What do we do now?

Haven't got shirts printed yet, it'll depend on how many people are up for it what prices are, etc.

Sizes planned for the first print will be:

Kids Small, Kids Medium, Kids Large, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large

2X large and up I'll do if needed, but they're more expensive.

I've got an incredible artist working on designs right now.

W.

I havent got any recordings to post yet, but I do get alot of enjoyment out of everyones music, so I suppose I could kick in 50 bucks for a great cause.....

:p :D

I dont post that many songs so the unlimited space might be overkill for me right now except for just having an online library, but for 2.50 a month its really cheap for thinking ahead. Hell, the shipping costs for the parcels to Canada could have gotten me two years of unlimited.

Toki987 said:
I dont post that many songs so the unlimited space might be overkill for me right now except for just having an online library, but for 2.50 a month its really cheap for thinking ahead.

I havent posted a lot either but I decided to go ahead and get the infinite space awhile back.I dont think there is a better deal around.
Crawdad sent me some CD's of his tunes and asked me to help waldo out instead of paying him for the CD's.

Maybe we could get something like that happening around here where people get a CD of tunes from some of the artists in the clinic and instead of paying them ,they could donate to nowhereradio and the artists would be donating their music and postage....It worked for me......I didnt think twice when Crawdad wanted to work things out that way.

Not sure if this'll upload, but here's a preview of one of the designs we're working on for a shirt back... Almost complete... I'll probably have 3 or 4 designs.

W.

Attachments

• shirtback3.jpg
    shirtback3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 63
Waldo--My feeling is this: make it a pay site and all the freeloaders will ante up. You'll have your new lines and servers in a heartbeat. I know this comment is against the grain as far as the spirit of Nowhere Radio is concerned, but lets face it. When you give away your service for free, many are all too happy to take it for as long as its free. Even the one year unlimited service is damn cheap. Make it a pay site and survive. Maybe later on you can allow a 5 or 10 meg free space--for perhaps a limited time as a free introduction. I think you'd find its something that anybody who's at all serious about their music would go for. The way I see it, Nowhere is always in emergency mode. Idealism is great, but if it causes Nowhere to go down, its useless. Right now, what it needs is paid subscribers to get it to the next level. Especially those who love it but can't find the $25 bucks to contribute for soem space. Once you have a solid base to work from, other things are possible. When a family is starving, it can't expect to give away food and survive. If it was my site, thats what I would do.

i agree 110% with crawdad and have been telling Waldo this since day 1.......

just curious, if you dont mind me asking Waldo...of all the active members of NWR, how many have paid accounts?....

crawdad said:
Waldo--My feeling is this: make it a pay site and all the freeloaders will ante up. You'll have your new lines and servers in a heartbeat. I know this comment is against the grain as far as the spirit of Nowhere Radio is concerned, but lets face it. When you give away your service for free, many are all too happy to take it for as long as its free. Even the one year unlimited service is damn cheap. Make it a pay site and survive. Maybe later on you can allow a 5 or 10 meg free space--for perhaps a limited time as a free introduction.

Ditto!

Waldo,
What have you got to lose?It looks like things are headed downhill the way nowhere is set-up at the moment.Why not try and save it by going all pay?What good can come out of going down with the ship by NOT choosing to go all pay?

The infinite space deal is the cheapest I've found,not to mention the customer service and quality upload/download speeds when things are running right.With the new lines you could pretty much guarantee upload/download speeds to be decent at least from your end couldnt you?

I would go all pay.Unless you know something that I dont it looks all pay is the only real solution to the problem.

We're up to around 80 paying members now, almost enough to keep things running once the server switch is done, plus the paying members will have their own dedicated pipe (more bandwidth/space), and we're working on methods to encourage paying members, as well as open things up, and provide more services, plus cut expenses.

I *will* be introducing a 'pay only' service soon (StudioNoWhere), involving some new software I've been working on, that I think most will want their hands on. It's not the same as simple mp3 hosting/streaming, and there is very few places you can find this sort of technology. In fact, it might be the only one with the power soon, since the only real competitor I see has washed up...

We'll see how things evolve, right now, I don't think the pay only method would fly. NWR3 is chock full of problems and ugliness. I think the decision on that will be made well after the NWR4 release, as the entire dynamic of NWR will change when that happens, so will expenses, traffic, etc..

NWR might seem like it's always on the edge, but as musicians, you know this is pretty commonplace. It's coming up on 5 years that NWR has been around, and it's survived on peanuts (and slave labor ;) ) that whole time. NWR, and the ideas behind it, will never die, not as long as I live.

Heck, if I had a full time job with decent pay, NWR would never have a problem, I could easily support it with how I've structured it. We go through high times, and low, just like any business, or individual for that matter.

Until things change, think of NWR as any public radio station, support is voluntary, and those who support it will benefit the most. All of us on (and in) NWR are indies, and as indies, the value of the dollar is really high. Even $2.50/mo. can be alot for someone looking to get their music heard, so I'm trying to create a new 'economic model' that will work for us all. Time will tell, but worry not, it'll never die.

W.

P.S., I've written out brief synopsis of the current plans in the works on the NWR forums to avoid the 'all pay' scenario, which I see as sinking the ship, given current research. Check them out, and you might see that there is more options.

Even if the server switch 'doesn't' happen (which it will, I will find a way), there is options (which we are working on) to cut down the bandwidth useage, yet make downloads much faster, etc. etc.

W.

Thanks for posting waldo.I guess Im just too much of a pessimist.:D

I still think there should be a whole lot more paying members than 80.How many TOTAL users does nowhereradio have?How big of a percentage do these 80 paying members make up?

but in all honesty, its not fair to expect the paying members to ante up extras so the freeloading numnuts can keep their free space.......im telling you this because you are an alright dude and i admire what you are doing.....i hope you are making the right decision......

3,113 total members as of now. Space wise, paying members occupy about 20% of the used space, and about 30% of the bandwidth. So, at the moment, the pay users are the big users.

We've had a rash of new pay member sign ups in the last two months, once this next hump is crossed (the switch) NWR 'should' (I say should because the math works out that way) be set for the next 6 mo. without issue. And if members stay on, NWR 'should' be self-sufficient from then on with-holding any mass exodus or flock of newbie abusers (at which time I rethink the strategy of course).

W.

Gidge, that's why the proposals were made on the NWR forums to prevent that. I've already thought of that issue, and you can see initial plans on how to address that issue there. Rest assured, paying members will get their moneys worth.

I'm also working on ways for the 'free' accounts to be 'self-sufficient', in that they cover their own expenses.

W.

Back