Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Electronic Music

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other - name below

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

hand in glove

Hey There guys,

Just curious as of to what style you guys like to mix the best? If the option you like isn't there, just click other and type it in here! (plus only have an offer of 12 poll options max).

I like mixing electronic music, its easier to take risks and experiment with things that would make "real" music sound like crud :-)

For me the question is irrelevant. I don't care what the music style is, the ones I like mixing the most are the ones whose content is the most enjoyable to listen to on both performance and arrangement levels.

I'll take a great perfomance of a group of dynamic Tibetian Throat singers over a vanilla cover of my most favorite music or song any day.

Added to that, I simply don't believe in the old maxims that one must mix this way for country, that way for metal, etc. The song and the arrangement dictate the mix, not the genre. If I get a coutry song I don't automatically think before I sit down that I won't need my distortion pedal and the vocals are going to be clean up the middle, or that just because a song is metal that I am automatically going to hard pan a doubled guitar. Any monkey can do that stuff. That's not mixing at it's best.

The song has to tell/inspire the mixing engineer into what to do (assuming he gets to make at least some production decisions and isn't just a producer's prosthetic arm.). And the better the performance and arrangement of the song, the more they tell the engineer and the more inspiring they are to work with.

G.

Thats a nice point Glen. It is good to keep that in mind. I'm just partial towards Alternative music because i enjoy both writing it and mixing it :)

i love mixing rock just because i love to try and make stuff sound huge! huge kick huge snare huge guitars! i love it!

I agree with G. it's the performer not necessarily the genre of music. Diversity in mixing is a good thing, all the skills that you learn in one form are transferrable to another, and sometimes listening to music that you may initially be unfamilair with helps build your skills in another.

I don't really mind what style of music I mix. What I do appreciate is musicality and technical competency. I also appreciate originality and creativeness. What I look for is the chance to make something sparkle, as opposed to being pedestrian. I get a buzz when I become a collaborator in a musical project, as opposed to being the hired help. The style of music is irrelevant.

I like the sound on the recent(and mostly all) of the Steely Dan CD's. I know Gary Katz was listed as producer on thier old stuff, and both Becker and Fagen are listed as producers on thier newer stuff. But it seems to close to the same style.

Which is: an extremely clean, clear and crisp recording. No distorted instruments(a few guitar solos maybe). No over effected vocals. Almost a dry recording.

I voted for other-name below, because most of my favorite bands play other-name below music, and my own music tends to be other-name below influenced. It can be hard to find stores that carry a good selection of other-name below artists, but I think that will be changeing soon as the other-name below genre is rapidly catching on. :)

Back