What Audio Interface should I buy? +Some other things.

DARKSHINE

Okay. So I want to start recording on my computer now.
I have an Imac g5 1.8Ghz 1G RAM, running Logic Pro 8.
I have around $150AUD at the moment, but will be getting some more in a couple of weeks. I Have no idea what audio interface I should buy.
I want something not super great, or not totally dirt, just something decent.
I Need mic inputs and midi inputs for a keyboard.

I was also thinking of getting another 1G RAM for my imac, will this make Logic run more smoother overall? Because i don't want any lag when recording and what not.
And if anyone can let me know of some decent mics as well, that'd be great. Preferably for both Vocals and Amps. Not too expensive, not too cheap either.
This will be my first decent recording gear, so I'd like them to be stable and versatile. Should I get monitors as well? I have quite a small room so I don't know if I should.

If anyone could answer any of these, it'd be highly appreciated!
Thank you heaps!

Daniel

Okay. So I want to start recording on my computer now.
I have an Imac g5 1.8Ghz 1G RAM, running Logic Pro 8.
First thing you should do is PAY for a DAW... I'd suggest Reaper as a very attractive and affordible manner to enter the PC multitrack world... You should really consider it...

Logic is not so expensive these days -- maybe got a deal on in with the mac purchase? I run Logic Express 8 on a macbook (not pro) with 2 gigs RAM and a 2ghz dual core intel, and it runs fine. I think an extra gig of RAM is a good idea. The only issue I run into sometimes is recording a bunch of 96khz tracks simultaneously is too much for the hard drive -- I put a faster one in, but then it crashed, so I'm back to the 5400RPM stock drive :(

I started out with the Presonus Inspire 1394 -- it was good for high output mics, but a little weak for dynamic mics, and there was no midi interface. It had a decent sound, though. Remember that you can get standalone MIDI USB interfaces for fairly cheap. Without knowing more about your requirements (how many mics, and what type of music, how much more $ you'll have, etc.), it's tough to recommend something -- you might check out the Presonus Firebox and the MOTU Ultralite. I currently run a MOTU Traveler, which I got modified by Black Lion Audio, and I love it and have no urge to replace it - that's a little more $, though, and the mods are tougher if you're in Australia, due to all the shipping and stuff.

On the Mac, MOTU is king for reliability, IMHO. And yes, I would not run an Intel Mac with under 2GB of RAM... particularly if you ever run anything in Rosetta.... :)

On the Mac, MOTU is king for reliability, IMHO. And yes, I would not run an Intel Mac with under 2GB of RAM... particularly if you ever run anything in Rosetta.... :)

ohh right cool ill look into it.

And i don't think the iMac G5's were Intel Chips?

First thing you should do is PAY for a DAW... I'd suggest Reaper as a very attractive and affordible manner to enter the PC multitrack world... You should really consider it...

+1
I love Reaper, one of the best DAW Programs out there!

I would suggest an Maudio Delta 1010 and you can start off with a mixer that has 10 outs and a decent set of studo monitors and a couple of pairs of headphones and a headphone amp and you will be set.

this little mixer here also Has USB interface that you can record simontaneously on 2 tracks. has a little more versatility and works well together with the Delta 1010.
536004.jpg

And what makes you think that I didn't pay for it? :S
Just found it a bit suspect that you shelled out all the money for Logic Pro, with the budget you state for an interface of which you have no idea what you want... Just a hunch... I guess I was wrong... my apologies

Just found it a bit suspect that you shelled out all the money for Logic Pro, with the budget you state for an interface of which you have no idea what you want... Just a hunch... I guess I was wrong... my apologies

yes, quite wrong.

my uncle got me logic, when I got my mac he asked me if I needed any programs because he can get them for free or something. He works for some computer place, no idea what it is tho. Yeah so i got Logic Pro 8 and some other programs off him.

Yeah I may not have any proper equipment yet but I have software ready.
I didn't even say a budget, I just stated how much I had at this moment.
So swing your judgments elsewhere and actually tell me what you think is a good starting audio interface? Would be much more helpful. Thanks

and Thanks Rougetitan, i'll be looking into that. Don't know if I can afford that at the moment tho.
For the Delta 1010 I read this on a site.

" ** exceptions: Apple Dual 1.8 / 2.0 G5 PCI incompatible with Delta Series PCI cards Depending on the specific Apple G5 model you own, your computer may be equipped with PCI, PCI-X (introduced in August 2003) or PCI-Express (introduced in October 2005) expansion slots. Please note that PCI-Express uses an entirely different form factor than PCI or PCI-X. Existing PCI/PCI-X cards cannot be used or upgraded for use in PCI-Express expansion slots. This includes M-Audio's Delta and Revolution series of products."

I have a first generation 17" iMac 1.8Ghz G5 PowerPC i think.
Would that be compatible with my mac? Cause i have no idea where that delta sound card would go?

Okay and the list at the moment.

M-Audio Delta 1010 Audio Interface $200 (if it is compatible with my iMac)
Peavey PV 14 $350

So I think I might start with them, if anyone has any reason as to why not to get these two, can you reply and let me know.

Cheers

Okay so what about a good vocal mic now?
and some good starting monitors?
and what is a headphone amp for?
(sorry for the noob questions)

Last edited:
I would be more inclined to get an all in one box like the

Presonus Firestudio Project

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=43

or MOTU 8pre

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre/

I'd look at one of these if you need 8 pres. The quality of the pres and A/D D/A converters would be a little better than the Peavey-1010 combo for around the same price. Both these options would also me more flexible for adding more pres to and would be more portable if you wanted to take it out.

If you don't need all these pres and ins and outs, the Apogee Duet is a real bargain and offers excellent A/D D/A conversion and good pres!

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php

..or MOTU 8pre

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre/

I'd look at one of these if you need 8 pres. The quality of the pres and A/D D/A converters would be a little better than the Peavey-1010 combo for around the same price. Both these options would also me more flexible for adding more pres to and would be more portable if you wanted to take it out.

If you don't need all these pres and ins and outs, the Apogee Duet is a real bargain and offers excellent A/D D/A conversion and good pres!

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php

The pres on the new Peavey mixers are pretty darn good - I was surprised actually. Have you heard them? I would guess the pres on the MOTU are OK, hopefully better than the pres that were on the 896 I used to own.

I suggest looking into an Echo Audio AudioFire 12 for $500..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190198128831&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009
Then put some real money into decent stand-alone mic pres. I have yet to hear a computer interface with pres that do justice.

Echo is good stuff. Have a Layla 3G and love it. Pres IMO are actually pretty usable. What have you listened to or more importantly used at any length to formulate your opinon about computer interface pres?

yes, quite wrong.

my uncle got me logic, when I got my mac he asked me if I needed any programs because he can get them for free or something. He works for some computer place, no idea what it is tho. Yeah so i got Logic Pro 8 and some other programs off him.
Ok... yup I was wrong, you didn't steal Logic... your uncle did...

Back