Vocal Trap

zbert

In the swamps of Jersey
This one is based on the ModTrap I saw in the Mic thread. I guess I'll do a post for each step. I bought a shadow box from a craft store for $18. Yes it would be much cheaper to build one but I'm too lazy to build my own. Nice balck color with trim so it looks pro. I bought a 48" piece of metal with the holes pre drilled. I may go back to Home Depot and get a heaver piece of metal as this one shakes. Once again all the holes were in this already so less thinking to do on my part. I also bought two knobs and the female ends. This was all around $13. The rest of the materials I had around the house.

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 933
First thing I did was grab a couple of pieces of wood and drilled holes for the threaed ends. Lined them up in the box and drilled through. Installed the threaded section and glued the wood to the box.

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 888
I then cut some Owens 703. I only had 1" so I doubled it.

Attachments

• IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 884
  • IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 864
Ater the glue dried I placed a piece of materal in the box and then set the 703. BTW my 5 year old took the pic of me. I'm pretty proud of him.

Attachments

• IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 866
  • IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:
I put the back of the box back on to hold the 703 in. BTW I put the back on backwards because it has a nice black material that was for the inside of the box for mounting. Now it gives a finished look to the back.
Next I took the piece of metal and bent it by hand to size. I used a mic stand that has a removeable thread. To give me something easy to remove the unit I used the bottom of broken mic clip.

Attachments

• IMG_2561.jpg
    IMG_2561.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 876
And here is the finished product. As I had some of the needed material in my house I had to pay a bit over $30 for what I bought. Took only a couple of hours to do. As soon as I have someone over who can really sing I'll do a with and without sample.
Tom

Forgot the pictures. Here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpg
    IMG_2563.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 917
  • IMG_2564.jpg
    IMG_2564.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 911
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

I'll be doing something similar. Not quite sure how I want to do it yet, but this gives me ideas.

Cool.

im curious... why even use the vocal traps? what exactly do they do?

Welcome to the boards and that's an excellent question. It is also a perfect time (after your first post) is to tell you to use the search function. The answer and many discussions about acoustics can be found that way. They explain, much better than I could, about acoustics. A great place to start (and I don't work for the guy) would be realtraps.com. Ethan has some great info there. Good luck and again, welcome.

I am incredibly impractical. Would I be able to access all these material in the UK, as it seems as though they are much easier to get hold of in the US.

I would think you should be able to find most of the products. I have a friend in the London area. I'll have to wrie him about the 703 or like material.

I noticed a huge difference.
I'm a gonna build me one.
I've already got everything i need here in the garage.
thanks for posting that.

one more thought....

I guess the semi circle or v shaped design would remove even more
room, but with a figure 8 having the side nulls, not needed as much?

Great job on the building... very ingenious and creative solution. Great pics by the young'n also! :)

I did hear a more "dry" sound with the trap. Honestly, I was expecting more of a difference.

In listening, I pretty much focused on the vocalist's performance. It was well-recorded to begin with, I felt. With the guitar, I didn't notice any difference. Maybe because it was a pretty "active" song, with lots of strumming. Did you angle it down when recording the acoustic? How far was the mic from the guitar? Or did you record it straight on? With the vocalist, I noticed maybe a 20% difference ... with the vocals sounding a bit tighter and upfront on my first listen. Then, when I heard it the second time, I felt that it was more of a 10% difference. I'll admit, I was kind of expecting more of a difference with your device.

Do you think this could be because it is only in front of the mic? I would be interested in hearing what three of these bad boys would sound like: one behind the mic, and one on each side, creating a type of "enclosure."

Anyway, if it's working for you... don't mind me. Kudos to your creativity. Thanks for all of your efforts and for sharing this stuff.

Back