Vocal Trap

Thanks for all the kind words. I think I like the V shaped unit I made more than this one. Maybe part of the issue of difference in sound is I have about 14 703 panels in my room to begin with. Also the position of where I record vocals is right in front of my cubicle panels. So the room is pretty tame to begin with. These panels just make it even better. The recording I did was with a TnC 1200 mic. I did that because I have the mic out to be modded so I wanted a recording to A/B. The mic was set up pretty straight ahead. I really should have done the sample in a crappy sounding room. I think you would have heard a bigger difference. Anyway I'm adding a couple of pictures to show the position of where I recorded.

Attachments

• IMG_2674.jpg
    IMG_2674.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_2675.jpg
    IMG_2675.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 516
Thanks for all the kind words. I think I like the V shaped unit I made more than this one. Maybe part of the issue of difference in sound is I have about 14 703 panels in my room to begin with. Also the position of where I record vocals is right in front of my cubicle panels. So the room is pretty tame to begin with. These panels just make it even better. The recording I did was with a TnC 1200 mic. I did that because I have the mic out to be modded so I wanted a recording to A/B. The mic was set up pretty straight ahead. I really should have done the sample in a crappy sounding room. I think you would have heard a bigger difference. Anyway I'm adding a couple of pictures to show the position of where I recorded.

That's gotta be why I couldn't hear more of a difference. I felt the one without the trap sounded pretty good to begin with.

Since writing above, I've seen your other thread with your V shaped creation... and that one looks like something that could be more effective. I'm mulling over what I want to do. I was thinking of buying the sE Electronics $299 unit, but I was turned off when I found out how heavy the unit is, and that I would have to buy another stand.

The "v" shaped one is good trap. Not my idea at all. I got it from idea Real Traps. If you go on their site they have a comparison between the V shaped one and the SE.
If you use light woods like I have it will mount on the same stand as your mic.

I had an idea. Have you ever thought about getting a room divider (those decorative things that people have... usually with oriental designs)? Most of the ones I've seen are have three panels... I would take off the third one. And of course, it would have to be high enough... 6-7 feet. I know I can probably find one on craigslist for $20 or so.

But you could take that, and cover the divider's panels with the sound material, and then the fabric.

You could use this for vocals, put it in a corner... use it in front of a miked amp...

Any thoughts?

Well my first thought is why didn't I think of that. You may have to build a frame insinde the divider because of the thickness of the 703. But that should be pretty easy. Great idea. Take pics if you do the project.

Great idea, Fernando! If you go forward with it, please share with us.

I could use that in my small ( 9.5 X 14 feet) studio.

This is going to sound really dumb, but after looking at your pictures and ethans, I still dont understand how it rests on the microphone stand.

Could you explain or maybe post a picture?

Thanks!

This is going to sound really dumb, but after looking at your pictures and ethans, I still dont understand how it rests on the microphone stand.

Could you explain or maybe post a picture?

Thanks!

Take a look at post #5. That's the mounting bracket. I purchased a stock piece of aluminum with the holes already in it from Home Depot. I used a large drill bit to widen the hole. The aluminum bar went over the threaded center of the mic stand. I used the bottom section of a mic clip to hold it in place. I then bent the aluminum bar by hand to fit the trap.

Outstanding design

I really like this simple and cost effective way of making a sound trap. I might use it myself for an overhead sound trap or maybe a \__/ shaped sound trap. I also like the idea of using an oriental screen. I live in Japan so they are a dime a dozen here... maybe I can pick one up next flea market! If I make, I will send pictures.

Steve

Back