Tomorrow - a more mainstream me

joeym

Hey guys, just finished this one.
A couple of weeks ago I got a present from my dear neighbour: a new 12 string acoustic! She had it in her attic about 20 years and it's at least 30 old, she's hardly ever used it. She said if I had it at least it would get used and I was glad to oblige.....;) This baby sounds totally beautiful. My problem is that I don't have a good enough room to record acoustics in, so what you'll hear has been EQ'd to Hell and back. This is also the first time I've used my new Sansamp GT2 for the electrics, now that is really a magic box. Anyway, enough ranting....tell me what you think about this one, I'd appreciate your opinions.

http://www.box.net/shared/7khjyivhs8

UPDATED MIX 27th Sept.:http://www.box.net/shared/7khjyivhs8

Thanx!
Joey :)

Last edited:
Fantastic Joey,

Great song, performance, production, it has it all. Interesting vocal sound, kinda unique and works well in the song. Really enjoyed it.

Congrats on the new acoustic it sounds good. But the acoustic tracks seem to be a bit dominating when everything gets going. You could try matching the acoustic guitars to the level of the high hats. I think that would open your mix up nicely.

Right on, Joey. Acoustics definitely sound a bit processed and *in your face*, but given your circumstances, they sound alright.

I'd turn down the acoustics and turn up the electrics when things really get going. The electrics drive more, and I've found that when I add acoustics on top of a "full rock" sound, they just get in the way. They do provide a very cool texture, though when they're just behind the electrics.

Man... Turn your vocals up at the beginning. I know you really want to hear that guitar sound, but your vocals are the star of the show. They're way too far back in the beginning. Let em' shine.

Great song, man. Gonna be killer when tweaked.

Mainstream indeed!!! I like this song a lot. The lyrics are great too. It's a bit of country and a dash of Daughtry (However, your lyrics are NOT mindless prattle!) I damn near twisted off my volume knob trying keep my head from exploding :eek: - nice levels ;) I showed the wife (a trusted barometer of wow-factor) and she really liked it and was shocked that is was the same guy who did Castle Falls.
I found myself reaching for the acoustic gtr's fader in my head. It does sound pretty, but something was competing with your vox, and it might be the gtr. I think it's really hard to have a full acoustic gtr sound in a rock song with all the goodies. Did you just go with that DI or did you add a mic too?

Anyway, I'm on my 4th listen ...- I like it..... :D:D:D

Now get back to the METAL!!!!:spank::drunk::cool:

Wow. I really love the eq'ing on the acoustic! It seems just a TAD loud on my right speaker. Probably just me tho

Joey, for the best mix of 12 string & rock guitar try Buffalo Tom's Tail Lights Fade.
I like the level but it isn't balanced in the other channel with something in the same range, constancy & vol.
Nothing country about this, (though that does point to just how rock country has become), good vocals & I dig the harmonic bits at the end.
Good lyrics as usual.
I cheat with 12 string & use a toothed plectrum to get more jangle - but, as you know, I'm hooked on treble/jangle.
The bass seems a little more bottom end that usual - I mean it fills that space up well but is less toppy than usual - given the 12 string's role that probably deliberate.
Well done - I'm sure the neighbour will enjoy her copy.

Fantastic Joey,

Great song, performance, production, it has it all. Interesting vocal sound, kinda unique and works well in the song. Really enjoyed it.

Thanx PDP,
needs some more tweaking since it's a first mix, but I think it's getting there.:)

Congrats on the new acoustic it sounds good. But the acoustic tracks seem to be a bit dominating when everything gets going. You could try matching the acoustic guitars to the level of the high hats. I think that would open your mix up nicely.

Yeah I've got that impression too, somehow. I might just cut the acoustics out in the chorus or pull them way back. Good tip with matching them to the hihats, I'll try that out. Thanx for the comments, bud. :)

Right on, Joey. Acoustics definitely sound a bit processed and *in your face*, but given your circumstances, they sound alright.

I'd turn down the acoustics and turn up the electrics when things really get going. The electrics drive more, and I've found that when I add acoustics on top of a "full rock" sound, they just get in the way. They do provide a very cool texture, though when they're just behind the electrics.

Man... Turn your vocals up at the beginning. I know you really want to hear that guitar sound, but your vocals are the star of the show. They're way too far back in the beginning. Let em' shine.

Great song, man. Gonna be killer when tweaked.

Thanx Jason!
OK, gonna turn them them up.;)
Yeah it's funny isn't it, that acoustics can sound really dominant? I don't record enough of them so a lot of it is trial and error, I guess.

Mainstream indeed!!! I like this song a lot. The lyrics are great too. It's a bit of country and a dash of Daughtry (However, your lyrics are NOT mindless prattle!) I damn near twisted off my volume knob trying keep my head from exploding :eek: - nice levels ;) I showed the wife (a trusted barometer of wow-factor) and she really liked it and was shocked that is was the same guy who did Castle Falls.
I found myself reaching for the acoustic gtr's fader in my head. It does sound pretty, but something was competing with your vox, and it might be the gtr. I think it's really hard to have a full acoustic gtr sound in a rock song with all the goodies. Did you just go with that DI or did you add a mic too?

