What drum mics and interface should I buy

D_Vincent

Im going to go with a basic drum micing set up...two overheads and then I want to mic the kick and the snare.

Im on a low budget...

Should overheads be condensor mics?...Right now I own an apex 435 condensor...Its not bad for the price so I think I will just get another apex 435 and use these as overheads.

Is sm57 best for snare?

What would be a decent low cost kick mic

-----------------------

Interface...I guess I will need at least a 4 input recording interface however If I use 2 condensor mics for overheads Im guessing the interface will need phantom power.

Thanks for any help

Yes overheads will work best as condensors, the 57 is standard for snare although many people like the audix i5 for the same price i believe. Kick mic all depends on what your definition of low cost is. I have a audix D6 and it works very well. you can buy it new for 200 i believe. And affirmative for 4 input interface with phantom power. You will not have a hard time finding a interface with phantom power though so i wouldn't worry too much about that. And to be clear, it would be easiest to make sure you have 4 built in preamps on your interface as well.

Theres tons of great info on here about all of this. Search button is your friend:)

This should get you started though.

Ok thanks again

Yeah I did a search...mostly on google...I always have a hard time finding anything using a forum search feature...never seems to find what im looking for.

--------------

I think I know what i want in regards to mics

Im going to buy and use

Shure sm57 (snare)
Shure beta 52 (kick)
Apex 435 (overhead 1)
Apex 435 (overhead 2)

-----------------

Still not sure what to buy for an interface...the 4 input ones are much more expensive than your basic interface Like I have now...what is a good 4 input interface that doesnt cost a ton of cash?

Yeah I have an M audio fast track and it has never failed me yet however it only has 1 input.

Just wish the m audio 4 input interfaces were a bit cheaper

Wonder if there is anything cheaper out there that will do the job.

Thanks for the links...the m audio delta may be a good way to go however it looks like its pretty old because it mentions windows 95/98...must be a really good product if its still being sold though.

I was looking at this card or maybe go with something similar.

http://www10.shopping.com/xPO-Audiophile-192

Yamaha Audiogram 6 Computer Recording System you posted a link for looked promising however only 1 input is phantom power...Im going to use two overhead consensor mics so im thinking I need two inputs with phantom power...having said that I do own an art tube mp with phantom power that I may be able to use for the other condensor before going into the yamaha.

I will check out the Phonic stuff you mentioned as well...thanks for posting some options for a lowered priced interface.

D,

Yes, the Phonic does have 4 mic/line preamps. You can always add on better external peramps later if you need them. It's also windows 7 compatible. You even get Steinberg and Cubase LE mixing software with the board.

DS

Back