What is Mastering?

I search for 'mastering' and I get 100 results with links to threads of ppl telling me to search :confused:

Blimey! I remember a time here when people actually liked talking about this stuff...

Seriously?

Okay. I type google.com into my browser and type mastering in google search box and press enter.

Lo and behold, the first listing that came up for me is ...

If the OP has read that, and has a more refined question about mastering, I would be glad to take it seriously and try to help.

There is a search box on homerecording.com on the top right of the web page. There is a wealth of information on this site...there are gold nuggets out there.

Go find them for your situation.

They are out there.

But you have to spend 5, or 10, or 60 minutes of your own time, doing your own research....that would be the polite thing....instead of wanting to be spoon fed.

What is it with this new entitlement generation? :p

I am trying to teach self reliance, in addition to home recording. :laughings:

Anyways....Kay....read the wiki....let us know if you have any more detailed questions after that.

:)

kthxbai

I can't help but wonder how much longer it took to type all that, than to just answer the kid's question... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Now you see, here's the thing... Mastering is the 'framing' and the tweaking of the end product - which implies that 'mastering' comes in at the end. FL Studio has default templates which include 'mastering' plugins. I suppose that in theory, if you wanted all your tracks to sound cohesive on one album, you might use the same template for all your songs - and it's as if the album is 'pre-mastered' before you even strike the first note...

But something doesn't sound quite right with that. Agreed? I think there must be some fairly obvious reasons why this method could be considered 'arse over tip'.

Now here's another thing. If mastering is normally done to bring a bunch of 2-channel mixes to an album - and mastering is more than just slapping a compressor on each one - then how does the mastering engineer tweak other things in that mix, if he's only working with 2-channel, compounded tracks?

So, as a home DIY enthusiast (rather than a pro) would MY mastering process be more likely to involve going back to my mixes and tweaking individual instruments and effects, so they come in line with other tracks containing the same instruments and effects?

So, if it's alright by you, then I think it would be nice for some of you guys to talk about their own mastering process, so beginners like myself can learn from those who have the talent, the expertise and experience. I'd like that very much.

Good points. It would make for some interesting insights. I've kind of wondered about this too.
Something else I've wondered about ~ what have you done with the real Dr Varney ? :D

Now here's another thing. If mastering is normally done to bring a bunch of 2-channel mixes to an album - and mastering is more than just slapping a compressor on each one - then how does the mastering engineer tweak other things in that mix, if he's only working with 2-channel, compounded tracks?
EQ - One of the most powerful tools used in mastering.

If the mixing is done well and each song stands on it's own...Getting the songs to have continuity between themselves should just involve a touch of eq and leveling.

When listening to an album through the sonic balance should not change drastically from song to song. You could always go back to the mix to tighten it up, but at some point you have to call the mix "done"..and this is where global processing (mastering) comes into play.

This might be a silly question, but what makes a song sound "professional"? I mean, if the recording is OK, the mixing is OK, can really top notch mastering turn something which sounds kind of home-made into something that you can play on the radio?

I mean, if the recording is OK, the mixing is OK, can really top notch mastering turn something which sounds kind of home-made into something that you can play on the radio?

Well, the short answer is No, mastering engineers can't perform magic. I learned this lesson myself.

Long answer: The song has to be great before any studio equipment is turned on, before the mics are set up and before the tape rolls. This means the song itself, the instruments, the performance, the room, etc.

"Recording is ok" won't make the radio. "Mixing is okay", won't make the radio. The song has to be great, not good, but great. Then it has to be recorded and mixed perfectly. Then it's given to the mastering engineer to squash to hell (sorry guys, had to say it :P ).

"Sounds kind of home-made" is ambiguous because we've heard lots of "home-made" songs here at HR that could be on the radio.

Nothing less than stellar will make the radio and even then it has to have all the luck in the world. And mastering engineers can't supply that.

