Making money off idle studio space!?

I understand your position but. These days when we have an album that was recorded in a bedroom in LA WIN 5 of the 6 Grammy categories it was nominated for in 2020 there is something to be said about the ability to get a very professional recording in the comfort of your home. Fineas probably had @ $10K in gear...maybe.

99.9% of us recording our songs are never going to "make it" and the quality results we can get as home recorders is incredible.

Musicians and Home recr's come in all levels of recording ability and it is a long learning curve. I think Mateo is on to something making it viable to those that don't have the knowledge or the $4 or $5K to invest in modest recording tools to at least get some tracks down and start learning the process.

Me personally if I can't get a good enough recording on my own I have no need or want to pay someone else for songs that are never going make me a ton of money anyway. For me they're good enough for the girls I dance with.

Far from stellar I can press record on my iPhone being fed the audio of my mic and piano going into a usb mixer and get a waaaaay better quality audio AND video recordings than what was available to me 45 years ago when I had the opportunity to record a few times in some killer famous recording studios in LA.

View attachment 136925

Shameless promotion of the iphone recordings...

By the way, your california dreaming cover was awesome! do you do vocoder live? if so HOW (i've been trying to. get that set up for YEARS). Regardless, it sounds awesome.

Reactions: TAE
I strongly dislike the whole Eilish image and the "Pop" subgenre of pop music as a whole. Like @Papanate I would be wary of putting too much faith in stories -- "humble beginnings" are known to be exaggerated by artists of all stripes. But still, I (somewhat grudgingly) acknowledge that they are quite successful at what they do.
I see where you are coming from. No doubt. and i'll add i've been thinking a lot about how much the industry pushes this narrative. hear me out. The whole 'you can make music just on your laptop you don't even need a good mic/midi/speakers' argument is NOT true. I mean yes you can make music like that, and honestly it might sound alright if you are talented enough. But I think the reason they tell you that is because Big Labels know that talent is not what sells (for the most part). Like id argue if you gave me a week to find some talented artists I can put together a list of 10 artists more talented than Taylor Swift, Drake, Bad Bunny, etc. in every aspect. What they don't have is the resources. And to an extent thankfully social media has began to even the playing field for marketing, but the last thing labels want; is for independent musicians to compete in recording quality. so they help push the narrative of 'bedroom recordings with no equipment' and gate-keep studios...

and that was what mainly got me into this studio rental stuff... Like what if those 10 artists i found that are more talented than then industry plants, what if they had a few more tools. what if you couldn't tell the difference between one of the 10 artists and Drake if you didn't know who was who.

When we get all hotty totty
In England, we say "Hoity Toity."
I remember when I first started out, I had a really difficult time finding equipment / spaces to record (without spending way too much money) and without sacrificing quality...

I decided I could help other music studio owners like myself do the same. I have a bit of experience building websites, so i built a website which lets you upload, rent out, and make money off your idle studio space!! There is nowhere on the market for at-home studios to do this, but at-home studios is exactly what local independent musicians need!
I think it's a good idea in principle. It wouldn't appeal to me personally and it probably won't appeal to many users of this board because most of us are home recorders with our own home studios in one guise or another.
But not everyone wants a home studio. Not everyone wants the hassles of drumkits, loud amps etc. Not everyone wants fights with the neighbours and going through the recording learning curve. Not everyone wants to go through setting up and taking down and optimizing one's home space for recording with treatment. Not everyone wants to mix. Or learn to be a faux-engineer.
So I can see people taking on board this idea. I can see young college guys utilizing it to make that one album or that one song that may lead to something else.
It's nearly always easier to find reasons why something can't/won't work than to try things out and actually see whether they can.

By the way, your california dreaming cover was awesome! do you do vocoder live? if so HOW (i've been trying to. get that set up for YEARS). Regardless, it sounds awesome.
Thanks for the compliment.... That is a TC helicon voicelive harmonizer and though you can use them live, unfortunately you can't do them live the way I did that recording ...strictly headphones or it sounds terrible. The way I was able to slide in and out on the harmonies is because I am using two mics and the harmonizer is always on. I move over to the harmonized mic and then back to the regular mic that just has some reverb on it...very cool effect so much more control that using the abrupt on / off button. With the harmonizer mic on all the time if I was to have the audio coming out of monitors or a PA the harmonizer mic would pick up that audio and it sounds like blurred garbage. You can use it live you just have to switch it off and on as you need it. Just won't have that smooth transition that is the beauty of that type of recording.

Thanks for the compliment.... That is a TC helicon voicelive harmonizer and though you can use them live, unfortunately you can't do them live the way I did that recording ...strictly headphones or it sounds terrible. The way I was able to slide in and out on the harmonies is because I am using two mics and the harmonizer is always on. I move over to the harmonized mic and then back to the regular mic that just has some reverb on it...very cool effect so much more control that using the abrupt on / off button. With the harmonizer mic on all the time if I was to have the audio coming out of monitors or a PA the harmonizer mic would pick up that audio and it sounds like blurred garbage. You can use it live you just have to switch it off and on as you need it. Just won't have that smooth transition that is the beauty of that type of recording.
I have a similar, TC Helicon Harmonizer which may or may not be the same model you have. My unit has a "thicken button" on it, which I only toyed with once or twice. The harmonizing features works quite well, but as you stated, it sounds decent on headphones, but not so great live, or recording.

@TAE, you have the flash drive I sent your way last year. Listen again to the song "The River" that I recorded with Dan Thompson aka dtb here at HR. I recorded my vocal using the TC, posted it here, at RP, and a couple of other sites. The majority of responses was that it was a good song, but the vocal wasn't good.

I agreed then with those opinions and I still do. I could have done much better singing the harmony parts myself rather than employing an electronic device to sing harmony parts for me.

Back