The Fun Never Ends With My 388 Misadventures

And, yes I know the female plugs are different colours and have different numbers of holes. But if I have two plugs the same colour with the same number of holes and the same number of wires (or whatever you call wires in America) I need something more than "connect the plug with X holes and X wires to PXXX.

Maybe it’s just me…but I find you very difficult to help…like trying to pick up egg whites with my bare fingers.

Let’s just start with the BUSS A PCB, the one that has the GAIN controls for the monitor mixer.

P101 is a yellow 9-pin connector. It should have a yellow 9-pin plug connector to it which goes to 9 soldered wires on the BUSS B PCB.

Verify that and we’ll move on to the next one.

Erm. Buss A is where the monitor gain controls are located (trust me, I know the difference between a pan pot (centre detente) and a volume pot (no detente). Buss A is on the left (because it's A) and the gain controls for the monitor section are also the left. Anyhoo. P101. Yep, A yellow connector with 9 wires soldered to the B board is plugged to that whatever the hell it is (do those things even have a name?) I only see one yellow connector that matches that description, so that must be the right one

Last edited:
You know I don't talk Technese, right? I don't know what anything in this machine is called.

P103: this is a red 9-pin connector that should have a red plug connected to it that goes to the 2 PCBs to which the TAPE OUT jacks are mounted. This might be a little hard to verify, but do your best. Just follow the wires back to try and verify they go to the TAPE OUT jacks.

P105 is also red and has 9 pins, However the, I'm going to say wires, are harnessed in such a way that only one of two red connectors with 9 holes can reach it. So I plugged the other one (there are two) on to P103. I didn't harness the wiring.

Also, I have no idea what wires go where. They're all harnessed together with cable ties in a way that makes tracing the path of each group of wires nigh on impossible.

I've successfully identified the right 103 and plugged the 9 hole red connector that can't reach 105 on to it.

Next connection please

Then you have to clip the wire ties so you can figure it out…have new small zip ties on hand to re-do the ties as you go…one way or the other this is how you verify what goes where and that each connector is plugged into the right connector on the respective PCB. If there is some other obvious way you can verify the plug is the right one in the connector (like only one red connector can physically reach P103 in this example) then okay. Just tell me that, but make certain that’s the case. I can’t emphasize how important it is each plug is in the right connector.

Also, I have no idea what wires go where. They're all harnessed together with cable ties in a way that makes tracing the path of each group of wires nigh on impossible.
I have traced wires through bundles of zip ties wires. It can be done. If it is important enough you’ll have the patience to do whatever you need to do to sort this out.

Even if I clip the ties that first red 9 pin connector won't reach P105. The wires are too short

I've just noticed that two of the red connectors are labelled 103. The other has 8 pins
Labeled, like it’s embossed in the plastic, right? Ignore that. That’s not related to Tascam. It’s molded at the time the plug housing is manufactured.

Labeled, like it’s embossed in the plastic, right? Ignore that. That’s not related to Tascam. It’s molded at the time the plug housing is manufactured.
No, on the boards. There's a P103 (it's actually just 103) on the A board (that's the 9 pin one) and a 103 on the B board (the 8 pin one)

I've successfully identified the right 103 and plugged the 9 hole red connector that can't reach 105 on to it.

Next connection please
Okay. We’re still on the BUSS A PCB.

P104 is white 8-pin connector. It should have a white plug that connects to it, and at the other end of that is a red 8-pin plug, and that connects to red connector P121 on the MONITOR PCB.

Back