• electric

Votes: 51 32.7%
  • acoustic

Votes: 92 59.0%
  • death to ALL diseased monkeys....

Votes: 13 8.3%

• Total voters
3/4 size acoustic

My first was a smaller acoustic when I was in 5th grade. Don't remember the brand or what happened to it.

I do remember playing "Michael Row the Boat Ashore" in a recital.

They probably wouldn't allow that song in a recital now because of the "hallelujah" part.

cognac432 said:
i want to learn how to play the guitar (not bass) real fast ,please help.
:)
Fast in what way?
You mean you want to be able to play soon or you want to finger the fretboard quickly?

I started out on a crappy Stella by Harmony. Nylon Black Diamond strings. Tiger stripes. :eek:

First electric was a Jap no-name righty flipped over to lefty. Intonation? Never heard of it. :rolleyes:

When I was about 11 I used to steal my older brothers nylon stung non-branded classical acoustic until on my 12th birthday when I got an Aria Legend J-Bass copy. Still use it for recording aswell, it comes with me to uni while my gigging bass is left at home with the band.

First guitar wasn't until a few months later when I got a Satellite (anyone else remember them?) kinda PRS-shape, 3/4 scale, one humbucker thing for £20 off of my older brother who'd just bought a Strat (a real strat! I still remember how excited I was playing it when he wasn't about). Didn't really learn any technique or real abiliity until the Fleetwood acoustic at 14 with a good 1/2" between the fretboard and strings - playing and writing on that for 3 years meant moving onto an electric I was just laughing. Then came the Tele, the SG, etc etc.....

Never actually owned a guitar amp though, used plenty of other peoples though and always had my bass amp if needed. Who needs an amp when you've got a PA and a POD though?

Neil Ogilvie said:
Never actually owned a guitar amp though, used plenty of other peoples though and always had my bass amp if needed. Who needs an amp when you've got a PA and a POD though?

I tried that for exactly one gig. I thought the Pod alone sounded pretty good until I got on stage with the other guitarist with his mic'ed Twin, and stepped out front to listen to the mains during sound check. Nothing I could do with the Pod could compete with the Twin in terms of tone, presence, solidity, etc.

I went back to my Super, though I did use the Pod in front of it as a processor for a while.

I started on a custom hand made koa acoustic, made by one of the best guitar builders on the planet (well, I think he is!)

That worked out well for me.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I started on a custom hand made koa acoustic, made by one of the best guitar builders on the planet (well, I think he is!)

That worked out well for me.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Certainly NOT a case of the cobbler's child not having shoes.:D

I played one in your shop the other day. Very , very nice. Beautiful wood and beautiful sound

I started out on a $20 dollar classical acoustic guitar that my mother bought for me at a Mexican street fair.
It had steel strings, was a pain to play, and it never sounded right.:rolleyes:

About a year later my mother bought me a Fender Strat, I still have it and I love it.

I started out on an acoustic. It was this p.o.s. Gremlin. Ahhh a horrible guitar. I still have nightmares about it. The body was made out of cardboard!!! It was like one of those crappy First Act toy guitars. I couldn't have hated it enough. I played that thing from when I was about 12 up to when I was 17 or 18 when I eventually bought my first electric. I can still clearly recall when after I brung my electric home and busted up the acoustic. I took a hammer to that thing. I think I may have even burned it. I haven't played an acoustic since that I can remember. When I want a clean sound I just play my electric with my amp on the clean channel.

All the electrics I've went through so far:

Yamaha RGX211 superstrat(my first electric, and still have it but don't play it. It needs new tuners, a new trem(which I would have blocked) a refret and new pups).

Washburn Dimebag sig(A nice guitar but didn't really like it. The neck was too fast and mostly bought it to be a showoff).

Epiphone G310(traded the Washburn in for this. What a mistake. But at the time had no idea that Dimebag would eventually be murdered and he ended up switching back to Deans) I ended up selling the Epi.

