The Official BOSS BR-800 Thread

Hi all,
Mostly happy BR-800 owner here. Pretty cool little tool that I enjoy playing around on. I've noticed an issue though where if I hold down the rewind button it rewinds for a few seconds and then just stops. If I continue to hold my finger on the button or take it off, the rhythm effects switch on and just keeps playing the song in forward along with the drums. It completely locks me out from doing anything for at least 10 seconds or more. I just have to let it have its freak out and then I can continue doing what I was doing. It's not a major issue as I can use the wheel to rewind normally (depending on whether I'm in a menu screen or not), but it does kinda suck. Anyone else ever encountered this issue??

Hi there

Can someone please give me some advise? how do you put your reverbnation site on here so people can hear and give feedback on your recordings?

Regards Rob

Hi there

Can someone please give me some advise? how do you put your reverbnation site on here so people can hear and give feedback on your recordings?

Regards Rob

First: learn how to post in the correct section of the forum. tagging your question onto a thread for people using a Boss BR800 recorder is not a good way!
Second: once you have established yoruself as a regular forum member (I'm not sure how many posts that takes) you can creat e a'signature' in your profile linking to your RN site.
Third: if you want people to listen to and comment/suggest on mixes, use the MP3 Clinic section of the forum, and upload your files as MP3s or use a direct Soundcloud link - not many people iwll bother to follow a link to a site elsewhere to listen to your tunes. In hte LCinic, you also need to participate and listen and ocmment on others' mixes for best responses.

Thank you so much for your kind advice Mike! It is most helpful and I will persevere! I look forward to participating in the mp3 clinic sounds great!!
I`m in the process of buying a boss br800 so will be on here again.
Regards
Rob

Hi
Just after some advice regarding insert effects on the BR-800.
1. If I set the insert effect connection location to Normal does the effect get recorded with the audio? This is what I'm assuming and hoping happens. I don't always want to have to add effects at mix down.
2. I'm wanting to use the harmoniser on my vocals but only on the chorus. I figure the best way is to record the vocals for the verses including the appropriate insert effect then use punch in / punch out for the choruses at which time I will add the same insert effect as for the verses but add the harmoniser effect as well.
Am I on the right track (pun) or is there a better way.
Thanks
Michael

Hey everyone, was looking around the web for an answer to a question regarding the BR-800 and google sent me here :)

I've been using the BR-800 for a while now and have recorded a lot with it and I'm generally very pleased with the sound quality and ease of use (when you get used to it's quirks here and there).

The problem I have with it is when I am recording drums, I can't seem to disable the output of the recording to the headphones I am using, which makes the master clip and get distorted most of the time due to drums being loud and it gets messed up when I have bass ++ playing as well.
It's also hard on the ears as the drum set's sound gets amplified to the headphones and my ears cringe after a short time even though I have ear protectors their purpose kind of gets defeated because I can almost only hear the drums....

Do anyone know how to mute the output of the current recording to the headphones output?

I'm not near my machine at the moment, but there is an option to set headphone volume. I suspect that isn't what you want. :D
Incidentally, the headphone volume of the BR-800 is pathetic! Are you saying that hurts your ears? Or that the drums drown out the sound of other tracks?

The drums get too loud compared to the rest of the music when I'm using the headphones, what I am looking for is a way to turn down the recording volume so I don't get the Boss BR-800 to output the drums I'm playing to me ( I hear it more than well enough with headphones on :D)

I have tried working with altering the headphones volume but that doesn't help much at all, if I turn down the volume I have trouble hearing the bass and the guitar as the drums are still being routed to the headphones.

The drums get too loud compared to the rest of the music when I'm using the headphones, what I am looking for is a way to turn down the recording volume so I don't get the Boss BR-800 to output the drums I'm playing to me ( I hear it more than well enough with headphones on :D)

I have tried working with altering the headphones volume but that doesn't help much at all, if I turn down the volume I have trouble hearing the bass and the guitar as the drums are still being routed to the headphones.

From the BR-800 Manual:

If you want to lower the monitoring volume of the input
source during recording, use the [MASTER] fader to lower
the volume. If you want to adjust the volume of the
performances that are playing back, use the track faders of
each track.

In other words - :RTFM: :laughings:

But doing that lowers the volume of the rest of the tracks as well, I want the bass/guitar to remain unchanged.

There is a separate volume slider marked "rhythm" next to the master slider, this will adjust the volume of the built in drum machine without affecting anything else.

Hi

New to the BR-800. I have successfully recorded 4 tracks on my BR. When I try to transfer the master of the 4 tracks to my iMac the Scratch folder remains empty. The icon on the BR indicates that data is being exchanged and then it goes into 'idling'. When I try and upload using the supplied wave editor it says 'the SD card is not formatted for BR-800'. I would have thought that being able to record would indicate that the card is formatted.

Any help much appreciated.

Michael

With the BR600, you had to wait for the 'idling' message, then you 'dragged and dropped' the file to the computer.

Hey everyone! New user here. I have a question, and this might be the best place to answer this.

I'll put the question in the form of a list.

* I recently purchased a Boss BR-1200CD. (I love this thing, BTW)
* I recorded an entire song without effects
* During mixing, I wanted to add effects to some of the tracks
* When I add effects to tracks 1/2,it sounds great!
* Then, when I add effects to backup guitars on tracks 3/4, it removes effects from tracks 1/2.

My question is:
How can I add individual effects to different tracks after recording them?

It's not a huge deal. I can easily re-record the tracks with added effects. I was just wondering if it was possible to add effects to individual tracks after recording.

Not sure about the 1200, but with the 600, on the post-recording FX, you could only select certain ones to be used on all tracks (or selected ones) - for example you couldn't add doubling on one and delay on another, they were 'either/or'.

I acquired a BR-800 in November and I haven't gotten very far with it yet! It's my first digital recording device. I've managed to find a few decent effects for my semi-acoustic guitar but I'm having trouble with the condenser mic in that the effects are not being applied and it sounds the same regardless of changing them (which also applies to VO+AC algorythm combos). I guess I must be doing something wrong. I've definitely turned the condenser option on and the mic is working and audible. Anyone know what I should do? I'm getting quite frustrated. Thanks.

No, they're not. Have you tried recording, then listening back to see if the effects you select are being recorded. SOme FX are 'insert' effects - recorded onto the HD when you record the track. Others are 'plug-in' style, meaning they are applied to the already-recorded track, but are not recorded themselves unless you bounce/render the track down to a master track.

Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum. I was looking for a Boss BR-1200 forum and this is all I found. I started with a Boss BR-8 and learned a lot and recorded some cool stuff with that little demon. So I upgraded to the 1200. Wow. 12 tracks vs 8. Many virtual tracks. A lot more effects.

It came with a written manual and a DVD. The DVD however is for the 1600 model but they are all pretty much the same.

I have never tried recording drum tracks with this machine or the BR-8 and I need to accomplish this. I watch the DVD and am reading the manual. Seems pretty complicated.

If anyone here is experienced with this, can I ask a few simply questions to maybe get me on my way.

Thank you,
David

After recording about 6 songs on my BR800, I've decided to start Mastering. After mixing one of my songs, (which was relativity easy) I want to dowload to my computer to the WAV CONVERTER, After downloading the software the BR-800 is suppose to appear as an external drive on my computer or as an external drive. Problem is it doesn't. When I open up the BRWC software it asks for which drive. Ive tried all on the drop down and each time it says" not BR series memory card". Im stuck, any one have a suggestion???

Back