This might be a silly question, but what makes a song sound "professional"? I mean, if the recording is OK, the mixing is OK, can really top notch mastering turn something which sounds kind of home-made into something that you can play on the radio?
I think the song writing will trump recording. A perfect or stellar recording can be ambiguous. There are recordings that were not recorded that great that go on to be huge sellers mostly due to the song writing. The recoding of the song "Imagine" is not all that great..but it is one of the most popular songs of all time. Foo Fighters first album was meant as demo's and sounds pretty garagey... got tons of radio airplay and sold millions.

As long as the recording captures and conveys the essence and emotion of the song each step after that is meant to be an improvement.

Well, I am new to this. So call me a newbee. I read all this thread, I read the wiki article and many articles out there and still don't get it. Maybe I am a bit slow.... so here I am asking again the question: "What is mastering?"

So, background on me. I am just a regular man with a band that got to the point of wanting to record a few of the band songs to distribute mostly amongst friends and just dream of being famous, but don't want to do a rehearsal recording and cannot afford a studio.

What i have done so far? Ok, I began by reading all i could about recording. Finally chose Adobe audition because I read somewhere that it was the easiest to use. I also have my guitar and a really nice guitar pedalboard (Line 6 pod x3 live). So I recorded my guitar tracks. Then Of course I could not record my drums in my living room (My wife heavily opposed to this) so i found that vsti existed. I chose EZdrummer and programed all the drums. Of course my drummer hated me for a few weeks, but then he too was happy with the result. Then I wanted to record the voice and found out that my plastic mic sounded, well, like "shit" for lack of a better word, so again I researched for mics and bought one on my price range (shure sm58). And finally since we don't have a bass player I tried and experimented again and found a free vsti that complemnented my mix (4front bass).

After many hours of reading, researching and recording and fighting with my fellow band mates as to what the song should sound like, I recorded all Three guitars, sampled the drums and the Bass and recorded the Voice. Then EQ all of them separately and adjusted volumes. Added a few efects on the voice and voilá, I had a MIX i was pretty happy about.

Now, have my mix, even if the voice does not sound as i wanted to (it does a bit of clipping that gets on my nerve ) I do have a final mix for my song. So now, again: "What is mastering?". Or allow me to refrase: "what is left to do?" I keep having this feeling that something is missing, and no, the answer is not "get another singer" ;) . All that is described as mastering I already did in mixing. What am I missing? Would it help to get someone to hear my recording?

Thanx in advance for any response or help that you can give me.

Fede

Welcome to the site, Fede. There are better threads on "What is Mastering?" than this one. Perhpas browse through the Mastering section or Newbs section and you might get a better insight.

Basically, it is the step in music production where you take your collection of songs and put them together to make an album and ready them for mass production in whatever medium you choose; vinyl, cd, mp3, etc... Mastering is fine tweaking of your albums so all the songs sound cohesive, as if recorded on the same day with all the same settings and such.

fede said:
All that is described as mastering I already did in mixing

Not quite. Mixing is working on the elements of one song. Mastering is putting all your songs together. I always say, and it may not be totally accurate, that you can't master one song, because it's about making a collection of songs become an album. If it's only one song, I would say you "Finalize" it. Which to me means, bringing the overall level up and converting to whatever medium you want it the final result to be.

hope this helps a little.

Chili,
Yes, it helps a lot. thanks for your answer.

I think you made it clear what I was missing. I thought that you could master even one song. And what i didn't understand was the part of making all the songs sound cohesive. All I have for now are stand alone songs that DO NOT make an album. So what i need to do is fine tune my song to make it sound right and that's it. I'll look further into mastering when i have a lot of songs that i want to turn into an album.

I will sure keep asking the same dumb questions i believe everybody is asking until i get it right (or you kick me out).

Probably my next question will be: "I read everywhere that the song should be equalized to sound good in a hi fi sistem, earbuds or standard notebook speakers. My question would be: how to do that?" But I think that should be a question for another thread. But, would this be mixing or mastering?

Thanx again,

Fede

Back