The Celebrity Obituary Thread

I completely forgot that Michael Nesmith wrote one of my favorite songs.

I don't remember this song when it was released. But, once I heard it, many years later, I can listen to it on repeat for hours.

I just found out today that Alan Lancaster, the original bassist and songwriter, vocalist and founder member of Status Quo, died back in September.
Although he was kind of bumped off after Live aid and Quo have been a sort of viable concern since he left in the 80s, as far as I'm concerned, he was so integral to Quo in their heyday. To me, Quo without Lancaster was as crazy as the Threetles, putting out music 15 years after the death of John Lennon. Lancaster wrote some great songs, had a fantastic voice and was the epitome of the muscular bassist. That's how I describe his bass playing, 'muscular'.

They were big in oz, I have almost every album. They had a bit comeback around the world when they opened live aid with “rocking all over the world”.

Alan Lancaster moved to Oz in the late 80’s (I think and dropped out of the band through the 90’s sometime. He was in a band in Oz called the party boys for a while.

Status quo had a come back here in the 2000,’s when a supermarket chain had then on playing Down Down with the line prices are down 😂 laughed all the way to the bank.

I just found out today that Alan Lancaster, the original bassist and songwriter, vocalist and founder member of Status Quo, died back in September.
Although he was kind of bumped off after Live aid and Quo have been a sort of viable concern since he left in the 80s, as far as I'm concerned, he was so integral to Quo in their heyday. To me, Quo without Lancaster was as crazy as the Threetles, putting out music 15 years after the death of John Lennon. Lancaster wrote some great songs, had a fantastic voice and was the epitome of the muscular bassist. That's how I describe his bass playing, 'muscular'.
I remember reading a story about Lancaster and Rossi and Quo. Not a great one if true.

They're all the same Rich. :-)
The hacks in the media like to characterize them that way, but that's not at all true. Same sort of way that the Osmonds and the Bay City Rollers are generally written up as teenybop shit, when they are a lot more varied than that.
Though hard to do, bands that make albums shouldn't really be judged by their singles.

I remember reading a story about Lancaster and Rossi and Quo. Not a great one if true.
They fell out, big time. Then they kind of made up. Then they fell out again. Francis Rossi's autobiography is good at presenting his side of the story. Shame that Lancaster never wrote one because I think that would have been more interesting. John Coghlan's one was really good.

The hacks in the media like to characterize them that way, but that's not at all true. Same sort of way that the Osmonds and the Bay City Rollers are generally written up as teenybop shit, when they are a lot more varied than that.
Though hard to do, bands that make albums shouldn't really be judged by their singles.
Twas a joke GT. Status Quo meaning keeping it all the same.:-)

Twas a joke GT. Status Quo meaning keeping it all the same.:-)
I know. Sensible people never seriously mean their albums all sound the same.

Back in the early 80s, a mate of mine, who was avowedly anti-heavy rock, one day kept emphasizing their name and saying that their music didn't change, like he'd hit on the meaning of life.
Funny thing was, at the time, I'd not made the connection !! 🤣

Plane crashes and explodes in San Diego neighborhood - There have so far not been any official news on injuries and how many people were even on board the plane. Lakeside Fire Protection District Chief Don Butz reportedly said there were were no fatalities or injuries on the ground.

I hate to jump to conclusions, but, RIP Harrison Ford?

san diego plane crash.jpg

John Madden- Super Bowl winning NFL coach and broadcasting icon dies at 85.

Quite a character, Madden. Famous for such summarizations as, "Somebody has to win, and somebody has to lose. What it all boils down to is at the end of this competition the team who scores the most points is going to win this football game."

Truer words, truer words. RIP John Madden.

Burke Shelley, the singer and bass player from Budgie, at 71.
They were a good band but it's not hard to see why they never made it among the top echelon of heavy metal, even though some of their songs are on a par with, and even surpass, the likes of Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple, Grand Funk and others of their ilk and time.

Burke Shelley, the singer and bass player from Budgie, at 71.
They were a good band but it's not hard to see why they never made it among the top echelon of heavy metal, even though some of their songs are on a par with, and even surpass, the likes of Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple, Grand Funk and others of their ilk and time.
Melt The Ice Away ! Great song ! RIP Burke

Back