What Audio Interface should I buy? +Some other things.

Mics to start: SM 57. monitors: NS-10.

Yeah i don't know why, but there is something about the SM 57's that i don't like. Every time I use one, I hate it, My voice just never sounds that great through them, however on other mics I've used before, my voice sounded decent. Can't remember what mic that was tho.

The Yamaha NS-10's are a bit too much for me, I only really want to use $400 - $500 AUD on monitors. But i probably won't use monitors for while anyway.

The Audio Fire 12 I like.
But yeah i'll have to get mic pres won't I ? that'll just end up too much money, I'm on a really tight budget.
The Audio Fire 8 seems good too.
Are the pre's good in that?

So much choice.
This is mainly for me at home, and possibly a band soon. Not a live band, but just for recording one track at a time. So the audio interface doesn't have to have too many features. Just something that will do that job perfect.

Thanks for the help =]

Consider the Yamaha i88x - has 8 inputs and 8 outputs, plug ADAT and MIDI and two GREAT preamps. I've got nothing but good things to say about this interface - it's served me well.

And, as a shameless plug, I have one for sale! PM me or check the classifieds. I'm upgrading as I need more preamps, but am sticking with Yamaha (N12 mixer).

Also, keep a watch for deals on Yamaha NS-10s. They pop up every now and then for $300. No other monitor is as ubiquitous - you can count on them being there as a reference in most studios. To me, that's a huge advantage.

This is mainly for me at home, and possibly a band soon. Not a live band, but just for recording one track at a time. So the audio interface doesn't have to have too many features. Just something that will do that job perfect.

Thanks for the help =]

Why are you talking about 8 channel units if you're only going to record one track at a time? Save some money and get one of these.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Echo-AudioFire2-2-Channel-Firewire-Audio-Interface?sku=245640

I'm studying music production and looking to hopefully open a home studio once I graduate. Obviously I need to purchase various aspects of the set-up by the time I've finished and am trying to figure out what I should spend my loan on this time round!

I don't want to buy something now that I am going to have to replace in a couple of year time. I have a macbook pro. Recording drums is an absolute must obviously so I need an interface with a large number of inputs. I looked at the focusrite saffire pro 40 and the tascam us 1-800 (although I have seen a few reported problems about running the tascam with a mac) and they look pretty good.

Also noticed a few recommendations for the Echo Audiofire 12 but this doesn't have mic inputs which is a problem (or am I missing something silly here?)

If anyone has any other recommendations it would be much appreciated. Any advice on other aspects of home studio gear would be great to.

Thanks
Alex

I'm studying music production and looking to hopefully open a home studio once I graduate. Obviously I need to purchase various aspects of the set-up by the time I've finished and am trying to figure out what I should spend my loan on this time round!

I don't want to buy something now that I am going to have to replace in a couple of year time. I have a macbook pro. Recording drums is an absolute must obviously so I need an interface with a large number of inputs. I looked at the focusrite saffire pro 40 and the tascam us 1-800 (although I have seen a few reported problems about running the tascam with a mac) and they look pretty good.

Also noticed a few recommendations for the Echo Audiofire 12 but this doesn't have mic inputs which is a problem (or am I missing something silly here?)

If anyone has any other recommendations it would be much appreciated. Any advice on other aspects of home studio gear would be great to.

Thanks
Alex

Doesn't your music production course teach you about interfaces?

Unfortunately my course seems to focus far more on the practical side so am trying to figure the rest out elsewhere. I am being taught how to use things, but not how they work, so to speak.

Back