The New Tone Thread

I'm surprised "The Management" are letting this kind of promotion of a rival website stand. :)

That is likely because the mods/supposed management are not assholes... Not sure I would call it a 'rival website'. I am a member there and do not find the same type of community there at all. Just a different thing altogether.

the midrange control is the key .... up to around halfway up, it's just a midrange control ..... past about halfway it also starts increasing gain in that mid area .... so max mids also boosts the gain.
If you want a more Fendery tone (Not counting the graphic) the mid control's gonna be around 3 '0' clock .... even lower maybe.

Thanks. I'm finding all the tone controls are highly interactive, subtle tweaks can add up. Also, that graphic EQ plays a big role in coloring the finished product. I haven't yet found a tone I'd describe as Fendery. If others are, I'd be curious to hear. But I am finding good clean tones. There's a slightly nasal quality to most of what I'm hearing that might be down more to the cab than the amp. I'll give it some time and also let the speaker break in. If it's still there, I might conclude I'm not a closed back 1x12 V30 kinda guy.

Nope, the same jimmys69. Just the site has seemed a bit dead for a while now. I respond to Cubase questions when I can answer, but those are far and few between for quite some time. The master of the site seems to have let go of his time on the forum. He was a Cubase guy.

Just like on HR I give my opinion when I feel I have something to offer. I just haven't had much to offer there.

I do not 'lurk' anywhere. Same username on steinberg.net as well. I find that odd that you would ask that actually...

Hell, even my FB page is completely public.

I haven't yet found a tone I'd describe as Fendery.
actually I have to go back and edit my post .... I said with the midrange at 3 'o' clock but I meant to say at 9 'o' clock and even lower.
I sometimes might even run the mids on zero .....
as for Fendery, I have no problem getting a fendery tone .... my V has 6L6's though ..... that kinda puts it in fender territory a bit right there.

But pull those mids out on that thing .... should get closer

I do not 'lurk' anywhere. Same username on steinberg.net as well. I find that odd that you would ask that actually...

Hell, even my FB page is completely public.

I only asked because I thought maybe you joined just recently and/or I haven't seen your name...
...but like I said, I just popped in there yesterday, so I haven't scoured the forum.

Not sure why you took that somewhat negatively? :D
I've seen guys here and elsewhere who joined the forums years earlier, and just "lurked" most of the time...because they just wanted to read/watch, and not post.
It's not meant like some "spying" thing. :)
I joined Gearslutz over 10 years ago...and I think I have less than 10 posts there...BUT...I "lurk" on that site from time to time.

I really like the SG tone. Bright and shiny. The tele seems a bit dark (as you said), but still sounds amazing. By itself I really liked it, but when the SG kicked in it was a different story...:)

Attachments

• 20161102_143024.jpg
    20161102_143024.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20161102_143137.jpg
    20161102_143137.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20161102_143259.jpg
    20161102_143259.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
1st clip L tone has a bad breaking tone when it's hit hard and it drops volume a lot when it's not breaking up... Right tone is sweet and mellow.
2nd clip both are quite a bit brighter. and the drop is still there: when the break stops, the volume drops (could be my ears).
The SG is def a better pick for these settings. Better breakup and less shrill.

Thanks. I recorded these straight in. I think both lead tones could benefit from a clean boost in front of the amp.

This will be the second to last song on next year's release. Working on the tones for the guitar and found this little gem hidden in the Vox. Playing around with the LP at half throttle looking for clean tones and poured the rhythm part into the DAW, but then the most amazing thing happened...I switched to the blended pickup position and ran the other pickup wide open and this Santana smooth thing started pouring out at me. Hope you agree this is a keeper! Love both tones. But open to critique. (I know I'm still a lousy guitar player (that's a comp of about 10 takes :facepalm:)

Um, wait man, that is two different tunes.

'Hello' is compressed beyond reality. Especially the snare. Bad.

'I Can't' does have a Santana feel, but the guitar seems out of place with the rest of the tune. Fine tune the verb would be my suggestion there.

:)

Thanks James! I'm confused...
Oh...one of those tunes is my sig...
The two tones are the solo tone at the beginning and the crisp, clean tone at the end.
I know it's not perfect yet. Just tracked and haven't started on the mix yet. Agree with the verb being out of whack between the guitar and the "everything else".

BTW, Hello has been remixed quite a bit. I should probably update the Soundcloud file...There was just too much bass in that to get any volume without crushing the rest of the mix...Kind of faders downed the thing and started over. It's still a pretty song. :)

Thanks James! I'm confused...
Oh...one of those tunes is my sig...
The two tones are the solo tone at the beginning and the crisp, clean tone at the end.
I know it's not perfect yet. Just tracked and haven't started on the mix yet. Agree with the verb being out of whack between the guitar and the "everything else".

Ok, that makes more sense. I misunderstood. Though what happened with your 'font' on the last post? I assume you may have copied here from another place?

I am just curious.

Back