Trump was right

My plain and simple watered down version of the Prime Time rules is this...

Talk about whatever you want (within reason), and don't stir up shit.
Anything obviously racist, inappropriate, offensive etc is no good.

This is pretty sensible, although it's obviously a judgement call sometimes about what constitutes 'inappropriate' and 'stirring up shit'. My concern is that those decisions are sometimes arbitrary and turn on how a particular person is feeling on a particular day. It shouldn't be arbitrary, though, right? It should be standardized, commonly known, and subscribed to by both mods and the unwashed masses. So, you're okay as a mod with people talking about anything they want (within reason). But what about the other mods? Are they okay with me starting a thread about the upcoming Canadian election? The only way I can find out the answer to that question is to actually post a 'Why Stephen Harper sucks' thread and see how it goes down. See below for the knock-on effect that has on me and everyone else.

I was warned this week that some members are walking a tightrope, I can only imagine that he is one of them.

This is the knock-on effect of what I was saying above. It makes participation in this forum a bit of a cat-and-mouse game - 'Can you have a good time here and manage not to get banned?' You know, a couple weeks ago I posted a thread that moaned a bit about some of the modding here and Greg says 'careful you don't get yourself banned, dobro' and I'm like 'Really? For bitching about the modding?' And I'm sure you'll say something like 'reasonable complaints, especially in the Feedback Forum, are completely acceptable' but I have no idea about where the goal posts are really. I want to know that. I don't want it to be cat-and-mouse. Some people might enjoy that, but I think it's juvenile.

My concern is that those decisions are sometimes arbitrary and turn on how a particular person is feeling on a particular day.

Absolutely. Several times in recent weeks we've had knee-jerk thread scourings, knee-jerk bannings that have subsequently been reversed after moderators have cooled off, knee-jerk this, knee-jerk that.....

I thought moderators were supposed to be moderate in their actions?

This is pretty sensible, although it's obviously a judgement call sometimes about what constitutes 'inappropriate' and 'stirring up shit'. My concern is that those decisions are sometimes arbitrary and turn on how a particular person is feeling on a particular day. It shouldn't be arbitrary, though, right? It should be standardized, commonly known, and subscribed to by both mods and the unwashed masses. So, you're okay as a mod with people talking about anything they want (within reason). But what about the other mods? Are they okay with me starting a thread about the upcoming Canadian election? The only way I can find out the answer to that question is to actually post a 'Why Stephen Harper sucks' thread and see how it goes down. See below for the knock-on effect that has on me and everyone else.

This is the knock-on effect of what I was saying above. It makes participation in this forum a bit of a cat-and-mouse game - 'Can you have a good time here and manage not to get banned?' You know, a couple weeks ago I posted a thread that moaned a bit about some of the modding here and Greg says 'careful you don't get yourself banned, dobro' and I'm like 'Really? For bitching about the modding?' And I'm sure you'll say something like 'reasonable complaints, especially in the Feedback Forum, are completely acceptable' but I have no idea about where the goal posts are really. I want to know that. I don't want it to be cat-and-mouse. Some people might enjoy that, but I think it's juvenile.

Actually its me that's walking the tightrope, Jimi's fine and dandy like Amos and Andy.

You know, a couple weeks ago I posted a thread that moaned a bit about some of the modding here and Greg says 'careful you don't get yourself banned, dobro' and I'm like 'Really? For bitching about the modding?' And I'm sure you'll say something like 'reasonable complaints, especially in the Feedback Forum, are completely acceptable' but I have no idea about where the goal posts are really. I want to know that. I don't want it to be cat-and-mouse. Some people might enjoy that, but I think it's juvenile.

You didn't hear nary a word from a mod.

If you are doing something the mods are concerned about, you will hear from the mods and almost certainly have at least one opportunity to either correct your conduct or their misperception, except for the serious things that will always result in instaban and reporting to authorities etc.

When the pendulum swings too far - and it sometimes does - the mods have always been gracious about letting people back on the board. My guess is that those who never return either have no desire to return, or to be accountable for why they aren't here.

