The Mute Strings With Your Hands Trick

For electric, I do it with both hands. If I'm playing a power chord with the bass note on the A string, I use my middle finger to mute the low E.

That's weak. Fret the A and low E with your index finger, and the D,G, and B with your ring finger. 5-string Powerchord deluxe.

A little off topic and maybe more serious than this thread deserves, but have any of you experimented with any of Satriani's hand-over-hand muting or fretting techniques? Say, "The Power Cosmic" arpeggios or the atonal blowout in "Cool #9", or fretted stuff like the intro to Raspberry Jam Delta-V? He plays it conventionally these days, but when he recorded it he was holding down a B octave on the 4th fret G, 7th fret A so the top three strings were B, unison B, and B octave up, and then tapping out a mixolydian riff pulling off to the B strings with his fretting hand.

Seeing a tab of that in a guitar magazine when Crystal Planet came out got me curious enough to go out and buy that album, which promptly turned my guitar world on its head. :laughings:

Gayest post ever! :laughings:

:laughings:

Ok. Take your fretting hand, reach up, and grab the neck around the 4th fret with your thumb on the back of the neck. Take your pointer finger, and fret the 4th fret on the G string. Take your pinkie, and fret the 7th fret on the E string. You now have a B note on all three of your top strings.

Then, take your fretting hand, and hit on/pull off this lick:

Code:
|-----------12p11p7-------------------|
|-10p0-12p0---------10p0-12p0-10h12p0-|
|-------------------------------------|

|-----------12p11p7------------------|
|-10p0-12p0------------------10h12p0-|
|-------------------9p4-11p4---------|
|------------------------------------|

...at a pretty brisk tempo. It sounds fuckin' awesome, even my non-guitarist friends think it's cool as hell. :D

12p11p7?
10h12p0?
What?

Well, thanks people. I just did this;
Just touch the finger pad to the string to stop it.
For electric, I do it with both hands. If I'm playing a power chord with the bass note on the A string, I use my middle finger to mute the low E.
this
holding down a B octave on the 4th fret G, 7th fret A so the top three strings were B, unison B, and B octave up, and then tapping out a mixolydian riff pulling off to the B strings with his fretting hand.
and this
Have some groupie offstage with a screaming brat just waiting to fill up a diaper for you? What if the kid has had too much apple juice - what are you gonna do then? Use a diahhrea-soaked diaper? Dear lord, think of the consequences. Your tone would be all, like, thin and runny.
in one flowing movement, the mute supreme. And the landlord evicted me ! :eek: It was muting while tapping out that mixolydian riff that proved to be my Waterloo......

Generally, I prefer these days that guitar solos are muted with yer feet... on the volume pedal, until the solo's over, then you can turn it up again and get back to the music.

Sometimes it's just easier to record an air guitar than to bother with all that hand muting crap.Except on windy days you'll need one of those mic condoms.

Back