New guitar for Greg - Kapow! (lots of pics and review)

No, actually that sounds like exactly what happened. Very cool!

You have a great ability to analyze and describe sound, so that really helps with something like this.

My custom pickup is called the rush limbaugh, so I'm surprised they allowed yours to be called the fat pig, as that seems like copywrite infringement...
Lol. Thanks heat.

First time I've seen this post. That is a sweet looking guitar.
Thanks dude. It's awesome! :D

Lol. Check out Greg Brady on his Mosrite. :D

6r4y01.png

Hi, Greg - I've been staying away from the site because of annoying flash player pop-ups all the time, but I had to respond to this post. That's a lovely looking instrument, but does it have that elusive Ramones tone?! :D

I'm kind of worried that taking all the bad things out of a Mosrite would take away its "Mos-rightness", so to speak. Some aspects of my Jag are a real pain, but I have to accept there are some things it's shit at. It's shit at big bends, it's shit at clean sustain, it has a weird ringing that comes from the harmonics of the bits of the strings behind the bridge. But if I plug it in and play some Cure or Elvis Costello tracks, then no other guitar is as right as that one. Hard to explain.

Hi, Greg - I've been staying away from the site because of annoying flash player pop-ups all the time, but I had to respond to this post. That's a lovely looking instrument, but does it have that elusive Ramones tone?! :D
Thanks Bubba. It will get quite Ramones-ish. The early Johnny sound is definitely in there - even more so with the brighter pickup. I'll put up a clip here shortly.

I'm kind of worried that taking all the bad things out of a Mosrite would take away its "Mos-rightness", so to speak. Some aspects of my Jag are a real pain, but I have to accept there are some things it's shit at. It's shit at big bends, it's shit at clean sustain, it has a weird ringing that comes from the harmonics of the bits of the strings behind the bridge. But if I plug it in and play some Cure or Elvis Costello tracks, then no other guitar is as right as that one. Hard to explain.

The alleged bad things about original Mosrites are all playability issues. It has nothing to do with tone. The necks are narrow and thin on real Mosrites and many people simply don't like playing them. That supposedly was the reason The Ventures got away from them. I don't have enough experience with real Mosrites to have an opinion one way or the other. The few real Mosrites I've played over the years didn't seem too bad to me, but I'm just a hack. I've always said that I wanted a Mosrite looking and sounding guitar built like a Les Paul. I even toyed with the idea of building my own, then I found this one. Set neck, "Gibson"-ish scale length, zero-fret, vintage style trem that stays in tune, and it looks and sounds exactly like a Mosrite. It's just right.

guitar player/world (one of them) just did a review on several Hallmark gits and one was the 60's in that purple with the white p'ups.

OMG ......... drool.

I'm really sorry i'm so poor nowadays ...... 'cause I really want one.

Bubba Po mentioned a Ramones sound from this guitar earlier.....

Here's a little snippet of a song I'm working on with an *attempt* at an early Johnny Ramone sound.

that's an all around kick-ass punchy sound!

what's that sound around 47-50?...using the toggle switch or some fast pick action?

that's an all around kick-ass punchy sound!

what's that sound around 47-50?...using the toggle switch or some fast pick action?

Thanks Mick.

That little bit at :45 is through a Boss TR-2 Tremolo pedal. I banged a chord and as it faded into feedback I reached down and twirled the rate knob to speed it up and slow it down.

Greg, that snippet is pretty close to the early sound. I like it - reminds me of that 1st Live LP from London.
I noted in a few live vids that some of the Ramones drummers weren't hard hitters - seemed like a lot of amplification. I know it was Tommy's "sound" but who was the best drummer of the batch?

Greg, that snippet is pretty close to the early sound. I like it - reminds me of that 1st Live LP from London.
I noted in a few live vids that some of the Ramones drummers weren't hard hitters - seemed like a lot of amplification. I know it was Tommy's "sound" but who was the best drummer of the batch?

Thanks Ray.

I think Marky Ramone was the best Ramones drummer. His powerful and punchy style fit the band the best. He had to adapt to it though. Before the Ramones he was a very good and technical proggy metal drummer. :laughings:

Back