Tube amp head and speaker question

cusebassman

Freakin' sweet
So, I have a considerable amount of plywood and other building materials laying around that will go to waste since I am looking to move to NYC in the next couple months (from central NY), and I am contemplating building a speaker iso box, which I can use to record electric even in an apartment. If it doesn't work out, no worries, the wood was about 20 bucks, and until I see that it functions, Im not investing any more money it.

My question:

I play through a Fender Blues DeVille 4x10" combo, the "head" of which puts out 60 watts into 8 ohms. Each of the 4 10" speakers is 8 ohm, 30 watts. If I were to use one of the cab speakers (or a separately purchased speaker of the exact same type), would I run the risk of harming the head? Since its the same ohm rating, I would imagine the only risk would be blowing out the single 30 watt speaker at too high a volume, but I don't intend to play with the head up very high anyway.

Last edited:
So, I have a considerable amount of plywood and other building materials laying around that will go to waste since I am looking to move to NYC in the next couple months (from central NY), and I am contemplating building a speaker iso box that might slide under a risen bed and stay there, which I can use to record electric even in an apartment. If it doesn't work out, no worries, the wood was about 20 bucks, and until I see that it functions, Im not investing any more money it.

My question:

I play through a Fender Blues DeVille 4x10" combo, the "head" of which puts out 60 watts into 8 ohms. Each of the 4 10" speakers is 8 ohm, 30 watts. If I were to use one of the cab speakers (or a separately purchased speaker of the exact same type), would I run the risk of harming the head? Since its the same ohm rating, I would imagine the only risk would be blowing out the single 30 watt speaker at too high a volume, but I don't intend to play with the head up very high anyway.

No prob; 8 ohms is 8 ohms from the amp's point of view.

That should work just fine, cusebassman. As long as the head is seeing an appropriate impedance there will be no harm to the head. Just watch that volume knob. ;)

No prob; 8 ohms is 8 ohms from the amp's point of view.

That should work just fine, cusebassman. As long as the head is seeing an appropriate impedance there will be no harm to the head. Just watch that volume knob. ;)

Thanks everybody :) That's what I figured... I also figure that head might blow out all 4 speakers if I ever cranked it full blast, but I don't think I've ever played it over 3/12 (yes, MY amp goes not only to 11, but to 12 :D)

Back