What do we do now?

Regarding the Comp CD--a good idea. I am willing to contribute music to that if needed. I'll also buy a copy. Do it as a CD-R, simple insert and label. Let's get Waldo up and running strong. Worthy cause.

I'm also thinking of doing a limited edition "benefit" CD of my own, with all profits going to Nowhere radio. I need to figure out the details and see if its feasable. I'd like to see Nowhere stay alive--AND get to Nowhere4. Its such a great resource. The clinic needs it and I need it.

Life without Waldo would suck...

fprod south said:
I just threw in $50.

Ditto. Don't really have a need for an account yet, but I want it to be around when I do. And it's worth it just for the ease of being able to stream people's stuff here, and not have to deal with going to a million different sites to dl songs.

Keep up the good work Waldo.

travis

I think W. should stop giving it up for free. Unlimited, immediately available space for the normal price. Most of the NWR users will likely stay on, because the alternatives are obviously, well...just alternatives.

I'm probably behind on recent developments since it's 5:30 AM and I'm just gettintg my first cup of joe in, but why do we need donations when he could just charge for the space. I'm referring to the 15 free MB's. Ditch it.

I can not believe I am one of only 30 users who has been paying for the service for a year!

People are so used to getting shit for free on the net that, rather than have their whole reportiore available to the world at NWR, they'll just have 2 or 3 songs when for $2.50 a month....

$2.50 a MONTH

...for $2.50 a month you can post all you like.

What the fuck.

WATYF said:
the link Sam posted in the very first post is to a thread that no longer exists.... so what's the deal?!?!?

what'd I miss??

WATYF

It was a thread where Waldo said that things were down and "it might be permanent."

That's why I started this reactionary thread, and NOT because I felt like starting trouble.. :D

maybe some good will come out of this..

..oh, you were just trying to start trouble..........:D

It seems like the Home rec soap opera really gets fired up every couple of months or so..... .....lotsa soap boxes, and casting down. .....entertaining :)

....uh oh, now im starting trouble.........:rolleyes:

i feel like an ass...i am always strapped for cash...and cant help out right now...i want to...i would love to have unlimited space....

dont worry...i wont post any more tunes here :)

The beauty of making your own decisions is that the truth is available to you and you use it.

If you've got enough money to support Nowhere, do it. If you don't have enough money to support Nowhere, don't sweat it. The people who pay will carry it.

SLuiCe said:
I think W. should stop giving it up for free. Unlimited, immediately available space for the normal price. Most of the NWR users will likely stay on, because the alternatives are obviously, well...just alternatives.

I'm probably behind on recent developments since it's 5:30 AM and I'm just gettintg my first cup of joe in, but why do we need donations when he could just charge for the space. I'm referring to the 15 free MB's. Ditch it.

I can not believe I am one of only 30 users who has been paying for the service for a year!

People are so used to getting shit for free on the net that, rather than have their whole reportiore available to the world at NWR, they'll just have 2 or 3 songs when for $2.50 a month....

$2.50 a MONTH

...for $2.50 a month you can post all you like.

What the fuck.

I was thinking the same thing. Probably belongs in the noewhere discussion board but....my questions for Waldo are this:
1. If you eliminate the free accounts will you lose your advertising clients? I mean if your only stream of revenue is 30 paid accounts @ 2.50 a month well that's a serious problem even if you double that by eliminating the free accounts.
2. Could you time limit the free accounts to hook users into buying the cheapest accounts on the net?
3. If you ditch the nowere 4 upgrade will that save any money?

Yeah, from now on questions like that I think should be posted in the NWR forums.

1) I've got no advertising 'clients', just a lousy ad service right now. Pays around $5USD a mo. right now.

2) That's getting into something I don't really want to do. I felt really bad about imposing the 15MB limits. Anyways, there will be some more limitations on free accounts. Check the NWR forums for a list of what is planned (under gear needed).

3) NWR4 is an absolute must, it will save money, and provide more possible streams of income. The servers are required to handle the increased load of traffic that exists now (all those complaints about being 'slow' is because of the mass of traffic). If NWR4 doesn't happen, NWR will go bye bye. How long? Deadline? Not 100% sure, if the server holds out, we might be able to survive as is for up to 6 mo.. I'd like to switch to new servers within a month or two however, so I can finish NWR4, etc.

