What's goin' on with everybody

I picked up my wife's prescription one day. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $60, w/ insurance, I assumed. I questioned the lady at the counter, politely. "Yeah, that's the price, you saved $15, she says. I get home and the wife says no, should be $15. She calls and sends me back up there, it's the principle of the matter. Reluctantly they run it again, w/ our insurance. $15. Before for whatever reason they had ran it w/ that prescription rx thing rather than our insurance, which they had on file. They were just the opposite. W/ prescription rx it was $60, save $15. W/ insurance it was $15, save $60. I don't know how any of this works, other than our insurance is very expensive. I hope I never get sick, I'm not sure I could afford it.

Back in the 60s I got a job with the CETA program. Something or other for teenagers in the summer. I get put on the garbage truck with the big guys. First day for me and they are busting their butts and I'm not. Big John Franklin pulls me aside and says Jerry, if we get done by noon we have the rest of the day off and get paid for 8 hours. That was all I needed to hear.

Regarding the eroneous chimney brush, the HR community can once again rest easy.
The attach a hook to the end of the pole method failed miserably, as nothing passes through the matted brush bristles.
I also attached a cctv camera to the pole, and could see there was a section of pole still connected to the brush.
So, idea 4 was gaffa tape a string lassoo to the end of the pole, and try to snare the target pole and brush.
With the aid of the camera, it was fairly easy to get the lassoo over the pole.
Pulled the lassoo string tight, and kept pulling, while hauling it all back down the chimney. Job done!
All ready for Santa now.

Working on it. Have the box mounted on outside wall for electric entry. Bought the drum set. Got the gas fireplace in, put a hole through the wall and hooked it up. Was able to light the pilot light but could not get the main burner to come on. I will have to investigate. Anyone here know anything about them. I have the manual, we know how good they are. Started putting all the shades up. The wife has 25 years worth of purchases that she has made and never used, like Roman Shades. I have enough to do all the windows and doors. A carpet pad and large area rugs bought and never used. I have been moving this stuff between houses and out of my way for years. I finally get some use out of the "stuff". The through wall thimble for the wood stove was advertised as a 6 inch through wall thimble. I gave that to the shed guys to install, they did it correctly. Only one problem, it is designed to go from 6 inch into a chimney with a ten inch flu. Nowhere in the advert or pictures, could you glean that information from. So, now there is a six inch opening on the inside and a 10" opening on the outside. I will have acquire a piece of sheet metal, preferably aluminum, about 16x16, cut a six inch hole in the center and a bolt hole circle and bolt it over the 10 hole in the thimble. I bought all the outlet boxes I need and have them mounted on one wall so far. I will be using PVC as conduit. I have the pieces cut to length for that wall. I started running the wire from the last one back. Once this circuit is complete and working on this wall I will move on to the other circuit on the other wall. More pics to come. I finally sold the Epiphone firebird.

Attachments

• 2007-06-02_00-42-00.jpg
    2007-06-02_00-42-00.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 2007-06-02_00-42-22.jpg
    2007-06-02_00-42-22.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 2007-06-02_03-13-48.jpg
    2007-06-02_03-13-48.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 2007-06-02_04-19-28.jpg
    2007-06-02_04-19-28.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Regarding the eroneous chimney brush, the HR community can once again rest easy.
The attach a hook to the end of the pole method failed miserably, as nothing passes through the matted brush bristles.
I also attached a cctv camera to the pole, and could see there was a section of pole still connected to the brush.
So, idea 4 was gaffa tape a string lassoo to the end of the pole, and try to snare the target pole and brush.
With the aid of the camera, it was fairly easy to get the lassoo over the pole.
Pulled the lassoo string tight, and kept pulling, while hauling it all back down the chimney. Job done!
All ready for Santa now.
I would wager a bet that never happens to you again. I used to do mine twice a year, always had that worry but it never happened. Mine was an outside chimney with a clean out door at the bottom. If it ever happened I could just get something long enough to push it down to the clean out door where I could pull it out. Now I have a huge chimney with three 8 inch flues and no clean out doors on the outside. Two are for fireplaces, one for a woodstove. I am only using the woodstove at the moment. I could easily push the brush down and get it out from inside the house. Leave some extra cookies out for Santa. I have found dead birds in mine in the past while cleaning before the beginning of the cold season.

Last edited:
I just watched the video of the car at the NY/Canada border crossing. It comes into view just as it hits a curb and launches at least 10ft into the air and probably flies close to 100ft. It's like those wrecks at Nascar races. Apparently it hit the building, caught fire, then exploded. I'm guessing a ruptured gas tank from the look of the flames and smoke. I worked in a plant with flammable liquids and and it looks just like that when gasoline ignites.

Crash.jpg

This will be interesting to see if they can reconstruct what happened. Someone pissed with a death wish, or a mechanical malfunction?

Last edited:
Been offline for awhile, but . . .I returned this morning and did all my catching up online with most of my monthly stuff. I shut down for several hours then returned to see what was going on here at HR. Then WHOOPS! . . .

I gots'd no internet! I see my modem is dark, no lights at all. After checking all connections and swapping power sources around, I pronounced the modem "DEAD". Bum - - mer.

That was the bad news. The good news . . .

I called Spectrum (Charter) and after crawling through their terrible voice activated "customer service", wound up with a real.live.person. A tech. He diagnosed the problem over the phone and (this is the really cool part) offered me a choice of 1) Going to their store for a new modem - self installation; 2) Shipping me a new modem - self installation; 3) Having a tech come to my home to install a new modem. I avoid these stores like the plague so I figured them sending me one would take about as long as a tech appointment (several days), so I asked for a tech to come out. Then the surprise. The guy told me they'd have a tech at my place in 3-4 hours with a new modem! On Thanksgiving Day !!!

Guy showed up exactly on time, confirmed the problem, installed a new updated modem and everyone's happy. I had expected not to be able to get a live human when I called, then not getting the modem replaced for several days at the very least. But, NOOOoooo. . . I was surprised as hell. Great service.

Been offline for awhile, but . . .I returned this morning and did all my catching up online with most of my monthly stuff. I shut down for several hours then returned to see what was going on here at HR. Then WHOOPS! . . .

I gots'd no internet! I see my modem is dark, no lights at all. After checking all connections and swapping power sources around, I pronounced the modem "DEAD". Bum - - mer.

That was the bad news. The good news . . .

I called Spectrum (Charter) and after crawling through their terrible voice activated "customer service", wound up with a real.live.person. A tech. He diagnosed the problem over the phone and (this is the really cool part) offered me a choice of 1) Going to their store for a new modem - self installation; 2) Shipping me a new modem - self installation; 3) Having a tech come to my home to install a new modem. I avoid these stores like the plague so I figured them sending me one would take about as long as a tech appointment (several days), so I asked for a tech to come out. Then the surprise. The guy told me they'd have a tech at my place in 3-4 hours with a new modem! On Thanksgiving Day !!!

Guy showed up exactly on time, confirmed the problem, installed a new updated modem and everyone's happy. I had expected not to be able to get a live human when I called, then not getting the modem replaced for several days at the very least. But, NOOOoooo. . . I was surprised as hell. Great service.
There are times I call tech support etc and I know from the first sentence spoken I am not going to solve my problem with this person at least. lol.

Putting a new hot water heater in the house today. The old one is from the 80's an is 80 gallons and it developed a small leak. I bought a 40 gallon tank, we don't need 80 gallons. It is draining now and has been for a while.

Back