The New Tone Thread

Not too bad. I'd like to hear that lower gain tube with your usual humbucker guitars. The gain sounds much more in control.

Something sounds swirly to me about this clip though. Do you have a chorus on one of the guitars? Maybe the left one?

Not too bad. I'd like to hear that lower gain tube with your usual humbucker guitars. The gain sounds much more in control.

Something sounds swirly to me about this clip though. Do you have a chorus on one of the guitars? Maybe the left one?

Thanks man, I had the gain on both channels at 7, even on the high gain red channel, it's pretty clean using the 12AU7 compared to stock...Seems like it makes the sweep of the gain knob way more usable...

The right side guitar has a univibe on it, & I pushed the amp's high end up a little because I was using the neck p'up...

For a $75 strat copy, I think it's pretty decent myself I'm gonna roll some more tubes (GE, RCA, etc) I bought for the DSL-1, you never know, one of 'em might work better for this...

I'll throw some humbucker clips up tomorrow...

Here's a clip of the watered down EVH amp, with a low gain 12AU7 in V1...I used my cheap strat copy for this clip, the strat clips you guys have posted got me thinking about it, so here goes....

Left guitar signal chain & amp settings:
Strat > EVH LBX > EVH Greenback > i5

switches between 2nd & 1st p'up position
15w mode
switches between channels
Resonance:...............2
Gain:.......................7
Bass:......................6
Middle:...................4
Treble:...................8
Volume:.................5
Presence:...............2

Right side guitar signal chain & amp settings:

neck p'up
4w mode
blue channel
Bass:.......................6
Middle:....................4
Treble:....................8
Volume:..................3
Presence:................5

Not sure why, but dropbox is acting weird, I uploaded the mp3 like always, but it won't let me copy the link, so I had to upload it to the forum...I'd rather just click on a link, & have it pop up in another window rather than downloading, but this is the only wayI can get it to work right now....
if you don't upload it to the site then it disappears when you clear it out of dropbox.

I like the tunage .... a nice mellow rock ballad sorta sound .... maybe a little Creedence sounding. .... nice

Here's a clip of the watered down EVH amp, with a low gain 12AU7 in V1...I used my cheap strat copy for this clip, the strat clips you guys have posted got me thinking about it, so here goes....

Left guitar signal chain & amp settings:

switches between 2nd & 1st p'up position
15w mode
switches between channels
Bass:......................6
Middle:...................4
Treble:...................8
Volume:.................5
Presence:...............2

Right side guitar signal chain & amp settings:

neck p'up
4w mode
blue channel
Bass:.......................6
Middle:....................4
Treble:....................8
Volume:..................3
Presence:................5

Not sure why, but dropbox is acting weird, I uploaded the mp3 like always, but it won't let me copy the link, so I had to upload it to the forum...I'd rather just click on a link, & have it pop up in another window rather than downloading, but this is the only wayI can get it to work right now....

Miner, aside from the weird phaser thing I like this tone a lot. Sounds like one of them tones that you can just jam on for ages. In fact, if you stuck that track on a loop and started noodling over it you'd probably go on for ages without noticing!

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/ka08eDbTE5lwXjjMXfFwLQ/o.jpg

Hey Greg! Lookyou ^ I also came across a photo of a vast room at Swing Studios ( SoS Oct 16, pp 114 115) with TWO 4 x12 rigs in it. Cannot make them out properly but one looks like a 100W head and the other could be the Series One 200. I shall try to get more details.

SOMEBODY loves us!

Dave.

Haha not bad. But hey, some people like Bugeras too, so there's no accounting for taste in this world. :D

Guys, sorry about the excess of tones this weekend but I've just started working on something else too. Haven't finished writing it yet but any input you guys can give me on how I should go about the tones or mix would be great.

I'm pretty pleased with it so far and its a good cure for the Ukulele music and blues I've been pissing about with.

View attachment MR Test Tone.mp3

Now we're in Paris for a week. This will be interesting because I'm the one of the 5 of us that speaks the most French, and I can barely count to 3. I can, however, tell anyone that I have a red guitar. (I don't actually have a red guitar, but I did when I learned to say that). So apparently we're eating whatever French waiters feel like giving us for the next week. I'm expecting lots of boogers in my food...

I always end up eating lots of sushi in France - I don't know why, but it's usually pretty good. And there are soooo many absolutely crap "tourist" restaurants in France that you think "this looks nice" and which serve really average food... avoid! Hope you've got your walking shoes.:D

Ok guys, here are some clips of the EVH LBX with a lower gain tube (Tung-Sol 12AU7) in V1, using a humbucker guitar (used my Lester)...

