"The Get Down" mix help please

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
Heyhey,

Just had a group come over yesterday and tracked this one song. Looking for some advice how I can possibly pep it up a bit. It in some way feels lacking and I'm not sure where.
First Mix

Second Mix

So any criticism would be helpful! Thanks.

Last edited:
IMO, if you really want to make this rock, the drum track needs work. It just sounds overly civilized and reserved. In particular, I think the snare needs to punch the listener in the face more. I also found the drums maybe a bit on the dry side.

As for the rest of the mix, I'm not sure what you had going on, but the stereo image wasn't doing it for me. Sorry to be so vague, it's just something that came to mind.

I think the vox might be a tad overpowering (loud) in some parts... especially the chorus.

My first impression of the song was that I didn't think I'd like it, but by the end I was getting it and ended up listening to it again.

Matt

Yeah, if you're wondering what seems wrong it is the drum sound. I don't know much about drum mix so I can't tell you why. Maybe over-compressed? The guitars sound good.

Kerrio

I dont think the drums are compressed enough. They also need a bit more space. This is just a guess but did you track four or five guitar solos, and then patch them together. It doesnt really sound as fluid as it should. Fatten the guitars when the Pennywise vocals come in at the end. Good song, and mix.

With all things considered, I made this new mix. Hopefully it can bring a little more life to the song. Thanks for the comments. I needed some new ears, I felt stuck.

With all things considered, I made this new mix. Hopefully it can bring a little more life to the song. Thanks for the comments. I needed some new ears, I felt stuck.

Of course I'm only going on memory of the previous version, but I think this one is much improved. Definitely the nit I had about the vocal levels is no longer there. In fact, some might chime in and say they're a tad low in the verse, but I personally think they're just right.

Drums sound much better but to my ears they're still the weak link in this recording. I'm sure you're probably getting close to just about everything you can out of the tracks you have... tracking them again would be the only way to make any big changes. What do you have in the way of acoustic space for the drums? To state the obvious, I think a nice sounding room with a bit of natural 'verb and a set of room mics would be the ticket on this song. At least, that's what I was hearing in my head. Not trying to be insulting, believe me, I am well acquainted with struggling with drums in recording and mixing.

Matt

Back