What Audio Interface should I buy? +Some other things.

point is, i don't care where my uncle got it from. I have it.. end of story.
how about you both stay on topic.

can anyone answer my questions from my last post?
what's a good starting vocal mic?
and some decent monitors?
whats a headphone amp used for?

thanks

I have the M-Audio 1010 LT. Here are the requirement for Mac right from the owners manual

128MB RAM
G3 Recommended
Mac OS8.5.1 or higher
UDMA EIDE or Fast SCSI HDD recommended

My experience with the device running on PC has been only positive. It works without problems for me and the sound isn't bad. Certainly good enough to get you started. Have not tried the mic pre on it. I believe there was a recent discussion about this on this forum - can't seem to find it.

As for mics - try some searches in the mic threads for a boatload of answers.

Monitors - I love the Yamaha HS-80s I have. For the money little else can touch them. If you have a limited budget look at the Yamaha HS-60. Same sound but smaller. I was going to get them initially but after testing both models I chose the HS80 because the low end went lower.

The PCI, PCI-X, and PCIe cards won't work with an iMac. There is nowhere to put them in the all-in-one form factor.

The interface needs to be USB or Firewire.

Yeah I can't use the M Audio Delta 1010 on my Imac.

I may have to go with an all-in one rack like dickiefunk stated.

Probably go with the Presonus Firestudio Project.

By the way the Yamaha HS-80s are too much.
and there isn't much info on the Yamaha HS-60s. :S

cheers everyone

Hey guys.

I need to know what monitors I should use for at home.
It'd be good if I can get monitors that playback the recordings acurately enough that arn't to expensive either. Im willing to spend around $400AUD on monitors.

Cheers

search.gif

i've tried a ton of interfaces in the last couple of years. i really liked the echo audiofire12. the audiofire8 uses the same converters, but they only go up to 96khz (not a problem unless your hearing exceeds the typical human's by many fold).
currently i'm using an apogee duet into a mac mini 1.83ghz w/ 3gb ram running logic 8 and that combination is fantastic. the duet has the same converters and preamps as their pricier ensemble interface, but is limited to 2 inputs and outputs. for what i do, that's fine (went from the 12 i/o audiofire12 to this). the quality of the pres and converters is said to exceed that of apogee's highly regarded "mini" series. the tradeoffs are no soft limit on the channels and no built in dither, though logic has pow-r dither built in and the pres and converters have plenty of headroom. the duet is also a mac-only interface.
for monitors i'm really digging the adam a7's. i don't know what $400AUD will get you, but if you could get a set of Blue Sky EXO 2.1 that might serve you well.

Hey guys.

I need to know what monitors I should use for at home.
It'd be good if I can get monitors that playback the recordings acurately enough that arn't to expensive either. Im willing to spend around $400AUD on monitors.

Cheers

They're lots of good monitors in that price range but for the best bang for the buck I would get a pair of these for $250.00 shipped...

yeahh okay
Well dude I don't know what to say. People are making suggestions for things and you don't seem to be bothering to research them for yourself. You keep reposting the same questions that have been asked 100s of times before.
If you actually search the forum before asking questions like I do you might learn everything you need to know or at the very least be able to narrow down your choices so it's easier for people here to help you.

Well dude I don't know what to say. People are making suggestions for things and you don't seem to be bothering to research them for yourself. You keep reposting the same questions that have been asked 100s of times before.
If you actually search the forum before asking questions like I do you might learn everything you need to know or at the very least be able to narrow down your choices so it's easier for people here to help you.

Yeah I do research them mate.
I might not be the most smartest person when it comes to this stuff, but I've only just started with proper recording. All the suggestions people are making have helped me a lot, I just sometimes ask again to see what other peoples suggestions are, so I have a whole heap to choose from. Even tho half of the terms they use when talking about gear I have no idea about, and for the search, well I forgot there was one there. Sue me.

For the Yamaha HS-80s you suggested, they were too expensive for me.
And i couldn't find anything on the HS-60s? So if you know where you can buy them, could you link me please?
Sorry if I came across as an idiot.
It's just hard getting all this equipment suggested for me. When people are talking about preamps, tradeoffs.. dithers? A/D D/A Converters.. i mean, I know how to run and work a DAW, my musician skills are fine, but all this technical talk when it comes to hardware, i feel like i know nothing. even a list of terms would be good.

meh. thanks anyway

iirc audiomidi dot com will ship to australia. i think gorty here was able to get them to ship him some stuff, but you may need to call or email them to work everything out first. they have good prices on stuff.

there is that, and also the fact that many (maybe most) folks here will not support (no pun intended) the use of pirated software. people like you are one of the reasons that people like me are in debt. as the price of software creeps up to compensate for software thieves like yourself, honest users like me are forced to take up the slack. in fact, i am fairly certain that users of pirated software are prohibited at this site--- it is fact a lot of other forums are that way. i would think that the search function wouldve told you that as well. but hey, if you can live with it, so can i--- just dont expect a lot of help.
a

there is that, and also the fact that many (maybe most) folks here will not support (no pun intended) the use of pirated software. people like you are one of the reasons that people like me are in debt. as the price of software creeps up to compensate for software thieves like yourself, honest users like me are forced to take up the slack. in fact, i am fairly certain that users of pirated software are prohibited at this site--- it is fact a lot of other forums are that way. i would think that the search function wouldve told you that as well. but hey, if you can live with it, so can i--- just dont expect a lot of help.
a

wow.
okay, well, if your talking to me...
as i already stated, my uncle gave me logic. Its an official copy, real cd and box you idiot.
seriously, i come here to learn more about recording and i get morons like you.

wow.
okay, well, if your talking to me...
as i already stated, my uncle gave me logic. Its an official copy, real cd and box you idiot.
seriously, i come here to learn more about recording and i get morons like you.

good for you. welcome to the ignore list. maybe you should ask your awesome uncle these questions. maybe he can steal some more stuff for you.
a

good for you. welcome to the ignore list. maybe you should ask your awesome uncle these questions. maybe he can steal some more stuff for you.
a

ah just give up asshole.
who knows if he bought it or not, but it was all official and box wasn't opened. It also had a price sticker on it, so he probably bought it I'm guessing, he's quite well off.. just stop assuming things and cry somewhere else.
I want to use this forum how it's supposed to be used, you just waste my time.

Back