Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
Logic. Used Reaper before, but then made the switch to Logic. Also thinking about using a combo of Logic and Reason. Ableton live is very nice just not for me.

I would have to say Logic Express 7.2 Hands Down
I'm a HiP-Hop..r&b producer and LE intergrated with Reason 5 with a mackie controller is like
the ultimate rewire setup but hey that's just my opinion.

I used Protools and switched to Logic. It is just much quicker in the home studio environment. As far as qualities, each have their own positives and negatives but I find Logic faster when I mix and edit tracks. So, it won out on that level.

In my previous post in this thread I said I was up to Cakewalk Sonar 8. This year I have been using Sonar X1 Producer and still no compulsion to change. No project has bogged down or presented a problem that required another program to fix. I haven't done anything like an exhaustive comparison but I can say that nothing has ever turned up that prompts me to wonder if another package can solve this particular problem. I am doing an online course on audio engineering and although they present you with some hairy problems to sort out, I never find Sonar X1 slowing me down in any given area. That's just how it works for me

I spent about 10 years with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 and I loved it. Excellent learning tool and I didn't learn it inside out - there was still years more for me to do with it but I moved to Reaper due as I require collaborators to complete projects. R being more common, better known amongst folk, was the best candidate for that role.
I actually paid for Reaper & bought the printed manual too! I quite like it as it's quite logical, the screens make sense and it very powerful.

I spent about 10 years with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 and I loved it. Excellent learning tool and I didn't learn it inside out - there was still years more for me to do with it but I moved to Reaper due as I require collaborators to complete projects. R being more common, better known amongst folk, was the best candidate for that role.
I actually paid for Reaper & bought the printed manual too! I quite like it as it's quite logical, the screens make sense and it very powerful.

I can see that collaboration is a good reason for selecting a particular DAW but I collaborated with a bunch of guys in different countries on a guitar forum by getting them to record with what they had and I patched the files into the master. Came out something like this...

Blues Jam

GL,
Listening now, very nice touch. Which are you? It has some very tasty licks and a good mix. Some parts reminded me of Kosoff in his Back Street Crawler period.
Great collab!
Here's the 1st collab using Reaper (not quite finished):

I imported to Cakewalk for 1/2 doz years with no real problem but using R I'm now able to send the whole project to one or more of the collabs if they want to have a go at the mix etc. & there're fewer problems with VSTs etc (cake needed a wrapper which didn't always work & it added significantly to CPU use).

Thanks rayC, I am first and third in that piece. A guy from NY was second and fourth. The fifth solo was done by a guy who, at the time, was heavily into drugs and had his favorite guitar in hock. As a direct result of doing that collaboration, he got off the drugs, dropped all his druggy buddies. He got his guitar out of hock, joined a church band and is still doing great.

Your idea of sharing project files is the best but at the time I did that collaboration, I didn't know of many people that were doing it. Basic recording programs were around and I had Sonar 3 at the time. Somebody on the forum wanted to fly a bunch of us together but I thought there might be a way of doing it online so I suggested the collab. It was 2004. After that, the concept seemed to explode and then everyone was doing it, or so it seemed.

Just listened to your recording. Awesome job!

This is the second collab we did with the same bunch of guys plus another from NZ

I added the crowd noise for laffs but I dont have the original now to take it out

I am first, third and last in this piece. Its also me on rhythm guitar and bass

Jazz Jam Collab 2004

GL,
Listening now, very nice touch. Which are you? It has some very tasty licks and a good mix. Some parts reminded me of Kosoff in his Back Street Crawler period.
Great collab!
Here's the 1st collab using Reaper (not quite finished):
rayC, your tune wasn't half bad either:) The singer reminded me of David Bowie a little. I could hear Talking Heads/Cars influence in the song. Nice!

Yay another necrothread!

Mixcraft 5 myself. Very easy to use, lots of royalty free loops included and great online Tech Support.

Alan, that's a lovely clean tone. The drums are little less real in this one. The audience stuff - yeah, funny at 1st.
Good jam and nicely recorded.
Cool!

Pauly615,
a) I LOVE the movie Paulie!!!
b) thanks, you are very kind. Yes the Bowie baritone is distinctly there. This isn't the normal register for the singer: Joey is a metal vocalist by preference but he kindly does these excellent things for me occasionally.

Back