The Fun Never Ends With My 388 Misadventures

Okay. Why is the signal from one channel being routed to all pgm busses regardless of where it's actually being told to go? And by that I mean, if I route the signal to tape track 1 via buss assign 1/2, pan turned fully left and left buss fader, as well as channel fader (the actual mixer channel makes no difference) and stereo master fader, raised to unity gain, all the channel VU meters move simultaneously when I make any kind of noise into the mic. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal behaviour. At least that's not how I remember it working and I don't understand why it's behaving this way now.

Nope that’s not normal. Does audio pass correctly at the buss out jacks? In other words you have a mic assigned to PGM group 1, does that signal only appear at the BUSS OUT jack 1? Or is it like what your meters show and the signal is present at all 8 BUSS OUT jacks?

Have you already gone through all your connections you disconnected and verified everything is hooked back up correctly? Nobody reading this thread including me has any idea what all you’ve taken apart, what you’ve done to try and resolve the issue, so it’s like we have blindfolds on and you are asking us to tell you what you are painting. You have to describe in detail what’s going on so we can help.

I can’t say for certain why this problem is happening with the PGM groups, but I’m reasonably certain it is related to something you did when you reassembled the unit. So if you haven’t verified it’s back together correctly, you need to do that first, and please STOP powering it up before you do that. If you haven’t already you can cause permanent damage by assembling it incorrectly and powering it up, and clearly something is not right, so stop and figure it out before you zorch something, if you haven’t already.

Which connections are responsible for bussing signal to the pgm groups? And the monitor section.

Do you understand all connections need to be correct? Not just the ones the handle PGM group bussing?

I’ll help you with this, but we’re going to take each connection one at a time and verify it’s going to the right place, not just pick-and-choose some.

I didn't do a full disassembly (even I'm not that daft). All I removed were: The eight mixer channel cards, the A and B buss cards, the monitor buss card and, obviously, the mixer buss card. The first eight are identical, the A and B cards can be distinguished by what the pots on them do (A's are monitor volume and B's are panning). And the monitor buss card on

Okay, there are only three connections to each mixer board and it's easy to tell what they are (one on the top of each pcb and two at the bottom). Obviously the ones at the top connect the channel faders to their respective mixer pcbs, What do the two on the side near the bottom do?

Second question. What's the first connection on the A buss board?

Look at the labels of the connections. Please. Pxxx or Pxx. I don’t know what your “two on the side near the bottom” and “first connection” identifiers mean. First from what? What side? Bottom of what? I don’t want to waste either of our time by guessing. If you can’t see the labels at this point then take a pic of you pointing to the connector with a tool or something, or edit in an arrow or something in the pic so I can see what connector you mean. Capture the whole card in the pic so I can see what else is around the connector you’re asking about.

I can't take pictures. I have no camera mobile enough to do it with.

Okay. P103. What is it? There are eight of them.

To me it looks like where the channel faders connect to... What? What are they connected to? What is the name of the PCBs that the channel faders are connected to?

I can't take pictures. I have no camera mobile enough to do it with.

Okay. P103. What is it? There are eight of them.
:facepalm:

You started the thread with pics…what happened to the image capture device you used to take those pics??

P103 on what PCB??

8 of what? 8 connectors? 8 PCBs? 8 conductors on a cable?

It would really help if the damned plugs were labelled. They're not
No they’re not. Sometimes I take a fine point sharpie and label them as to what the connect to, the connector number and PCB when I’m taking stuff apart.

Not a 388, but yes I have the manual. How do you think I was posting excerpts from the schematics and making references to the schematics?

Okay, Can you accept that I only took the mixer (m) buss card, the 8 input cards, the A and B cards and the monitor buss card out? And then can you tell me which one you believe to be the monitor buss card, because I think we're getting our wires crossed there. To me it's the card with the switches for arming tracks on the tape machine on it.

I don’t care what you took out of the unit. There’s nothing for me to accept.

Can you accept that if you want my help I need you to answer my questions?

IMO the crossed wires are at your end.

Yes you are correct, the MONITOR PCB is the one with the 8 record arming switches and LEDs.

Sigh. I'll look at the other visible boards to see if any of the connections are loose or disconnected.

How can I possibly tell which wires are crossed if I have no idea what's supposed to go where? Isn't there a damned colour code guide for Tascam wiring? Why did they bother using so many damned colours if they didn't intend for them to mean something?

Back