ESP/LTD Viper(I sold this one as well. Pretty nice but the neck felt "heavy" and didn't care for the sound of the EMG pups)

Gibson SG Standard(Finally my first proper SG after going through the Epi and the Viper.) I haven't played it for almost two years since it's been in a shop getting the back of the neck repainted. And why is it taking so long for a repaint you ask. Well the EPA is giving the luthier s*** about getting lacquer. I bought this new about 5 or 6 years ago and it's starting to "age".

Gibson SG Classic(Nothing much to say about it, a fairly basic model SG with P-90s) I bought this new a few months after my other SG ended up in the shop. I couldn't stand going without a guitar to play.

I've also been through two bases:

The first one was a Hofner copy like the one(s) McCartney plays/played. It was a Conrad. Not too bad. But what do I know. I was/am naive when it comes to basses. I actually "stole"...err...indefinitly borrowed this bass from my second cousin. But did a dumb thing with it. I took it into a shop to have the truss rod adjusted or replaced and never paid for the work. The shop either sold it or put it in a dumpster.

Soundgear by Ibanez bass. I bought it new sometime back in 2007. I still have this and it actually gets played. It isn't a good bass on account that it has active pups in it. The model is a SRX 390. I should've just bought a Fender P either new or used and forgot about this one.

Might as well get into amps:

Squier SKX15, I think(I bought this not too long after I got the Yamaha) A crummy, abused, small wattage practice amp. The distortion was stuck on, the tone knobs didn't do anything, and a had single 6" or 8" dry rotted paper cone speaker. I imagine this amp was probably part of one of those entry level beginer's packages that was paired with a budget model single pup Strat or Tele. I threw this amp away.

Dean Markley DMC10, I beleive. Not a bad amp. A basic solid state stereo combo with built-in chorus and reverb. But you had to a use a pedal if you wanted distortion. I wish I didn't sell it. I sold this along with the Epiphone to a friend of a friend.

Marshall JCM900 4100 fed through a single 300watt 8 ohm straight front cabinet. My first "serious" amp setup. I've had this for about 10 years so far. It mostly collects dust these days. The last time I fired this up was back in February or March of this year.

I was going to go through different effects but I think the above is enough to mention.

First guitar was a Silvertone 3/4 acoustic- one of those 50's Harmony-made ones. Mom paid $10 for it, to my Cub Scout Den Chief. Action was horrible, but I learned to play it, anyway. Mom also found a full-sized Silvertone that was otherwise a dead ringer for mine, and she took guitar lessons for a while, too. About a year later, when I had shown I some profficiency, and more importantly perserverance, my folks bought me a Telestar hollowbody electric for my birthday, then a Monkey-Wards "Model 6000" amp a few months later for Christmas.

I still have the Telestar, and found a replacement amp a few years ago, after foolishly selling my original at a garage sale. The Silvertones did not fare so well- I foolishly sold mine at a swap-meet when I lived in Tucson, and the side of my Mom's Silvertone SPLIT WIDE OPEN when I tried to tune it with the very old strings that were on it- those suckers would not break, so the guitar took the hit. A combination of not knowing, and thinking it would never be worth anything caused me to trash the guitar.

How sad. Maybe that's the reason I buy neglected and abused guitars at garage sales, and bring 'em back to life. Of course, the considerable profit I make on them is nice, too...

A POS Decca acoustic guitar when I was 13 or so. Atrocious action. Cost maybe $75 in the 60s. Lord knows you could do much better today with a beginner's guitar. Dumped it for an Alvarez acoustic in college which was marginally (very) better. Then picked up a Yamaha D-28 knockoff, which I still have. Pretty decent acoustic. Then a LP Standard, followed by a PRS bolt-on, followed by . . . . . . (insert GAS attack here).:D

1972 Martin D-28. My uncle bought in new, died a few years later and left it to my Dad, and it sat in a case for a few years before I took it out in the early '80s. It was difficult to play until a few months ago when I got it set up correctly :o

First guitar was an "Apollo" MIJ in 1969. It was a copy of a strat body but only had a single pup.
I switched to acoustic 3 years later and have never gone back. I never had the chops to play electric properly.

Back