Custom SG build

The wings and cloud didn't really work then or now. Mind you a tribute like this isn't meant for fixing errors from the 1st iteration.
Didn't Harrison have it for a period as well?

The wings and cloud didn't really work then or now. Mind you a tribute like this isn't meant for fixing errors from the 1st iteration.
Didn't Harrison have it for a period as well?

As I recall (and there's a great Vintage Guitar Mag article on it), Clapton gave it to Harrison. Shortly after that, Jacky Lomax ended up with it (some say he stole it) and sold it to Todd Rundgren for $500. He used it for years and was forced to sell it to pay some IRS debt. And I agree, I never liked some of the coloring. But it is an amazing piece non the less.

So I finally got everything back and brought it out to a gig. Ended up changing the pots again because I couldn't stand the taper. The enamel finish (the actual artwork was hand painted in enamel and then oversprayed with clear enamel) is still a bit tacky and holy hell is the '57 Classic (in the bridge) bright but what a great guitar. It's light but hangs well. With the new pots, all of the controls are incredibly responsive and the guitar just screams, growls, barks; whatever you want. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I believe my total cost finished just under $800 for everything (including a nice tweed hard shell case). I put up some tones both here and in the tone thread when I get a chance.

IMG_0008.JPGIMG_0007.JPGIMG_0011.JPGIMG_0009.JPG

Yes please. Wanna hear it.

Let's see if this works SG Tones!

I was using a '66 Fender Bassman head with a 2x12 closed back cabinet (speakers are 25 year old Jensen Bluebell clones). Volume 5.5, and Bass and treble are 8.5. The rhythm track is just guitar and amp through the neck pickup (from my EPI DOT) and the lead is done as follows first and third pass just the neck. Second pass is both pickups. I also used a Jekyll and Hyde pedal (kind of a tube screamer and an OCD in the same pedal) for the lead only and used the overdrive (tube screamer) section. Settings on the pedal, Drive 10 o'clock, tone at 2 o'clock, volume at 1 o'clock with the bass boast on. I used an SM 57 pointing away from the dust cap, almost touching the grill. I also have the cab stacked vertically and mic'd the top speaker.

I should note the amp was recorded in my closet (I'm not happy with the recordings in there so I'm just starting to experiment with some other areas to record them)and this was quick and dirty for some tone samples.

Back