Dropbox is still acting wonky, so I uploaded these to SC, & added the download option for those who want it...

Signal chain: LP > EVH LBX > EVH Greenback > i5

15w mode
Tung-Sol 12AU7 in V1
Blue channel
Resonance:..........2
Gain:..................first clip starts at "1", & increases from "2" to "5", 2nd clip starts at "6", & increases from "6" to "10"
Bass:..................7
Mid:....................4
Treble:................8
Volume:...............4
Presence:.............5

The 3rd clip is the red channel with the exact same setup/settings as the blue channel, but I only went from "1" to "4" on the gain knob...

Lemme know what you guys think...

Miner, interesting here a amp work its way about the gain dial like that. I'd never have the patience for that (probably why it takes me ages to dial in a tone).

I liked the blue channel until it got up to about 5 or 6, then all sounded good but I think five was my favourite - started to sound more like rock than country!. 7 was a bit weird, seemed to be quieter and less gainy - dunno why. 8 - 10 seemed like they were started to get a little mushy.

Red seemed a bit thin at first but then when the gain was turned up to 3 or 4 it started to sound really good again.

Guys, sorry about the excess of tones this weekend but I've just started working on something else too. Haven't finished writing it yet but any input you guys can give me on how I should go about the tones or mix would be great.

I'm pretty pleased with it so far and its a good cure for the Ukulele music and blues I've been pissing about with.

View attachment 98138

I like the riffs. The rhythms sound pretty scratchy to me. This is one where I think you can go heavier. Remove some mids, get some tight low end punch in there.

Ok guys, here are some clips of the EVH LBX with a lower gain tube (Tung-Sol 12AU7) in V1, using a humbucker guitar (used my Lester)...

Dropbox is still acting wonky, so I uploaded these to SC, & added the download option for those who want it...

15w mode
Tung-Sol 12AU7 in V1
Blue channel
Gain:..................first clip starts at "1", & increases from "2" to "5", 2nd clip starts at "6", & increases from "6" to "10"

The 3rd clip is the red channel with the exact same setup/settings as the blue channel, but I only went from "1" to "4" on the gain knob...

It seems like the tube swap has given you more clean headroom, judging by the first clip. I like all the tones on the first clip. Every single one is useable. On the second clip the last 2 samples were losing definition from the gain saturation. Actually that is a useable tone too. The red clip sounded great too. I put a 12AT7 in V2 In my bravo tube amp and it made all 3 channels sound better. I don't know exactly why that is the case, but I'm leaving the 12AT7 in there.

I have spent hours trying to get the song I told you I was working on down on drums so I can record it and STILL don't have it yet. I think I will just leave it alone for a while and try to record something else to post here.

15w mode
Tung-Sol 12AU7 in V1
Blue channel

I think that lower gain tube REALLY makes that amp more versatile. Before, it was all gain all the time, even on 1. Now you've got actual range in the gain knob. Much better to me. And it hasn't hurt the tone as far as I can tell. In fact, I think it sounds better. Better clarity, better note definition. Those sound pretty close to your DSL clips that I remember.

I like the riffs. The rhythms sound pretty scratchy to me. This is one where I think you can go heavier. Remove some mids, get some tight low end punch in there.

The scratchiness seems to mainly be from the Ibanez which is on the left (from memory). They both have a slight scoop at 530 (-3db and fairly narrow). They also have a +3db high shelf on them which could also be contributing to some scratchiness. I'll have a fiddle with it. I think I've got as close as I can get with the amp EQ alone now though.

I came up with some other riffs to fit with this last night so I'll hopefully finish the arrangement this week and record it on the weekend.

Thanks guys, I might've stumbled onto something with the lower gain tubes... I've tried that tube in V1 - V4 (I'm assuming V5 is the phase inverter & haven't tried that slot yet), but only with one tube/slot at a time...I'm gonna try 2 of those tubes in different slots (IE: V1 & V2) to see what that does...

I like what it does with that tube in V1, only thing is on the blue channel, it sounds weak/neutered with really low gain settings...I need to experiment a little more...

Jimi: Don't give up on it, put it away for a few days then come back to it...I'm pretty sure you can do it dude...

15w mode
Tung-Sol 12AU7 in V1
Blue channel

Sounds good! I really like that blue channel with the gain at 4-5 the best.

Back