The Wayside - alternative pop rock - Mix feedback please!

because i squashed it to oblivion. i'll write it out, but watch someone comment "why did you have to compress it so much, fix that problem".

- EQ
- DE-ESS
- stock COMP 4:1, maybe 5db reduction
- stock COMP 6:1, 700hz-2khz only, maybe 6db reduction
- FEEDBACK COMP, 6:1 maybe 3db reduction
- Reverb, medium studio preset tweaked, 85ms pre-delay, about 15% wet and 0.4 mix
- Delay, very short 1/16 with 5% feedback
- (verse vocal only, alongside dry track) Stereo Chorus, "Fullness" preset, 100% width, 3ms delay, 75% depth
- (Chorus vocals only) stock COMP, 6.2:1

Sounds great as usual. Nice guitars and use of SD. I noticed the same thing as Nola on the bass but agree with you - it's a cool effect for this tune.

I am wondering if that 85ms of pre-delay is making the vocals sound more in the back of the mix than they ought to be. Vocals really need to be the star here. I also think since you have healthy amounts of reverb on everything else, the vocals sound dry by comparison. I am wondering if some more saturation would make them feel more in the blend.

Hope this helps!

Sounds great as usual. Nice guitars and use of SD. I noticed the same thing as Nola on the bass but agree with you - it's a cool effect for this tune.

I am wondering if that 85ms of pre-delay is making the vocals sound more in the back of the mix than they ought to be. Vocals really need to be the star here. I also think since you have healthy amounts of reverb on everything else, the vocals sound dry by comparison. I am wondering if some more saturation would make them feel more in the blend.

Hope this helps!

No that's great, thank you. I'll admit I default to 80-100ms pre delays on vocals...you think knocking it down a bit might help them sit better? That's a good idea. I have some saturation via compressor with a feedback-type gain. Like exaggerated gain...saturation sorta. And I kick out a few dbs of output gain with it on the vocals as well as another on the 2bus. I have a tape saturation plug...but if I use it, it's mostly on the 2 bus. I should try it on the vocals.

I'm still learning, of course, so I'm trying to stop using plugs by default, or at least their settings. Like the verb and pre delay. Good call there. Thanks man

Sounds pretty good all up. A few nits:

The louder vocals (as you're singing them) I think should come up a touch in a few spots, they seem to duck in a little from time to time and so you sort of lose the effect of the big voice - in particular the second lines of the chorus where the pitch is lower.
Bit lower on the bass perhaps? I think others have mentioned it - tend to agree - all comes together nicely in the choruses, but sounds a touch loud in the quieter bits.
I think the bass is leading the beat a touch in places, and sometimes the guitar lines do too (particular that solo line after the chorus) - sort of mucking a little with "the groove" in spots, mainly the verses.

Going to assume the swishy cymbals is the SoundCloud effect and that they're fine in real life. Drumming sounds real. Like the depth on the snare in particular. Singing is very good, obviously one of your strong points. Song would fit well on radio.

Good job. :thumbs up:

Sounds pretty good all up. A few nits:

The louder vocals (as you're singing them) I think should come up a touch in a few spots, they seem to duck in a little from time to time and so you sort of lose the effect of the big voice - in particular the second lines of the chorus where the pitch is lower.
Bit lower on the bass perhaps? I think others have mentioned it - tend to agree - all comes together nicely in the choruses, but sounds a touch loud in the quieter bits.
I think the bass is leading the beat a touch in places, and sometimes the guitar lines do too (particular that solo line after the chorus) - sort of mucking a little with "the groove" in spots, mainly the verses.

Going to assume the swishy cymbals is the SoundCloud effect and that they're fine in real life. Drumming sounds real. Like the depth on the snare in particular. Singing is very good, obviously one of your strong points. Song would fit well on radio.

Good job. :thumbs up:

Yeah the chorus vocals are compressed pretty hard, and funny you mention the lower pitched sections of the chorus... I had to meticulously raise their volume, manually. Sometimes even just one word of that section would be lower than others. I could have "perfected" one chorus and copied and pasted it on the others, but I did it the hard way (or authentic way, i guess).

I don't mind the bass being a bit louder. I'm comfortable with where it sits at the moment, and it hits pretty well with the kick. Sounds good in the car too, to me.

But you're definitely right about leading. I do that way too much. The main problem (and this is probably ridiculous) is that I haven't figured out to "punch in" a take. Meaning...if I don't get the ENTIRE take spot on (or close to it) I completely redo the take. Guitar and bass, anyway. Unless there is a long enough pause where I can hit record, pick up the pick, and get in place to play, I redo everything. So...after so many times of doing that, I get irritated and impatient! I also like the idea of doing it all in one take, but punching in is probably the norm...I just haven't figured it out yet in Studio One. lazy excuse, i know

thanks for the drums compliment, i spent considerable time on them. and if you would like to help me get this on radio, i would appreciate it :listeningmusic: (semi-joking).

thanks man

Back