The RODE NT-1A

Dude, I did a search too and didn't find an exact answer cause everyone uses this for so many things...

I just picked one up. I do Voice overs myself (male) and used an AT3035, it was good. I just sold the AT cause my girl sounded too bright and bought her an SM7b, perfect for her. When I went to G.C. the guy let me try the mic and I asked him to let me try the Rode NT1a, I liked it alot. In fact I went the next day (today) and picked up the Rode. I have not set it up in my studio yet (My girl bought a car on the way home). I will post back the results.

FYI my girl does sing and sounded good on the AT, but when we were testing the Rode she sounded warmer, but I'll post back better later!

Hope this helps some!

I think it's the most awesome mic every made. It's phenomenal! Especially because if I don't tell you it's phenomal my rep points will go down. Get an audio buddy to go with it, they are amazing!

Reactions: ahj
sweetnubs said:
I think it's the most awesome mic every made. It's phenomenal! Especially because if I don't tell you it's phenomal my rep points will go down. Get an audio buddy to go with it, they are amazing!
So why are you even posting fake crap? for your rep points? so do you mean it or just for your rep points, and there's no way im going to get an audio buddy, but thanks for the advice....

I have an NT-1a and it is a good mic -- the only thing I guess for me is I need to do a few more a/b comparisons with other mics such as the c414... i also need a better pre cos right now I suspect the mic is better than the pre i have (focusrite trakmaster).
But to get back to the point - for the money i think it is excellent. I mainly use it for acoustic guitar (a cheap fender) where it is great and rarely for vocals where it is good - but not great IMO.

What pre will you be using it with if i may ask?

Eastale said:
a M-Audio DMP3

That shouldn't be too bad from all reports - i'd love to try a bunch of pre's out but the cost is just too high at the moment and very few of the shops stock many pre's around here.

I got also got a DMP3.

As for the Rode Nt 1A, I never used it but I was considering buying one to replace my old MXl 1006. Instead I got an AT4040 due to the popular advice on this forum for the type of music I do.

I would reccomend checking zzSounds.com and reading some of the reviews about that mic. Its sounds like a great bang for buck deal.

Here goes... I just got home and set it up on my dbx286a. AWESOME!!! This mic is not better then the AT3035... it beats the crap out of it like all 100 rocky flicks. To start off its a very quiet mic, which is what drew me to this mic. The problem I was having is the AT had some noise plus it was so bright it and it wasn't warm enough. The NT1 is bright but it also has a warm and in your face sound that I love. I had my girl sing several songs with range. Her voice-over sounded great, yet it picked up the inperfections in the room. (thats why I got the sm7b, more forgivable on the room). Since my voice is not as high as hers, there is no echo in the room for me, it sounds great. (the room is better treated on the lower freq.) I haven't heard all the mics in this price range, but I would say this has to be one of the best for $200. The guy at G.C. was telling me they had the GT55 on sale for $200 and everyone in there was trying to talk me into buying that one instead, but I was hooked on the NT1a, my sales rep agreed saying he didn't care what others say the Rode has a kick ass sound hard to beat at that price.

FYI I have not heard the V67i, nor any Studio Projects mics...

I bought an NT1-A yesterday too... still testing it out and getting to know it which is difficult for me because although I've been recording for quite a few years this is the first time I've ever used a proper condenser mic (in fact I very rarely use mics at all cos I'm mainly a hardware synth person).

But so far Iv'e been impressed with the quality compared with what I've been used to.

i also need a better pre cos right now I suspect the mic is better than the pre i have

This may be my problem too. I'm using the pre's within my mixer (DDX3216) and there's noticable hiss. I've got to run some more tests because some of the noise may well be my PC fan for starters. But I am wondering about the pre's on the DDX3216.

I also own a Fostex VF08 so I should also test the mic out on that too, to see if the pre's on that are any quieter.

Regardless... it's a step in the right direction for me... and I can't really afford to go highend mic's and pre's just yet. So this may just be a stop gap while gain more experience in this area.

regards

andy

pmdiaz23 said:
Dude, I did a search too and didn't find an exact answer cause everyone uses this for so many things...

I just picked one up. I do Voice overs myself (male) and used an AT3035, it was good. I just sold the AT cause my girl sounded too bright and bought her an SM7b, perfect for her. When I went to G.C. the guy let me try the mic and I asked him to let me try the Rode NT1a, I liked it alot. In fact I went the next day (today) and picked up the Rode. I have not set it up in my studio yet (My girl bought a car on the way home). I will post back the results.

FYI my girl does sing and sounded good on the AT, but when we were testing the Rode she sounded warmer, but I'll post back better later!

Hope this helps some!