W.

with regards to the comp CD idea,I have a duplicating service here and would be happy to do the first 50 discs absolutely free of charge to help out. I'd burn them,print black thermal labels and throw in the jewel boxes if anyone cared to do the inserts for them.

Anything I can do to help,lemme know!

Waldo, I think the solution to your problems are to decrease the upload limit(maybe to 10 or even 5Mb) - thats a way to keep it free and in the same time to provide the payin people the space they need;
reason is that I learned that when a good thing grows(even the best), it needs support - similar to the support I need for my rubbish mixes; and that costs! and you can't blame anyone that he doesn't(can't) pay
-- but in my opinion, the things that are good and real(like some idealistic Unix/Linux programmers) are those who are keeping it non-profit just for the purpose, but though, keeping in mind the money for living/survive thing -so, back to the subject - 10-5Mb limit for free accounts.
cheers and thanx fo NWR!

We'll have to see, since 15MB is just barely enough room for three tracks... One of the plans in the works is that NWR becomes finished works only, and StudioNoWhere takes on the load of 'in the works' projects, but the two tie together in a way...

Lots of stuff to work with there, I think first priority is to get on faster lines and a new server right now.

W.

Alright... alright...

NWR's (finally) got another paying member. :cool:

I've got my own space to post my tunes, but I do have a few on NWR.

More importantly, I like the ability to easily listen to other people's songs. I like the fact that there's no registration to listen. I also like the fact that it's free. I also like Waldo's green-faced avatar.
;)

Hope it helps.

TheRealWaldo said:
Myx,

If the link you are visiting is on NoWhereRadio, then the only explanation would be if you are using 'paranoia' software on your machine to 'fake' environment variables from being passed to the server.

This'll trigger the protection mechanisms on NWR, and you'll get that message!

W.
Waldo, I do have some of that paranoia software but it never did anything before? Anyway, like Kramer said the image is back on. Thanks for the reply...
Myx

Oh!There's Waldo!

My .02...

I'd like to encourage all and any nowhere users who use this forum to become a paying member of NWR(if your not already).I was just this morning freakin-tha-f*ck-out about this very subject and was gonna talk to Sab about it.He read my f*ckin' mind and now I'm sh*ttin' myself as I read this thread.(ESP is real...).My donation will be private,but I am more than willing to sponsor any other public donations.That site means alot to me.I've been to the rest and they don't have it like NWR.Waldo was good to me from the getgo.He allowed me the paying users space weeks before the check cleared.I will do all in my power to return that enormous favor and am overjoyed at the dedication and support from all you HR BBS Members.Thanx for renewing my faith and keep the ttrain moving ,don't let this fervor fade or diminish.We can keep NWR alive and well...you guys rule...(sniff,sniff)...even you mixmkr!

I really like the CD idea, and have thrown around the possibility before. I've recently ditched the company that was to handle the CD duping/printing for me, and can't afford the gear myself, so I kinda put the idea aside until I can raise enough to buy inhouse printing/duping gear.

If y'all have services and ideas about how to get around it, shout at me. I still have contacts with official presses, but they want cash up front to print up CDs, in minimum bunches of 500 (which gets into the $1000 range)

W.

Dear John Scott,

You have successfully signed up for a subscription
to Infinite mp3 space, 12 mo. (Jagular) using PayPal.

Your first subscription payment, for $27.50,
has already been sent to NoWhere Radio.

Done!!!

I'm in for the CD as well and I will be donating to NWR just for the hell of it a bit down the road (things is a little tight right now).

This is a great service and I want to see it continue and improve.

Just wanted to let you all know that because of the time that has passed, we're 'falling behind'. More than 3 months have gone by, so the money raised has been covering expenses, and thus dropping...

If anyone has ideas for fund-raisers or the sort, I'm going to need to raise $450USD in less than a month. $150-$200USD/mo. will just cover current expenses.

Some people have said 'donations' are on the way, I'm hoping they arrive in a timely manner.

How many people would buy a NWR t-shirt for $25-$35 (equivalent to a $10-$20 donation)?

W.

Back