, you have one shot a year. Fruit trees, years to maturity, once they are planted. It takes planning and consideration, one i've already planted would be in a different location if given a second opportunity. One of my two dogs a boxer mix and prone to cancer, he's in reasonably good shape but breed says not for too much longer. Once gone do I get a sidekick for my other younger dog and risk an orphaned dog somewhere down the line....if something happened to us. I look at my beautiful wife. I think, what if something happened to me, she'd be alone without me to take care of it, problem solver. Yet, I couldn't do without her. Statistics say, not to mention lifestyle both past and present, I'll go first. My heart already breaks for her.

I'm not really depressed, maybe a bit of the winter doldrums. I know growing old(er) and death is part of the deal, take it in stride and with grace. There's nothing productive about dwelling on it, you can't live there. I'm not really afraid of dying, it's inevitable. It's just that, at times lately I'm not feeling very graceful, a bit awkward. I guess I'm not as concerned with the dying, it's the doing, or the inability, or perhaps even the unavailability. I reckon it was the late Walter Becker who wrote, "And you're younger than you realize....Only a fool would say that."

I look around this place, you old f*cks, we old f*cks. Is it just me or do you ever think about this shit as well? Why would you, what's the point, it is what it is, inevitable.

I caution to even click post. A lot could be said on the subject, I reckon it could even have a thread of its own. But who wants to go there. Oh well, I went there, here in this thread. The what's going on with everybody thread.

Though the wife I think has had second thoughts on the matter, I think I just might get chickens this year...maybe.

Although clearly given I'm in the process of felling about a hundred trees by spring to make way for more fencing, most invasive species Tree of Heaven which I would think not the preferred wood for such things, I've been watching a lot of long videos on the youtubes about carving wooden spoons and bowls, that sort of thing. I'm going to have a lot of damn wood on my hands(not to mention all the "brush" to burn). Although I do have a little history with such, carving, it's been years.....Oh em gee, I'm considering taking up whittling. The end is near! lulz

@Mick Doobie
1) Stop looking at yourself in the mirror.
2) If the older dog dies, get a puppy as a companion for your younger dog.
3) Cut the trees down and build a chicken coop as legally close as possible to that damn dog kennel!!!!
4) Get 12 hens and a rooster.

Back