The Fun Never Ends With My 388 Misadventures

Sourcing a replacement is a nightmare. The only people who have the RK163 series are Mouser and they charge insane shipping (for £15 it'd better come on a velvet pillow in a gold plated case)

Sourcing a replacement is a nightmare. The only people who have the RK163 series are Mouser and they charge insane shipping (for £15 it'd better come on a velvet pillow in a gold plated case)
Yes. We discussed this in a different thread of yours in the past. IIRC I offered I might have one but needed to get into storage and dig through spares and it would take some time. I think there was conversation offline. I can’t recall the details but you became frustrated with me and determined you didn’t want to buy anything from me and would just buy a new part…I think at that point I helped you to find the closest match but it was either purchase one that has the correct physical characteristics but incorrect taper, or correct taper and incorrect shaft length. I suggested you could get the one with the correct taper and cut down the shaft with a rotary tool. Or leave that one with the knob sticking up higher than the others. Or just accept the differing taper characteristics of the one with the correct physical characteristics. Those were and are your options still. And you were unhappy about the cost of the part and shipping. But that just is what it is.

That was about the master gain pots for aux and effects on the monitor buss, I didn't know enough to be able to answer your questions and that lead to me getting frustrated and losing my temper. Also, I couldn't find the questions in the private conversation we had so I assume it happened in another thread. Incidentally, having intact molex connectors really does make a big difference when it comes to positioning the monitor buss board correctly.

It's working again!

Erase. Yes!
Record. Yes!
Playback. Yes!

I'm not sure what changed but maybe having the Molex sockets for the record arm LEDs had some effect.

Last edited:
Now that my 388 is finally fully operational again (well, at least it's printing signal) it seems like this thread should be labelled SOLVED. But I can't see that option. Also... Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what actually solved the issue? Mine would be that the issue was caused by an improperly connected M buss board due to an incorrectly seated Monitor buss PCB; which was cured by replacing several damaged Molex connectors holding the record arm indicator LEDs in place. Otherwise... MAGIC

Back