Tubes for an Ampeg Tube Combo Amp?

If it has 7027A tubes the amp must use them, 6550 or KT88.

7027A can have somewhat different sizes. I know as I have had two Ampeg VT-22 amps (still have one) and back in the day things were a bit different.
Anyway, I once replaced two of mt four 7027A tubes and they were very scarce (no internet yet....no Chinese or Russian tubes, etc). I had to take what I could find and Radio Shack was all I could find. They were a different size that the others.....and the amp really lost it's balls.

Hey guys....the customer asked that only 1 tube be replaced because he didn't have the $$ for both. The tech did what he was asked to do. Period. It's not his fault that the customer's request was for less than the best. What are you guys...a bunch of democrats trying to make the customer the "victim" here. What a load of crap. Don't you hate it when a tech tries to pontificate to you about stuff??? Maybe they are correct in their knowledge but I hate it when they get all superior about it. I love ampeg stuff, my favorite amp of all time was a 40 watt 4x10 honey that would kick a marshall's ass. Next fave..a GU-12 with an EV12L.

chazba

Chazba is right here, I did ask for only one tube at the time. But the tech assured me it wouldn't damage the amp, cause I asked if it would be safe doing that, otherwise I would have probably just waited and kept using one of my band mates amps like I was already doing before that. I haven't noticed anything that I would think of as damage thus far, but from what the posters above describe, it sounds like something terrible could happen every time I turn it back on. If there are real risks in using the amp in these conditions then thats something that the tech should have made clear. He just said it wouldn't sound very good till I replace both, there by letting me use it for shows till I could.

Back to my last question though, would any of those tubes listed a couple of posts ago be something I can pick from, or do I have to go back to JJ 6L6GC's? It does say on the amp 6L6GC to describe where the power tubes go, but are the JJ's the only option? What will give me the best sound quality for recording?

Last edited:
Back to my last question though, would any of those tubes listed a couple of posts ago be something I can pick from, or do I have to go back to JJ 6L6GC's? It does say on the amp 6L6GC to describe where the power tubes go, but are the JJ's the only option? What will give me the best sound quality for recording?

hey mongoo. any 6L6 tube will work just fine in your amp. each one will sound a little different and you can buy different types and brands to experiment with your amp tone.

as far as recording, it's not the tubes but the technique you use in recording your amp. first get the guitar tone you want out of your amp, then experiment with mic placement...different angles and positions in front of the speaker until you find the spot that sounds best to you.

good luck!

Back