what do you think of this guitar sound?

braden_

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8116876

i've been messing around and have been trying different things and kind of liked this.

any thoughts on how it could be better? or just different? comments much appreciated.

the chord progression is just something i came up with to test the sound.

this isn't eq'd or anything... just straight from the mic, recorded twice, panned hard L and R.

You've got a nice full sound there. It only needs compression to even out the levels. Also try panning them around 65 L and R. It adds more to the middle if you get what I'm saying. Sounds good though.

Very nice sound in general. I would try to take some of the boom out of the mix and brighten up the highs a little.

thanks guys! i'll try and do those suggestions. i'll repost in a little bit.

believe it or not.. that's a $50 behringer c-1 mic. i was pretty surprised.

okay here's with the suggestions added.. i also did a preloaded filter in cep for hiss reduction which i normally can't stand using because it takes too much out but i did it very lightly, and i think it works ok.

any better? i took down some low freq's and upped the highs a hair, and panned 65/65 instead of 100/100. also added a little bit of compression to each track.

ps: panning is awesome. i never had a clue. i love learning. =)

hey, does this mean you have recorded it on two separate tracks during one take, you then pan one track left and then one right?

what is the difference between doing this and recording one track and just having it centered in the pan?

cheers

recorded twice, panned hard L and R.

hey, does this mean you have recorded it on two separate tracks during one take, you then pan one track left and then one right?

what is the difference between doing this and recording one track and just having it centered in the pan?

cheers
He says "recorded twice", which leads me to believe he did it properly. Recording one take on 2 tracks would indeed be the same thing as having a mono track, if only one mic was used.

It sounds lonely. How it sounds on it's own isn't going to tell you how it sounds in a mix.

Hey Brian, the file works fine for me. It must be on your end.

It sounds lonely. How it sounds on it's own isn't going to tell you how it sounds in a mix.

I agree. I'd recommend bringing out the highs a bit more (whether it be mic
placement or EQ). It seems like it's nice and warm on it's own, but would get
drowned in a mix

I tried it again. It sounds like blown speaker cones. Weird. Any other file I play here sounds fine. The song is good though. I can play the low fi version. I know my speaker are not blown.

I tried it again. It sounds like blown speaker cones. Weird. Any other file I play here sounds fine. The song is good though. I can play the low fi version. I know my speaker are not blown.

Do you have any EQ set up on your soundcard/speakers? It could be affecting the sound

No, it is only this one file. All other files that I have ever played are fine. It is just this one. It is not any setting in the computer.

I have the pre out run to a power amp. It works fine and has always worked fine. Just strange sound. Speed is warped like someone is dragging their finger on a record or tape reel to slow it down and sounds like flopping chunks of speaker cone like when the surround disconnects from the cone and the cone just flops around on the spider. We all know what that sound is. ;) Don't know why it does it. Must just be the way the file loads. Only this file ever.

Oh well, No biggie.

Back