Unusual Guitar

Burl likes to make unique stuff.

His pencil guitar was very colorful! He's made a few different versions.

Years ago, the guys at Heritage Guitars did a laminate guitar called the Gerry Gessie Little One.

alt=

Burl likes to make unique stuff.

His pencil guitar was very colorful! He's made a few different versions.

Years ago, the guys at Heritage Guitars did a laminate guitar called the Gerry Gessie Little One.

View attachment 141541

The problem is, that it’s not really a guitar made from pencils as much as it’s a guitar made from epoxy with pencils in it. These guys are just click bait artists. The copper guitar would be unusable at a gig because of how heavy it is.

Gee, I don't know.... it 40 lbs too heavy for a guitar? :unsure: The pencil guitar is probably 60%+ of pencils.

My first guitar was a Dano made Silvertone from the 60s. I always said it was made with the finest masonite tonewood available. Wow, was that thing cheap! Masonite is one step above cardboard in construction and two steps below plywood.

alt=

Gee, I don't know.... it 40 lbs too heavy for a guitar? :unsure: The pencil guitar is probably 60%+ of pencils.

My first guitar was a Dano made Silvertone from the 60s. I always said it was made with the finest masonite tonewood available. Wow, was that thing cheap! Masonite is one step above cardboard in construction and two steps below plywood.

View attachment 141547
I’ve owned dozens of vintage Danelectro guitars. I currently have 5, I think?

I bet it’s 60% epoxy. Epoxy is acoustically dead sounding. We only use it for resetting ovation necks and fixing the broken headstocks on the clear acrylic BC Rich import models. Epoxy guitars are also too heavy to be practical.

View attachment 141547
Masonite is basically just compressed paper. When I was in Nashville I was friends with Jerry Jones and we used to joke about how much better vintage Masonite sounded.

When I finished my undergraduate degree, I got a job playing on a cruise ship. I bought an Ovation because it was pretty good on the ocean. Not a fan of them at all, but for that application it worked well.

I almost bought a black 12 string for $300 a couple weeks ago because it seemed like a good deal, but I would never play it. I have always wanted one of their nylon string models.

I once had a Celebrity Ovation acoustic, sort of in a clutch needed something I could plug in without breaking the bank, limited budget college student at the time. Cheap guitar was cheap, uncomfortable to play piece of junk, neck warped & twisted, bellied behind the bridge, concave at the sound hole. Bounced it off the table one night, had never smashed a guitar and for some reason, maybe obvious, I felt the irresistible urge to do so. Upset my brother so I stopped. Some guy, "I'll take it." I was okay with that(maybe slightly disappointed), brother okay with that(maybe slightly disappointed), some poor bastard on a forum somewhere, "I once had a Celebrity Ovation..."

An unusual guitar that looked like the 'future' back in the 80's. A Roland GR-707.

Darn I had one of those!!! Unfortunately lost it in a house fire in 2016, but I loved that beast. Had the effects unit that came with it too (can't remember what it was called). I recorded some cool stuff with it.

I may be weird because I have an Ovation Custom Legend AX Contour (also lost that in the fire but replaced it) and I love it, never had a problem playing or holding it?????

Here's an SG 'bassitar' ? A 6-string guitar with all guitar strings removed and replaced with only 2 bass guitar strings. Here you see (and hear) it in action :

The Presidents of the United States

Back