Anyway, I'm on my 4th listen ...- I like it..... :D:D:D

Now get back to the METAL!!!!:spank::drunk::cool:

Sorry for going soft, Brad....:o:D
I actually wrote this one with the 12-str. in mind, 'cos I needed something fast to try it out. The acoustics aren't DI'd, they're miced with my Neumann TLM102 on the soundhole and a SP B1 on the 12th fret, both about 2 feet away from the guitar. I really have to try out Whitestrat's system in the sticky though....even if my room's pretty dead.;)
I'll see if worth cutting the acoustics out completely in the choruses or just pull them way back. Thanx for the comments!

Wow. I really love the eq'ing on the acoustic! It seems just a TAD loud on my right speaker. Probably just me tho

Thanx man!
I've got the 12-str on the right side EQ'd a little sharper at the top than the 6-str. on the left side, 'cos I wanted some distinction. That's why it probably sounds louder.

Joey, for the best mix of 12 string & rock guitar try Buffalo Tom's Tail Lights Fade.
I like the level but it isn't balanced in the other channel with something in the same range, constancy & vol.
Nothing country about this, (though that does point to just how rock country has become), good vocals & I dig the harmonic bits at the end.
Good lyrics as usual.
I cheat with 12 string & use a toothed plectrum to get more jangle - but, as you know, I'm hooked on treble/jangle.
The bass seems a little more bottom end that usual - I mean it fills that space up well but is less toppy than usual - given the 12 string's role that probably deliberate.
Well done - I'm sure the neighbour will enjoy her copy.

Thanx Ray!
I guess the backing harmonies do give it a kind of country feel at times, but I don't mind that, ther are types of modern country that I like. I recorded the bass with less gain this time and gave the 12-str a good low-cut. I'll work on balancing everything a bit better in the next mix. ;)

nice one Joe...I agree with the lead vocals coming up at the beginning...they sound fine when you're in full swing but the effect makes them lose some volume/clarity at the beginning

the 12 string overpowers the 6 at the beginning...just such a full sound coming from one side..again blends in fine once everything's in full swing

thats the bad bits...the good bits

once everything's in full swing this sounds absolutely spot on, your backing almost sounds like a choir...thats some talent dude..very commercially viable, i forgot for a second what i was listening too

cool gift from the neighbour...funny enough my only musical treasure is an early 70s japanese 12 string...bugger to play but sounds lovely

nice one mate :)

nice one Joe...I agree with the lead vocals coming up at the beginning...they sound fine when you're in full swing but the effect makes them lose some volume/clarity at the beginning

the 12 string overpowers the 6 at the beginning...just such a full sound coming from one side..again blends in fine once everything's in full swing

thats the bad bits...the good bits

once everything's in full swing this sounds absolutely spot on, your backing almost sounds like a choir...thats some talent dude..very commercially viable, i forgot for a second what i was listening too

cool gift from the neighbour...funny enough my only musical treasure is an early 70s japanese 12 string...bugger to play but sounds lovely

nice one mate :)

I know what you mean about the 12 being louder than the 6, Keith, but actually its because the 6 is playing less than the 12 and it's also EQ'd differently. I should have a new mix by tomorrow with the 12 str pulled back a little bit and more balance overall.
The choir....tsk, tsk, it's hard keeping those 12 guys under control, they drive me crazy sometimes....:rolleyes::p:D
This 12er must be a German build, when I hold it in my hand and my Ibanez 12 in the other, the Ibanez feels like it's made of paper. And it shows in the sound too, the lows are round and beautiful. I had to cut a lot of those for the mix 'cos they were interfering with the bass.
Thanx for the comments, bro!:)

It sounds like the left speaker is weaker than the right. It gives it a funky uneven sound. I think it's because the acoustic is sparkly in the right, and not so sparkly in the left.

God, you give off such an Alice In Chains vibe, I LOVE IT! The vocals are great as always, I like the electric guitar tone. Clear mix. The drums can come up a tad.

The vocals are crazy good on this. I continue to be amazed by the vocal tracks you put together. Really top notch here as well. The BGVs are exceptional.

I like the use of the acoustics and this tune is perfect for them. Myself, I wonder if you carved too much of the lows out of the 12 string. I'd prefer a rounder sound with maybe slightly less shimmer, but that is just me. I'd also recommend pulling it back maybe in the chorus when the electrics really kick in.

Overall this is really very strong. Nice.

It sounds like the left speaker is weaker than the right. It gives it a funky uneven sound. I think it's because the acoustic is sparkly in the right, and not so sparkly in the left.

God, you give off such an Alice In Chains vibe, I LOVE IT! The vocals are great as always, I like the electric guitar tone. Clear mix. The drums can come up a tad.

Hey Squibble!
yes the 12str does sound too dominant on the right, but I'm tackling that in the new mix. I really dig the electric guitar tones you can get with the GT2. On this one I played heavy block chords on two tracks and open ones on another two and blended them together, to give it that grungy tone. The drums lost some volume when I put the limiter on the mix, so I'm tackling that too.

Thanx for the comments!

The vocals are crazy good on this. I continue to be amazed by the vocal tracks you put together. Really top notch here as well. The BGVs are exceptional.

I like the use of the acoustics and this tune is perfect for them. Myself, I wonder if you carved too much of the lows out of the 12 string. I'd prefer a rounder sound with maybe slightly less shimmer, but that is just me. I'd also recommend pulling it back maybe in the chorus when the electrics really kick in.

Overall this is really very strong. Nice.

You know, the most difficult parts to sing for me are always the oohs and aahs, it takes time to find the right feel for those. I'm fixing the acoustic levels in the mix. Thanx for listening, Pete! :)

Back