the most annoying sound in the world

KCandies

The backround fuzz or hiss or eggs and bacon crap or what ever you wanna call it. How do I get rid of it of at least take it down a notch or even two. Lets face it i don't have the best equipment but i still don't think it should sound this bad. It's only when I record acoustic guitars. Any suggestions on micing the guitar or running through and amp are welcome. Also if you know of some kind of eq setting in Cubase sx that i can use. Any and all ideas welcome.

I'm using a very inexpensive mic. no external board. and i'm running it in to my computer editing with cubase sx. i'm not looking for record store ready production i know that's impossible with the gear i have just looking for a little better.

It could be just a really shittyass cable sound.

They have that frying sound, most cables do, when you wiggle them, but it gets out of control with supershitty cables.

Well, for the editing approach, it may be educational to open up an EQ on the track. Then choose a band that you think might be in the ball park. If it's hiss, I'd start around 6-8Khz. Now give that band a fairly narrow Q (20-30?) and just move it left to right up and down the frequency range until you find the spot where you've reduced the offending noise without taking too much away from the tone of the guitar. Widen or narrow the Q, and adjust the level of reduction in that band as necessary.

Of course, getting it to track nice and clean would be ideal.

If you are using your PC's original soundcard and running straight into the mic input, that's your problem. You need to get a small mixer or external mic pre and run into the line input.

A preamp will make all the difference in the world, for sure. I used the preamp in a 4-track when i was doing direct 1-mic recording to my computer and it worked well. If you don't have a 4-track, any preamp will do.

If you still have hiss, remember that a little hiss is much better than a recording that's been through a really bad hiss/noise removal filter. When the air on an acoustic recording has that pumping compressed sound, I cringe.

Playing a digital signal when your digital console isn't clocked right.

I have blown tweeters like this in the past.

Back