The Wayside - alternative pop rock - Mix feedback please!

andrushkiwt

Hey yo,

I took a little more care with capturing good, in-time takes and really trying to tighten everything up. I also moved the first hits of the kick drum, not on every bar, very slightly forward since this tune is a little slower, otherwise. I think moving them ahead a nudge gives it a faster feel for its tempo.

This is the first track with the new AT4040, so let me know how that sounds? I understand that the verse has the stereo chorus spread and that's something I liked and wanted. Almost a phaser-like sound. The chorus is double tracked with double tracked harmonies panned out, as well.

It's also the first time I've used a different EQ from the stock Studio One 2 stuff. I really liked it and found it easy to use and beneficial...it was a dynamic EQ, and i used it on the master channel for a touch of compression and added top end. I think it gave a good air feeling without being overwhelming, hissy, or fatiguing. I found a decent synth (free) called Dexed. The distorted string sound is one of their presets, but tweaked for more feedback.

Let me know how it came out? thanks!

I've never slept so well,
your eyes are cynical.
I only drag you down.
So far from heaven now.

I'll turn this heart to stone,
we'll make this prison home.
They only drag you down,
so much for heaven now.

I've just been sitting here,
waiting for the sunshine in this home that we've made,
watching from the wayside.

I feel their eyes on me,
cynical as they seem.
You only drag me down,
so much for heaven now...

I save it all, and I drift far and fall.
You only said you were.

I like the recording. Are those real drums? If not, they're pretty convincing. How many tracks did you have altogether on this song?

I like the recording. Are those real drums? If not, they're pretty convincing. How many tracks did you have altogether on this song?

thanks! well, technically, yes. They are "real" ;)

It's Superior Drummer 2, though. I got some help from guys here on mixing drums, particularly for programs like this. Glad to hear it's paying off. I spent considerable time on them.

Well, there's 6 guitar tracks (left and right "big", l and r "rhythm 1", and l and r "rhythm 2"), Bass, 2 verse tracks with one being the stereo spread, 2 for the chorus for a double track, 2 harmony double track, the synth heard most prominently in the beginning, 3 kicks, 3 snares, 5 toms, 1 stereo overhead, hat, and then 4 extra tracks for the effects going into the last chorus. So, less than 40, but more than 30...i'm guessing i missed some in that list.

The mix sounds great, Andru. A couple issues I hear: the vocal track sounds "phasey" even during the verses on my headphones. Did you mic them in a new position? The bass sounds a bit underwater like too much midrange was removed. How did you EQ it? What type of headphone or speaker do you mix on? On my Sony headphones it sounds different than my go-to ones (which are usually more accurate and what I based my comments on).

The mix sounds great, Andru. A couple issues I hear: the vocal track sounds "phasey" even during the verses on my headphones. Did you mic them in a new position? The bass sounds a bit underwater like too much midrange was removed. How did you EQ it? What type of headphone or speaker do you mix on? On my Sony headphones it sounds different than my go-to ones (which are usually more accurate and what I based my comments on).

The phaser was an insert on the vocal track. In fact, I searched presets for awhile until I found the kind I wanted. Its about perfect, to my taste. Just what I was looking for.

There's quite a bit of mids taken out of the bass, yes. I thought it sounded great, but I'll give it another listen and check out for that. Not a lot of good stuff in the mids on it to begin with, and it makes room for the guitars and vocal. Maybe I took it a few dbs too far. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll double check that.

In the verses, I thought the bass was too loud and the other pad instruments were a bit too soft. During the chorus, I thought the levels were good.

Tone on things sounded good to my ear.

I didn't really notice the phase stuff on the vocal until I read through the comments. So to me, I think that's OK. To me the only real issue I have with the vocal is the constant level. The verses are kind of quiet and the chrous really kicks in. But the vocal level is the same through everything. I'd like that vocal in the chorus to really be belted out. Minor thing - modern mixes all seem to do that.

There is a little bit of SOundcloud mangling the cymbals. But not real bad.

Back home a couple of days early, catching up on the new songs.

I like the direction you've been heading lately. Good space and openness in the middle, clear vocals, guitars are sitting at a good level. Even during the heavier chorus, the vocal stays clear, intelligible, and out front. The bass sounds terrific. If I were to quibble I might say the kick is overpowering the bass a little bit, especially in the chorus. Matter of taste. Great vocal performance as usual. Catchy hook in the chorus.

I like this one a lot.

Definitely sounds like a renewed sound, interested to see where it goes from here. The vocal seems a little less present but more natural. I might bring down the bass a bit so you can hear the guitars better. They're a little less pronounced in this one.

