The Celebrity Obituary Thread

There are some really cool vids on the net with Fagen discussing and demonstrating chord substitutions used on some of their tunes. It's really interesting, taking common chord structures, and through chord substitutions creating something else, but the same, except different. I have to admit, it's a bit over my head, but very, very interesting.

I will check them out - thanks Mick

Yeah, I just read that. There are for the most part two camps, love 'em or hate 'em. Though a bit on the high-brow side, he and Fagan wrote and recorded some really good stuff. Any major dude will tell you.

I heard a quote recently from Fagan, paraphrasing, you can't spend a lot of time in the studio making albums like we used to do any more. If you do you're doing to for free because you'll never get the money back through album sales."

One of the most awesome recordings ever made. I can and have spent hours playing it over and over listening to each individual instrument per play. Building drums(Bernard Purdy) n bass, funky clavinet, tasteful use of keys, and incredible solo by Larry Carlton, a lot going on in this one. Pretty awesome lyrically as well. Becker was the lyrics guy for Steely Dan.

Royal Scam could quite possibly be my all time favorite album. There are some great songs on that piece of vinyl.

I think, at least for me, imo...

Fagen and Becker have been known to say Steely Dan was first and foremost a rock band. As time went by this became less apparent to my ear, at least up to anything after the Katy Lied album. Man, rock music gotta have guitars, some raw guitar attack(see Baxter's guitar and lead work on My Old School). Those earlier albums, they had some great guitar licks and solos, and Baxter's steel work added a certain atmospheric aura. That is not to say music on The Royal Scam and following didn't have some great solo work, but the songs themselves, hm, it took a bit more work to appreciate the material. I personally don't want to work that hard. Give me some Razor Boy for a buzz chill(although I don't partake anymore), Only A Fool Would Say That, Your Gold Teeth, The Boston Rag, Show Biz Kids(w/ Rick Derringer on slide)...yeah, Countdown to Ecstasy is probably my favorite Steely Dan album. Gaucho? Yeah, I was out. Hey Nineteen my ass, it sounded more like Adult Contemporary than anything, very not rock.

Great "band", though. I have to say Kid Charlemagne is the top track. Checks all of the boxes, top shelf.

RIP Walter Becker.

Interesting. Royal Scam is probably my least favorite Steely Dan album. As I get older, I keep coming back to their later albums more than the earlier ones. Gaucho might be my current fave. Two incredibly talented dudes who had earned the right to do whatever the hell they wanted--them and a roomful of the best studio cats ever to play.

Lyrics are a big deal to me. That combination of wit, humor, and goofiness in their lyrics always appealed to me. How many lines from their songs stick in the mind decades after you first heard them? "The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing."

Last edited:
Because an obituary thread is always the best place to tell the world you didn't like the work of a famous, successful and hugely respected musician.

I hear he wasn't so mucn a fan of yours either miro.

:facepalm:

No...I didn't like them since back in the late '70s, like I already said, though I respect their musicianship, like I already said.
His dying has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

There's a lot of people who don't like them...like Mick Doobie said in his post, you're either in the love 'em or hate group.
Get over it and put down the torch now, as though your praise of them in the obituary thread will make Walter feel a whole lot better.

You should watch you don't over use that hand typing...I don't want to be the cause of any RSI. ;)

Last edited:
Keep it light, fellas.

I added a smile at the end of my post....will that do it? :)
Armistice likes to follow me around and nitpick at only my posts...it's just his thing...and it's definitely "light".

That was a funny anecdote about that guy and his take on Steely Dan vs. Molly Hatchet.

Yeah, true story. I was going to bore everyone by telling it, but didn't bother. Then Molly Hatchet shows up in this thread....

Kinda weird, actually. Like I said, I would never have thought all these years later that Steely Dan and Molly Hatchet would once again be in such close proximity. Strange how things work out sometimes.

Hey miro....back in the day my girlfriend and her friends were also really into Fleetwood Mac Rumours. Their favorite line which they liked to get giddy and sing along? "..won't you lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stu-u-uff". Yeah, I learned to like that album. heh

Last edited:
I added a smile at the end of my post....will that do it? :)
Armistice likes to follow me around and nitpick at only my posts...it's just his thing...and it's definitely "light".

That was a funny anecdote about that guy and his take on Steely Dan vs. Molly Hatchet.

I'm following you? Check the thread history...

I looked up RSI. Uncool, miro, and to a fellow musician? Did you find out about that when Arm was following you around nitpicking at your posts?

I'd throw some red chicklets your way if possible. :D No, seriously.

Armistice should probably apologize. You must have really been hurt to react thusly. You alright, man?

R.I.P. Mick Doobie. Although he wasn't famous, he will still be missed by many. Or several. A few. His wife will miss him. Maybe.

Good thing you don't have to worry about such things, huh?...eating that tofu chicken. You do know it isn't real chicken, yeah? Fake chicken. It's fake, no chicken.

Dude, you can't keep a good man down. Don't worry so, i'll be just fine!

Tomorrow i'll have my toes in the sand, sun in my face, wind in my hair, and a hook in the water. Fish, it'll be what's for dinner. Delicious.

Do they make tofu fish, too? :wtf:

EZ willy said:
I'm too fucking old to troll and if I weren't this is the last place I'd be doing it so we can get that out of the way.

Fake, i'm calling it. Say it ain't so, is there nothing real in this world anymore?

C'mon man, this the obituary thread, have some fucking respect, troll.

Fake, i'm calling it. Say it ain't so, is there nothing real in this world anymore?

C'mon man, this the obituary thread, have some fucking respect, troll.

Copy that and note to self: There will be no kidding around at all whatsoever. Even with internet friends because they get butthurt over stupid silly things now. Got it. Bye.

Well damn, don't run off in a huff. Who is butthurt?

Just take it to another thread, all i'm saying, friend.

Last edited:
You may not know his name, Gale Andrews, but if you ever used Audacity he was one of the "Back Bones" of the software as well as their community. I have know him close to 12 years and he will be missed by many on their on line community. RIP Gale.

I looked up RSI. Uncool, miro, and to a fellow musician? Did you find out about that when Arm was following you around nitpicking at your posts?

I'd throw some red chicklets your way if possible. :D No, seriously.

Armistice should probably apologize. You must have really been hurt to react thusly. You alright, man?

LOL - don't worry about miro and me - we've been snipping at each other for years - we don't take it too seriously - miro is actually the main cause of my RSI because I have to continually correct his thinking. It's a real drag... :laughings:

---------- Update ----------

Thought someone would have mentioned the Husker Du drummer - read about him whilst waiting in the doctor's surgery this morning. Grant someone? No love for Husker Du?

Grant Hart, drummer of Husker Du died at 56. A college friend introduced me to them in 1986. I must say I found and still find them incredibly boring, but that is more down to Bob Mould's bland guitar playing than Hart's drumming.

Back