Unable to setup Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 with Cubase 5

wolfmandim

Hello,

I came across your site in the Internet and I believe I need your guidance.
I am using Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 on my Win 10 x64 desktop computer. My DAW is Cubase 5. My speakers are a set of BOSE Companion 20 and they are connected to the soundcard on the back of my computer.
The steps I followed so far:
1. Connected Scarlett 2i4 to a USB port.
2. Installed latest drivers as downloaded from the manufacturer.
3. The unit is powered.
4. Control Panel>Sound>Playback selected Speakers as default.
5. Control Panel>Sound>Recording selected Line in 3-Scarlett 2i4 USB as default.
6. Started Cubase 5>Devices>Device Setup>VST Audio System and selected Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver.
7. Opened Cubase 5>Devices>VST Connections-Inputs and I only see Inputs 1/2 at Device Port.
8. Opened Cubase 5>Devices>VST Connections-Outputs and I only see Outputs 1/2 at Device Port.
9. Connected a mic on Scarlett 2i4 but I cannot get any sound at all.

Can you please tell me what am I missing here? Are my connections wrong?
Kindly provide your lights!

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I came across your site in the Internet and I believe I need your guidance.
I am using Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 on my Win 10 x64 desktop computer. My DAW is Cubase 5. My speakers are a set of BOSE Companion 20 and they are connected to the soundcard on the back of my computer.
The steps I followed so far:
1. Connected Scarlett 2i4 to a USB port.
2. Installed latest drivers as downloaded from the manufacturer.
3. The unit is powered.
4. Control Panel>Sound>Playback selected Speakers as default.
5. Control Panel>Sound>Recording selected Line in 3-Scarlett 2i4 USB as default.
6. Started Cubase 5>Devices>Device Setup>VST Audio System and selected Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver.
7. Opened Cubase 5>Devices>VST Connections-Inputs and I only see Inputs 1/2 at Device Port.
8. Opened Cubase 5>Devices>VST Connections-Outputs and I only see Outputs 1/2 at Device Port.
9. Connected a mic on Scarlett 2i4 but I cannot get any sound at all.

Can you please tell me what am I missing here? Are my connections wrong?
Kindly provide your lights!

Thanks in advance!

My first question would be in regards to the second line in your question. Speakers connected to the back of your computer? You want them connected to your interface.

As for some of the other questions:

7: That is all you should see.
8: That is odd.
9: Do you have signal from the interface via headphones?

Maybe try installing the driver with unit in a different USB port. Something seems odd. Does the 2i4 have W10 drivers?

^ what Jimmy said.

The interface is your sound card for recording purposes - plug your speakers into it, not your computer.

The type of cable of my speakers only fits to my sound card of the computer.
Is there a way to connect them directly to the Scarlett 2i4?
By the way, I have tried a different USB port with no success...

I take it you're using standard stereo or bookshelfy type speakers? You may need an adaptor to hook them up. What connectors do they have?

The purpose of the audio interface is to do just that, be the interface between what you're recording and your PC, which effectively is just a processing engine/graphical interface. So the AI becomes your soundcard and you need to set up your PC so that all sound that you're recording into and playing out from Cubase (or whatever) is going via the AI. It's not difficult, but you have to do it. There are usually instructions with the various AIs as to how to do this with Windows / Mac etc. Have a read.

Have a read of the sticky up above it that doesn't make sense.

Re. point 9 - the lack of sound isn't necessarily an issue at this point - note that Jimmy asked you whether you were getting any signal via headphones. Do you have headphones? If so, plug them into the AI and tell us what you can hear, if anything.

I will check my headphones tonight..
The speaker cable is a 3.5 mm stereo plug. I will try an adapter with 2 RCA males connect from speakers to Scarlett directly. I will keep in touch...

I checked my headphones with the Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver.
No sound comes out.
I also tried with 2 RCA males connections from speakers to Scarlett directly (Outputs 1/2 or 3/4). Also changed Windows sounds to Line out /Scarlett. No sound at all.
Any suggestions?

Back