Well buddy that's total bullshit about not finding any info on the nt1a and vocals. I just did a search and brought up 96 threads containing that subject matter. You know this isn't like home where you can lie to your mommy and tell her you brushed your teeth when you didn't. That Rode is probably more talked about than most mic's on this and other forums and to say you couldn't find info on it just makes you look like a dumbass. Have a Happy Easter!!!

jonnyc said:
Well buddy that's total bullshit about not finding any info on the nt1a and vocals. I just did a search and brought up 96 threads containing that subject matter. You know this isn't like home where you can lie to your mommy and tell her you brushed your teeth when you didn't. That Rode is probably more talked about than most mic's on this and other forums and to say you couldn't find info on it just makes you look like a dumbass. Have a Happy Easter!!!

Hey stupid, whos the dumbass? I never said anything about not finding any info. I guess YOU CAN'T READ!!! I said that I didn't find an exact answer cause everyone uses this for so many things...
People use this for so many different apps that sometimes you can't find an exact answer...
You're nothing but a punk who needs a forum to put people down instead of helping. Im sure if you were standing in front of me you would stick your little comments up your a__!

Loser!

Now, now, children, let's not piss in each other's lemonade.

It's true that many people don't se the search function enough, but at the same time, if the search function returns too many results, it's not very usable.

Let me suggest an alternative search method. go to google and put in:

site:www.homerecording.com [whatever words/phrases you want].

Now, instead of calling people liars, let's give them useful advice, and instead of asking who the dumbass is and flinging accusations of illiteracy, learn to deal with it. Understand that your question has been asked many times before, and repetitive re-asking gets annoying. That's the way it is. It's the responsibility of the newbs to tkae a little ribbing and minor abuse--like the new guy at work. At the same time, it's up to the others to not be assholes. If you didn't want to answer his question, don't read the thread on the Rode NT-1A.

But seriously, try googling the site. It may return more relevant results.

Kore said:
Now, now, children, let's not piss in each other's lemonade.

It's true that many people don't se the search function enough, but at the same time, if the search function returns too many results, it's not very usable.

Let me suggest an alternative search method. go to google and put in:

site:www.homerecording.com [whatever words/phrases you want].

Now, instead of calling people liars, let's give them useful advice, and instead of asking who the dumbass is and flinging accusations of illiteracy, learn to deal with it. Understand that your question has been asked many times before, and repetitive re-asking gets annoying. That's the way it is. It's the responsibility of the newbs to tkae a little ribbing and minor abuse--like the new guy at work. At the same time, it's up to the others to not be assholes. If you didn't want to answer his question, don't read the thread on the Rode NT-1A.

But seriously, try googling the site. It may return more relevant results.

To let everyone know, I did search the site and looked at plenty of things about the NT-1A but i was looking to get new opinions...So thanks to the pople who didnt complain about it and actually answered to the thread. If you dont like it dont read the thread and post!

I've don't have but have heard a few vocal recordings on it. Sound good to me except it was a little siblant. Didn's seem very harsh either. I've heard pretty good reviews on it and the NT1000. I'd like to know how they compare to each other on vocals. What other mics do you own?

Synkrotron said:
I also own a Fostex VF08 so I should also test the mic out on that too, to see if the pre's on that are any quieter.
I am interested in hearing how you went with the fostex if you get time to give it a go...

Eastale said:
The RODE NT-1A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what do you guys like about this mic, dislike? (for vocals)?

To let everyone know, I did search the site and looked at plenty of things about the NT-1A but i was looking to get new opinions...So thanks to the pople who didnt complain about it and actually answered to the thread. If you dont like it dont read the thread and post!

I have the NT1a along with a Shure SM57 and SM58.

Things I like:

1 So detailed it's amazing

2 Vocal seems to stand out better in rough mixes. I haven't really had too much time to play with EQ, compression, etc.

Things I don't like:

1 So quiet it picks up every noise the dogs make on the other side of the house, the neighbors, UPS Delivery Trucks...... time for some isolation soundproofing

2 Detailed, but not as warm as the Shure SM5X mics. I guess I really like the proximity effect on my voice, which is kind of thin. The SM57 is the warmest, but big time problem with plosives, the windscreen cuts out all the highs, haven't tried a pop filter. The SM58 was ok, not as warm as the SM57. I also rented an SM7b and other than no problem with plosives, for my voice, I really liked the sound of the 57 better than the 7; that's just me.

3 I don't like the way the NT1a works on acoustic guitar at all, even though a lot of folks say it sounds good, not on my Martin Shenandoah. Way too dark. A friend's MXL603S sounds really good on my acoustic, A rented Shure KSM 109 was good, but a little jangly compared to the MXL603S and a borrowed SM81 was awesome. I will be saving up for one of those.

Overall, I am happy that I bought the NT1a and I think I will hold on to it, even if I end up getting a better mic eventually. It's detail shows me that I need to concentrate on taming the room and getting some sort of isolation in place for recording vocals.

Happy Easter all; He is risen indeed!
bilco

Back