Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
Cubase 5.5 for me. The studio I had been recording in used it so I chose this software as a means of shortening the learning curve. It's pretty intense.

Here's my PT story. Back when it first came out I was involved with a project that was recorded in a pro tools studio. You payed dearly to use the studio's stuff as very few studio's had PT at the time. It was pretty cool compared to what else was out at the time but the cost bled us dry, the project was partially finished when we ran out of money, and it sucked. The engineer basically learned the system on our dime. I could have one fine home studio with what I spent on the project.

I've been a long time ProTools user (10 years)-

I have Reaper and I like it, but it has some limitations (hardware support) and yes i know there are work-arounds and I have nothing but praise for the folks who move this platform along, but as I do once in a while get paid to record folks I need something that is supported by my hardware- and perhaps it would be true to say i've not put enough effort into Reaper... but that's been my choice (I do own a licensed version)

I have just started using Digital Producer (I am moving away from PT... 9.0 doesn't impress me enough to stay) and I am rather impressed with it... and I'm still in the ProTools session migration mode. My only real nit so far is the inability to have stereo and mono outs ("bundles") together... and there may be a way and i just haven't discovered it or been so informed

it doesn't seem to get much fanfare, and had I not been looking at the Motu 828 interface, I might never have even looked at it. I chose it over Logic

What a great DAW? FL Studio, i started on this with cubase, is ok, but once i really understood how FL do the job?, makes the rest of the daw misserable on the work flow, it`s open architerture make it really flexible, is cheap, you really have direct support, a fast growing users comunity ready to help each other and motivated, and more, take in count for any other poll regarding DAW... Cheers.

Funny... When I asked the question in a computer forum, I was answered by the local 'big shot' in there, saying that Pro Tools was THE only serious programme worth having (that the others were just toys). Turned out he'd never actually used it - he just had it. A quick run through of his (at times, very pontificatory) posts showed many instances of second hand, mindless brand loyalty.

I use Fruity Loops. I haven't found a single flaw with it yet, but every day I find out something else it can do and constantly find myself saying "Wow!".

But that's probably only because I have little to no experience in anything else. Briefly, I've tried Cubase, Sonar and Ableton and can't even work out how to load a single instrument! I think if it wasn't for FL Studio, I probably would never have got into making music.

Dr. V

jejejeje we`re happy Dr. V... i have the same opinion FL studio makes me wonder, makes me more curious and more creative, really easy to use and seriously powerfull yet, it`s that may be the rest of the competition don`t wanna participate on any poll beside FL? oops...

Ever since I changed to Mac I've been using Logic, works great for and its extremely stable

If you have a mac, Logic is your best choice. It does EVERYTHING and it's easy to learn. I have Logic express 7 and I love how it sounds, I love how it works, the manual is even somewhat easy to understand. I have mostly used it for recording acoustic instruments. This is only a small aspect of Logic's functionality, but it's just so damn easy to get a pro sound with it. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that macbook pros are made from quality hardware. But also, the Logic effects that come with it are amazing to me.

If you don't have a mac, I don't recommend buying one just for Logic. You can get a great sound out of just about anything. I would try a few free software demos and see what you personally like the best. If they don't offer a free software demo, then screw em. They're not worth your time.

Oh, one more thought. Keep in mind that your audio interface is more responsible for your sound than your DAW. On my Mac I use a presonus Inspire 3194, which has some sweet preamps (in fact it's pretty much just a metal box with preamps and a couple of input jacks) and I think that has a lot to do with how happy I am with my recordings. On my PC I use a presonus audio box and studio one. It takes a little more effort to be happy with the sound, but it works fine. I wonder if anybody has tried out the pro version of studio one. I think I'll start a new thread to find out.

i must say samplitude is one of the worst DAW'S i have ever dealt with...I am a logic 9 user and will never use anything else. nuff said

I've just started home recording but while I was at college I was using Cubase SX there, and I suppose for me it's the one I'm most used to so it's what I'm using now (Cubase 5 now seen as that was quite a while ago). Never really tried any others.

Cubase all the way! A couple years ago i purchased my first interface. Profire 2626 and bought Protools M-Powered. I played around with it for a bit and honestly(I am probably going to get shot for saying this) I absolutely HATED it! Before that when i started with just a small beh****** mixer I used cubase. I wasn't to fond of it with the mixer but it was still my number one choice. Once i trashed Pro Tools i went back to cubase and i have never been happier! Alot claim its a pain in the a** to learn but i don't know what anyone is talking about. Never took a tutorial in my life. It was like second nature to me :) Very compliant with alot of things. Mixing is a breeze. Mastering, well. I can't really say much about that cause i am a complete newb when it comes to it but i try my best. But long story short. I don't think i would use anything else to track and mix!

I said pro tools, but it was a hard choice between it and logic...
I use Ableton, which I don't think is the best for RECORDING...

I had been using Cakewalk/Sonar since Cakewalk 1.0. I did switch to Cubase for a while, as Cakewalk was pissing me off with an upgrade 8 years or so ago... but ended up going back to them anyway, because I liked the feel of Sonar better. Hey, I was used to it, after all...

I use Fl Studio for mix down and mastering but personally I think its terrible for tracking, since currently it puts everything it records is RAM and it only records stereo wav files even if the input is mono. So I use Tracktion 3 for tracking but found it not so great for mixdown/ mastering.

Now the list is out of date since this is a necrothread.

I use both Pro Tools M-Powered 8 and Presonus Studio One Pro. I'd like to put a plug in for the latter if you use a lot of VIs.

PT 8 didn't support ASIO. Studio One Pro does. While Studio One is pretty new and I'm still getting used to it, they keep adding and tweaking stuff. It's been out since 2009, and they're on 1.6.4 now which is much improved over the first versions. Two years now, so I'm expecting 2.0 late this year and hopefully I get in the grace period. S1 64 bit requires jbridge to use 32 bit plugins. It is available in 32 or 64 bit. PT 9 is 32 bit but requires Win 7. So far I'm liking S1.

You left off my favorite daw, Samplitude 11 Pro. I just love the thing. It does direct monitoring communicating directly with my RME hardware so no need to do any weird routings and switching settings to get it to work. It just really works well with my workflow.

Back