Whats a great DAW software for recording??

EleanorGrace

there are so many DAW softwares on the market now! Sonar 5, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, adobe, ETC....ETC.....

so what is everyone using and why? and what is considered to be the "mother load"/best software currently on the market today?

i see the price range is averaging around $500, but then theres Nuendo 3.1 which is over $1000.............so with all things considered....do ya get what ya pay for? and what do you guys think is the "best" DAW software currently? VidMate

Last edited:
Going out on a limb, Other than some special software like Ableton Live (which I use but don't recommend unless you will use its special features), the price difference will be the plug ins.

If you take Ableton as an example, it has special features for live performance, therefore it has a higher price. Then add in the suite, the price goes up several hundred dollars. But they give you a lot of plug ins.

Reaper, they give you very little, EQ, compression, reverb, just the basics, all capable, but plug in UI is not sexy (you do pay for that) and it is very sparse. So you go buy plug ins. Waves for example at the Diamond Level is almost $300. Long story short, you are going to pay around $60 for Reaper, then load it up with plug ins.

To me, I think you first look at the DAWs flow and layout and see if you like it. First impressions, then look at the plug ins see what you get for your money.

I understand you want to make sure you and your DAW's relationship is the right one as it will be a long one and hard to get out of, but there is no getting around it. You just have to start dating each other and decide. I think all of the major DAWs just work and work well. (Mainly ASIO support and VST plug ins up to VST3) You will just have to take the plunge or do some speed dating with the free demos.

Reaper, they give you very little, EQ, compression, reverb, just the basics, all capable, but plug in UI is not sexy (you do pay for that) and it is very sparse. So you go buy plug ins. Waves for example at the Diamond Level is almost $300. Long story short, you are going to pay around $60 for Reaper, then load it up with plug ins.
Reaper comes with its own range of VSTs, which are indeed basic but highly useable. Additionally, it comes with a heap more JS plugins. Personally, I don't care about 'sexy' UI, but I do care about functional UI. I didn't understand what you meant when you said 'you pay for that'. You pay for what? I note, though, that there are hundreds of themes you can download (for free) to make Reaper look more exciting if that's what you want.

You don't need to buy plugins. Again, there are hundreds of free plugins off all types available.

Furthermore, whichever DAW you use, there will always be people who will buy plugins to supplement the ones that come with their DAW.

I'm not sure why a bot or what ever would post something like this, but it's a really subjective kind of question.

There is a webpage link added to this post, something called "https: / /vidmate.onl/". Looks suspicious to me, so be forewarned before clicking on it! Mods may want to take note.

Back