I like the tune, stuff sounds pretty good.

What I'm missing on this tune is your guitars. Too low for my tastes.The bass, while sounding good, dominates the mix.

This is not my prefered genre of music, but I'm familiar with it, and you certainly have a knack for writing, producing and recording these types of tunes. :D

Back home a couple of days early, catching up on the new songs.

I like the direction you've been heading lately. Good space and openness in the middle, clear vocals, guitars are sitting at a good level. Even during the heavier chorus, the vocal stays clear, intelligible, and out front. The bass sounds terrific. If I were to quibble I might say the kick is overpowering the bass a little bit, especially in the chorus. Matter of taste. Great vocal performance as usual. Catchy hook in the chorus.

I like this one a lot.

cool, thanks. i think the bass/kick are a touch too high maybe. glad the bass is sounding good.

I didn't really notice the phase stuff on the vocal until I read through the comments. So to me, I think that's OK. To me the only real issue I have with the vocal is the constant level. The verses are kind of quiet and the chrous really kicks in. But the vocal level is the same through everything. I'd like that vocal in the chorus to really be belted out. Minor thing - modern mixes all seem to do that.

There is a little bit of SOundcloud mangling the cymbals. But not real bad.

Well, the vocals are compressed to sh!@. I had terrible volume control while tracking them and those were the best out of 8 or 9 takes (there's 2 in the chorus, for a double track). I don't even want to say how many compressors are working there, someone is going to yell at me :wtf: or, at least, wag their finger :cursing: so, yeah i agree with you there. good ears

what's up with soundcloud and cymbals? i don't listen to my own tracks through SC, so i don't pick it up. i'll listen on my lunch today. are they harsh/phasey sounding or something? I'll check to make sure i'm bouncing everything out and the highest quality settings. thnx

Definitely sounds like a renewed sound, interested to see where it goes from here. The vocal seems a little less present but more natural. I might bring down the bass a bit so you can hear the guitars better. They're a little less pronounced in this one.

yeah, the new at4040 is def more full sounding than my last mic. I don't have to battle high freq's anymore, and it makes lifting the top end of the master EQ easier. Yup, guitars went down a touch on this one, i agree it might benefit to have them up less than a db though.

Well, the vocals are compressed to sh!@. I had terrible volume control while tracking them and those were the best out of 8 or 9 takes (there's 2 in the chorus, for a double track). I don't even want to say how many compressors are working there, someone is going to yell at me :wtf: or, at least, wag their finger :cursing:

Why? If it works, it works. I'd be curious to know what is in your vocal chain.

Why? If it works, it works. I'd be curious to know what is in your vocal chain.

because i squashed it to oblivion. i'll write it out, but watch someone comment "why did you have to compress it so much, fix that problem".

- EQ
- DE-ESS
- stock COMP 4:1, maybe 5db reduction
- stock COMP 6:1, 700hz-2khz only, maybe 6db reduction
- FEEDBACK COMP, 6:1 maybe 3db reduction
- Reverb, medium studio preset tweaked, 85ms pre-delay, about 15% wet and 0.4 mix
- Delay, very short 1/16 with 5% feedback
- (verse vocal only, alongside dry track) Stereo Chorus, "Fullness" preset, 100% width, 3ms delay, 75% depth
- (Chorus vocals only) stock COMP, 6.2:1

I think it's good you think outside the box and use whatever and follow your instincts. Some of my favorite recordings sound the way they do because of that mindset.

I think it's good you think outside the box and use whatever and follow your instincts. Some of my favorite recordings sound the way they do because of that mindset.

yeah, i'd rather not compress them that much though. I think TripeM was right that they are at too constant of a level. I need to record better takes

Fantastic! You obviously are getting better and better at mixing. Your songwriting and ability to write a hook is still the favorite aspect of what you do. Without a hook, why would someone want to listen more than once? You are quickly becoming a force on this website. I'm going to listen on headphones and over a couple of different speakers to see if I can hear anything that doesn't sound correct, but upon the first two times I listened, it sounds great. Keep up the good work.

Fantastic! You obviously are getting better and better at mixing. Your songwriting and ability to write a hook is still the favorite aspect of what you do. Without a hook, why would someone want to listen more than once? You are quickly becoming a force on this website. I'm going to listen on headphones and over a couple of different speakers to see if I can hear anything that doesn't sound correct, but upon the first two times I listened, it sounds great. Keep up the good work.

Hey thanks Firefly. That means a lot, I appreciate it. Hooks are the priority for me, so good to know things like that. Let me know if something doesn't sound right on another system.

Back