There is juvenile cat-and-mouse going on but it isn't by the mods, I am afraid.

I had a cat AND a mouse once. They got along great!
But then again, neither knew how to type.
:-)

I'm not going to speak for them, but as far as I know we're in agreement that a topic won't be deleted and the user banned purely because it has a religious or political theme.
We will respond if the thread takes a bad turn or someone weighs in trolling or whatever, or if the original post is clearly designed to ruffle feathers and invite trolling.

Even if there was some difference of opinion between mods and one made a solo action, you, other whoever posted, would be notified by PM and warned if necessary anyway.
You'd have plenty of opportunity to say you weren't sure or you feel the rules aren't clear or whatever.

I'm not in favour of extremely detailed rules because they're open to exploit.
It's so easy for someone to troll this place without breaking a rule and, really, that's the reason for my opinions on the matter.

If I'm going to warn or ban someone, it's usually because I've spent the time getting a pretty good idea of what they're about.

Quite honestly, I think anyone who has a problem understanding how to act on any forum is probably being disingenuous although, as demonstrated, I'll obviously hear them out.
It really is as simple as 'don't be a dick'. I know that's not a very professional way to word it, but It amazes me how many people don't get that.

If you want to talk about an election...go for it. Don't be a knob about it though. (not you personally - Anyone)

Actually its me that's walking the tightrope, Jimi's fine and dandy like Amos and Andy.

Why does everything revolve around me?

you post a political statement in a political thread and when I question It you say to quit talking politics ....this isn't the cave.....Jimi needs to be banned.
Anyone can read the thread and see it.
It's laughable.

Why does everything revolve around me?

you post a political statement in a political thread and when I question It you say to quit talking politics ....this isn't the cave.....Jimi needs to be banned.
Anyone can read the thread and see it.
It's laughable.

take it easy Jimi, it's the sabbath.

This is very disingenuous.

dis·in·gen·u·ous
ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/
adjective
adjective: disingenuous

not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
synonyms: insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious; hypocritical
"that innocent, teary-eyed look is just part of a disingenuous act"

Sorry, Bubba, if you think I am being dishonest.

I think I have been pretty transparent about my opinions relative to "speech codes" in PT after the Cave closed or the "speech codes in the Cave" as envisioned by the "out the bigot" crew.

I have always been really open about why I think closing the cave wasn't the best option, and that the problem with the cave was always a user problem and not a lack of rule specificity.

Some people were equally vocal advocates of closing the cave. They wanted to do this to curtail speech they found offensive, potentially offensive, or potentially offensive on others' behalf, and some of them were pretty strident about it. One might even consider some of the exchanges that went on downright hurtful. ;)

I lost and they won, and I can accept that. It's over.

What some of them didn't realize is that for reasonable people and respectful people, there never was a difference. Prime Time remains a place where a reasonable and respectful person can discuss off-topic subjects, including those that have personal, spiritual, or political significance. Unlike the Cave, Prime Time is not a place to argue about those things.

"Don't be a dick" is a perfectly workable solution. Closing the cave just made it a lot harder to be a dick.

jimistone isn't a dick. Do the math.

so, are you for open borders with no border patrol and no laws on who can and can't enter our country?

No. I never said that. I never even said anything close to that. I'll let you try to figure it out from what I actually typed out in plain black and white font on your computer screen. Go ahead and give it a try..

Neither would I. Honest. I'd miss the mp3 forum a bit, but if you're not going to post your stuff there anymore, then it's lost a lot of its appeal. :)

Neither would I. Honest. I'd miss the mp3 forum a bit, but if you're not going to post your stuff there anymore, then it's lost a lot of its appeal. :)

I can't argue with that.

Greg won't post in the MP3 clinic because he needs a challenge.

Greg, you have to mix with earbuds. Then every fuckin' dude who can play the first seven notes of Smoke on The Water can give you mix advice and you can just take their fuckin' word for it.

I am solution man.

Back