The Siefer Vs. Cloneboy Mix

The Siefer has attempted to throw down a challenge.

He's recording a band next week. I'm recording three. The challenge is who can have the better mix of a single song.

Just to be fair, since he's merely a part-time recording person, I will pre-pick the band I'm submitting: Ioni Sky, an alternative rock/emo band from Toledo, Ohio. I don't want him crying that it's unfair that I could pick the better of three bands to pick a song from... even if I am going to be spread thin.

Winner will be decided by one week's worth of member votes for best mix (not song content/songwriting etc).

That is, if Siefer thinks he can handle the challenge?

Just confirm when we have to have the songs posted. I can have mine up by next Monday, because the mastering session is booked for late next Sunday.

Each can feature only a single song by an artist other than ourselves. Songs must be tracked, mixed and mastered by Seifer and myself only, cannot feature our own music or any audio played by ourselves personally, must feature primarily mic'd instruments (although minimal keyboard or triggers/samples *along with* real acoustic drums are permissable), must have vocals, be at least 3:00 minutes long and encoded to 192kb/sec 44.1khz MP3's.

Each song should contain text explaining what hardware/software was used to in the production.

What'dya say, Siefy? :)

Last edited:
I can't wait for this.... I like a challenge, even if I am not involved. Plus I get to see different techiniques...

sounds interesting... but if you are going do this you need to mix the same track... then we'd really be able to see who's the best...

my money's on the Seifer!

results might be a bit skewed due to people voting who are a bit inexperienced(especially if the quality is very close, which I assume it will be)

yeah it's dumb to do two different songs.

another thing i would say is to make you guys have to write your own songs. cloneboy obviously doesn't want it to be about songwriting and creativity because he's a dink when it comes to that.

and the song should have to be about some particular topic, to prove that neither of you guys pussed out at the last second and submitted the one decent sounding song you've made in your lives

so i think you should either write your own songs and be judged OVERALL.... or mix the same song by somebody else. otherwise there would be too many internal conflicts to deal with

no - they're two different abilities - judging both songwriting and mixing at the same time will get messy and defeat the purpose of the challenge.
Siefer's deliberately insulted Cloneboy's mixing and so should focus on that(although Siefer does like to stir anything up so I don't know why Cloneboy's taking this one seriously).

cat-eggs said:
another thing i would say is to make you guys have to write your own songs. cloneboy obviously doesn't want it to be about songwriting and creativity because he's a dink when it comes to that.

I think it is more of a challenge to do someone else's music rather than your own.

It also wouldn't be fair because I happen to know about a dozen part-time, but amazing, session musicians that I would use to play on the tracks. Plus if it were my own work 80% of it would be synthesizer, which is simple to record and I own or have access to top flight analogs, samplers, romplers, etc...

If he wants we can do the mix song 8. I was expecting him to try and find something online that is obscure and try to pass it off as his own work anyways.

Cloneboy Studio said:
I was expecting him to try and find something online that is obscure and try to pass it off as his own work anyways.
That wouldn't surprise me at all.......!

Anyone who argues with their own multiple aliases (cat-eggs, Siefer, etc...) on a web forum is, in all probability, a psycho......

The guy's a loon........ :rolleyes:

i'm not siefer and i don't know how i can prove that to you. but i think bruce is assuming that on account of my signature and becase i don't like you guys and because he can't picture a world where more than one person dislikes him

for the record, you've never said or done anything to me personally. i just think you both lack computer-communication tact and you're really full of yourselves. cloneboy seems kind of upright and educated. but bruce seems like...... just a really dumb guy who, albeit, knows a lot about recording according to consensus

in conclusion, i promise i'm not siefer. but i still don't like you guys

Blue Bear Sound said:
Bwa-ha-ha! Too funny........... :D

it's my gut feeling that the clone boy will freeze cos theres no money in this one... it seems to me to only be about the money for him... and that's all he'll be able to think about when he trys to mix it... whatever track he ends up doing, it'll sound like theres something missing to the poor lad without the subtle buzzing ch.. ching sound of a cash register that colours everything he listens to.. cos have you heard that he gets paid? is that right Clone Boy? I think it's been mentioned a few times... but I'm sure he's not embarassed by it!

cat-eggs said:
i'm not siefer and i don't know how i can prove that to you
You can't, because your logged IP info tells a different story....... you think you're anonymous here? :rolleyes:

cat-eggs said:
......but i think bruce is assuming that on account of my signature and becase i don't like you guys and because he can't picture a world where more than one person dislikes him

for the record, you've never said or done anything to me personally. i just think you both lack computer-communication tact and you're really full of yourselves. cloneboy seems kind of upright and educated. but bruce seems like...... just a really dumb guy
*yawn* :rolleyes:

cat-eggs said:
i'm not siefer and ...blah blah blah.....
in conclusion, i promise i'm not siefer. but i still don't like you guys
hrmph-um-bu-llsh-it-hrmmrph........

Last edited:
lets not do public mix no.8 cos the song is crap... lets make this contest the main event, a good old fashioned duel... is there a respected neutral in here who could provide a well recorded, half decent song that would challange these guys?... something in a style that should test for core mixing skills...

and another thing... if we're going to do this right... voters need to be blind to who's mixing skills they're listening to...

tracks should be posted as track A vs track B...

lets not make this a popularity contest.

Back