The Celebrity Obituary Thread

Yep. Campbell gathered some of the Wrecking Crew together to record a demo for Gentle On My Mind. He would shout out direction to the others during the run through of the song. He left the rough recording for his producer to hear. The producer took the ball and ran with it. Edited out the shouted directions and released the demo as is. They were just. that. good.

Talking with Leon Russell(formerly of the wrecking crew) he talks a bit about it starting at :55.

Cool video Mick, thanks. That's what I was listening to as a kid in the early 70s. And Leon Russell is one chill dude!

R.I.P. Sir Bruce Forsythe.
It'll be interesting to see how many people know who he was.

Heh...Dude's been old since about 1940.

Yeah, I just read that. There are for the most part two camps, love 'em or hate 'em. Though a bit on the high-brow side, he and Fagan wrote and recorded some really good stuff. Any major dude will tell you.

I heard a quote recently from Fagan, paraphrasing, you can't spend a lot of time in the studio making albums like we used to do any more. If you do you're doing to for free because you'll never get the money back through album sales."

One of the most awesome recordings ever made. I can and have spent hours playing it over and over listening to each individual instrument per play. Building drums(Bernard Purdy) n bass, funky clavinet, tasteful use of keys, and incredible solo by Larry Carlton, a lot going on in this one. Pretty awesome lyrically as well. Becker was the lyrics guy for Steely Dan.

RIP Becker. Really sad about this one. Massively important band to me.

This song was my introduction to them. It was all over FM radio in 77-78. How can you hear it and not feel good? "This brother is free, I'll be what I want to be." Thanks Walter.

Yeah, they don't get a lot of love around here but I learnt some of my best chords from Steely Dan. Was always a fan.

Well...I'm in the hate 'em camp. :D
I respect their awesome musicianship...and clinically, they cut some great albums...but I can't really stand listening to them.

OK...maybe there's a couple of songs, but right about the time they cut the album "Aja", my girlfriend's BFFs use to always hang around in a pack, and 2-3 of them became obsessed with that album, along with Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours", which was released the same year....and these girls would play them endlessly in the cars, on their boomboxes....endlessly.

I was OK with Fleetwood Mac, since I like them before "Rumours", and the music has more of that Pop/Rock sound...but "Aja" drove me nuts....especially the title tune.
Went on a camping trip with all of themthem, and I musta' heard "Aja" about 200 times. :facepalm:
After that...I just couldn't listen to Steely Dan anymore, and still can't to this day.

Still...RIP Walter...

I recall getting the Riki Lose the Number on 45vinyl... for some unknown reason, it was one of those "lets try someone else. Reelin in the Years is a favorite lead, kind of catchy and simple but not really as simple as it sounds.

Soft rock........lookin at the Billboard there was a big supply of soft studio polished soft rock.

Attachments

• soft.png
    soft.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 56
Well...I'm in the hate 'em camp. :D
I respect their awesome musicianship...and clinically, they cut some great albums...but I can't really stand listening to them.

OK...maybe there's a couple of songs, but right about the time they cut the album "Aja", my girlfriend's BFFs use to always hang around in a pack, and 2-3 of them became obsessed with that album, along with Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours", which was released the same year....and these girls would play them endlessly in the cars, on their boomboxes....endlessly.

I was OK with Fleetwood Mac, since I like them before "Rumours", and the music has more of that Pop/Rock sound...but "Aja" drove me nuts....especially the title tune.
Went on a camping trip with all of themthem, and I musta' heard "Aja" about 200 times. :facepalm:
After that...I just couldn't listen to Steely Dan anymore, and still can't to this day.

Still...RIP Walter...

Because an obituary thread is always the best place to tell the world you didn't like the work of a famous, successful and hugely respected musician.

I hear he wasn't so mucn a fan of yours either miro.

Speaking of well respected musicians, Dave Hlubek (lead guitar for Molly Hatchet) has assumed room temperature.

Okay, that's a little weird. I was going to relate a story as a love 'em or hate 'em example.

Back when Aja was a new release, a fairly straight laced pedestrian bloke of sorts with some extra scratch in his pocket asked me what would be a good cassette tape to buy. I suggested Aja, Steely Dan. We got back in his car and he popped it into the dash. Black Cow began to play as we were busy packing a bowl to get high. The title track then began. The look on his face was hilarious...."wtf is this, Charlie Brown?" He immediately went back to the store and purchased the new Molly Hatchet album (tape). Out came Aja, in went the Molly Hatchet, and Aja went out the window. All these years later I would never have guessed Steely Dan's Aja and Molly Hatchet would be in so close in proximity.

Thoughts on Molly Hatchet, miro? :laughings:

In my mind, opinion, the title track Aja is brilliant, if a bit on the inaccessible side to the average listener. The chord changes, Denny Dias' guitar runs, Steve Gadd's epic drums on the outro, very nice. Other tunes on the album were too accessible, jazzed-up pop pap. The album in its entirety was different than their previous offerings. Other than the title track, it has little to offer for playback.

also, surprised no one pointed out that I misspelled Fagen's name, twice. You're slipping.

Incoming!

now Molly Hatchet was more easily found in my area and friends circle.

I actually saw them post the success years in a small bar in New MExico and the one guy was so wasted and out of rehab or something he started yelling about Desert Storm war that had been over for 2yrs...it was funny in a bizarre way of laughing at some total burn out......brain fried.

I recall watching them thinking damn those guys are probably so wasted and have been wasted for like 30yrs....still in the biz but returned to the small bar circuits.

RIP Molly Hatchet

Yeah, they don't get a lot of love around here but I learnt some of my best chords from Steely Dan. Was always a fan.

There are some really cool vids on the net with Fagen discussing and demonstrating chord substitutions used on some of their tunes. It's really interesting, taking common chord structures, and through chord substitutions creating something else, but the same, except different. I have to admit, it's a bit over my head, but very, very interesting.

Back