What equipment do i need to calibrate/test a TSR-8??

diskobox

ello,

i know these things are very difficult to find, but could somebody list the stuff/test tapes etc i need so that i can keep my TSR-8 working to the best of its ability?

cheers

That really should be a sticky... who is that guy? :D

The specific calibration tape for the TSR-8, or any ½-inch 15 ips IEC multitrack can be any one of the following.

TEAC YTT-1144
Fostex 9200
BASF 337534A
MRL 31J229

Or for the minimum necessary to set bias, operating level and azimuth:
MRL 341-673-482-103

Only tapes from MRL can be purchased new. The others would be used (sometimes new old stock) on eBay.

RMGI may reintroduce the old BASF calibration tapes, but I haven’t heard anything for sure about it yet.

:)

Beck said:
That really should be a sticky... who is that guy? :D

The specific calibration tape for the TSR-8, or any ½-inch 15 ips IEC multitrack can be any one of the following.

TEAC YTT-1144
Fostex 9200
BASF 337534A
MRL 31J229

Or for the minimum necessary to set bias, operating level and azimuth:
MRL 341-673-482-103

:)

Tim, is 456 a +3 or +6 tape ?

456 is +6 tape. It's also the standard by which other +6 tapes are measured. Other +6 tapes are/were advertised as “Bias compatible.” That’s short for “Bias compatible with Ampex 456.”

Beck said:
456 is +6 tape. It's also the standard by which other +6 tapes are measured. Other +6 tapes are/were advertised as “Bias compatible.” That’s short for “Bias compatible with Ampex 456.”

Ok, thanks. the product # listed on the PDF file from the MRL website for +6 1/2" tape is listed as item #343-644-512-105. And # 243-644-512-106 for 1/4"
The number you mentioned above is different so I wasn't sure. Maybe they changed the product numbers?? What is the difference between NAB and IEC? Still haven't figured that out.

Hello! Are we gonna have this conversation again??

456 is a +6/185 tape, MOL. The "usual" cal-tape to use is a +3/185 tape for Standard Operating Level,... which in this case is -3db below MOL. The recommended fluxivity of "0VU" on the Tascam 38 (f/i) is 250nWb/m,... +3/185. Thank you.

I think I've just gone blue in the face from repeating that line, over & over! :eek:

A Reel Person said:
456 is a +6/185 tape, MOL. The "usual" cal-tape to use is a +3/185 tape for Standard Operating Level,... which in this case is -3db below MOL. The recommended fluxivity of "0VU" on the Tascam 38 (f/i) is 250nWb/m,... +3/185. Thank you.

I think I've just gone blue in the face from repeating that line, over & over! :eek:

Ok, well maybe that's why Beck had a different item # then. I'll have to look again.

The TEAC YTT-1144 and MRL 31J229 are 250nWb/m fluxivity for "0VU",... although e'thing in analog is "continuously variable", and you are free to pick your own operating levels within a certain range.

All I'm saying is that the "+6db/185" MOL fluxivity level on your (456) tape should correspond to +3VU on the meter, and the "0VU" calibration was traditionally set at +3/185 (250nWb/m) for running a +6 tape such as 456.

It's based on the philosophy that you want your MOL point to be peaking in the red on the meters, not at 0VU,... but there's apparently a lot of room for debate on that.

F/I,... the guy whom I bought the MS-16 from had his 250nWb/m cal tape adjusted to read back at -6VU, and he's running 996 tape, a +9 tape. So I said, 'You have your 0VU level set at the tape's MOL',... and he said, 'Yeah, but people love that tape compression!' [heh]

So,... my point is that some people like me want to stick to the book, with traditional philosophies, while other people tweak and use the parameters for one effect or another, depending on what they're after.

I'm comfortable with a setting that puts the the MOL of the tape you're using at +3VU, coincidentally which is also the top number on the Tascam 38's VU meter. I set the 0VU point at 250nWb/m, plain & simple,... (for 456 tape), and that's by the book. At no time do I want my MOL at 0VU. Where's the debate?

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of confusion and well intentioned misinformation about tape, operating levels and analog calibration. People are either A) misinformed,... B) on their own trip about wanting to bend the rules & do their own thing,... or C) going after a specific effect.

D) All of the above!

The beauty of it is that there's a wide range of analog calibration settings that will yield good results with a wide variety of tape. You just have to know what parameters you're working under,... and you're there. :eek: :confused: ;)

I mean,... if you're that rabid about "tape compression", then just slam it all the way to the right in the red all the time. Don't put the tape compression threshold at 0VU, because that doesn't seem rational in my by-the-book mentality. :eek: :eek: ;)

Last edited:
Yeah... what Dave said.

The calibration tapes made by TEAC and Fostex for their 1/2-inch decks are 250 nWb/m.

But even if you wanted to set a machine to a higher or lower operating level you can still use the 250 nWb/m tape.

For example the Otari MX5050 MKIII 8-track is factory set to 320 nWb/m. The Tascam BR-20 has a switch to select between 250 and 320. When you play the 250 nWb/m calibration tape you set the reproduce level to -2 VU instead of zero.

You don’t need a different calibration tape for different operating levels and 250 nWb/m is a good one to have.

SteveMac said:
What is the difference between NAB and IEC? Still haven't figured that out.

NAB and IEC represent different equalization curves. NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) is the North American standard for half-track. IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) is the European standard. Equalization for tape is similar to what the RIAA curve does for turntables. Certain frequencies are emphasized or deemphasized during recording. The procedure is more or less reversed upon playback.

It gets a bit more complicated than one standard vs. the other. Most open-reel multitracks have EIC EQ even if they are being shipped to the US or Canada. And IEC has adopted NAB as an alternative EQ, calling it EIC2. If you just see IEC or IEC1 it means the original IEC. Otari, Tascam, Revox and Fostex with 8 or more tracks use IEC.

The two standards are not interchangeable. If you play a tape recorded with IEC equalization it won’t sound right being played on a NAB machine.

Last edited:
Yes, of course! There are wide variations!

Thank you!....... ;)

/You're maxing out at "0", man!/ :confused:
/Yeah,... but people love that tape compression!/ :eek:
;)

Back