TEAC A-6010 as my mix own deck...

LuLu09

Hello again, As I mentioned in my last post I picked up a mint condition ($10.00 total cost barn find) TEAC A-6010 RTR recorder and I'd like to know if I can use it with
my current home recording set up. I'm using a mid 90's Roland VS2480 Digital Recorder and I'd like to know if and how to connect it directly
to the TEAC A-6010 ?

What I'm concerned about the most is about the impedance ratings needed for correct interfacing of these two units especially since one (the TEAC A-6010)
is so much older than the mid 90's Roland VS2480 digital recorder ?

Thanks for helping me, stay well, Charles

You should be able to use the 2480 as a mixer, sending the outputs from the Roland (either master or aux) to feed the line inputs of the Teac. Don't worry so much about the impedance, you're working with standard line level signals. It's not as big an issue as low vs high impedance microphones.

You should be able to use the 2480 as a mixer, sending the outputs from the Roland (either master or aux) to feed the line inputs of the Teac. Don't worry so much about the impedance, you're working with standard line level signals. It's not as big an issue as low vs high impedance microphones.
Correct but gain staging between the Roland outs and TEAC ins will be critical as the Roland puts out considerably more than -10.

That may be true, but it should be a pretty easy adjustment to drop the output to something the Teac can handle. Just because the Roland CAN output +4dBv (1.2) V doesn't mean it MUST put out that much. Dropping the output volume should be able to lower things so that it can fit the 6010, plus using an unbalanced jack will drop the max to -2dBv vs the balanced +4. It should be easy to adjust the outputs by looking at the input meters on the Teac. I've done it dozens of times.

That may be true, but it should be a pretty easy adjustment to drop the output to something the Teac can handle. Just because the Roland CAN output +4dBv (1.2) V doesn't mean it MUST put out that much. Dropping the output volume should be able to lower things so that it can fit the 6010, plus using an unbalanced jack will drop the max to -2dBv vs the balanced +4. It should be easy to adjust the outputs by looking at the input meters on the Teac. I've done it dozens of times.
I am aware but the OP might not be.

Thank You both for helping me with this. I'll be hooking this up this afternoon and will report back. In regards to "dropping the output to something that the
Roland VS2480 can more easily handle"...how would I accomplish this ? Would I need to buy some kind of step down transformer gizmo that would lower the output voltage from the Roland VS 2480 before it hits the TEAC A-6010 ? Also, I agree that just going with the RCA connectors should bring things down a bit according to what I've read on other web threads.

NOTE: In my studio I have my VS2480 connecting directly to my TASCAM MRS which is a -10 system only with nothing more than RCA jacks and I've never had a problem. This is why I was hoping to use the A-6010 once in a while with my VS2480. There are times when I'm only recording 1 or 2 tracks and it seems like such a waste to run my 16 track Half Track just to record 2 tracks ?

Again many many thanks, Charles

Charles again...BTW what does RRuskin mean by the "OP" might not be ? Does this stand for Operating System ? Output ? Thanks :)

Thank You both for helping me with this. I'll be hooking this up this afternoon and will report back. In regards to "dropping the output to something that the
Roland VS2480 can more easily handle"...how would I accomplish this ? Would I need to buy some kind of step down transformer gizmo that would lower the output voltage from the Roland VS 2480 before it hits the TEAC A-6010 ? Also, I agree that just going with the RCA connectors should bring things down a bit according to what I've read on other web threads.

NOTE: In my studio I have my VS2480 connecting directly to my TASCAM MRS which is a -10 system only with nothing more than RCA jacks and I've never had a problem. This is why I was hoping to use the A-6010 once in a while with my VS2480. There are times when I'm only recording 1 or 2 tracks and it seems like such a waste to run my 16 track Half Track just to record 2 tracks ?

Again many many thanks, Charles
The TEAC inputs are what you need to be careful of. All that is necessary is to watch how hard you hit them because the Roland puts out a hotter signal than the TEAC line ins are designed to handle. Look up and learn about "gain staging." FYI - an RCA connector will not change output level from 1 unbalanced device to another.

The TEAC inputs are what you need to be careful of. All that is necessary is to watch how hard you hit them because the Roland puts out a hotter signal than the TEAC line ins are designed to handle. Look up and learn about "gain staging." FYI - an RCA connector will not change output level from 1 unbalanced device to another.
Again many thanks and OK I'll pay strict attention as to how hard I hit the INPUTs on the A-6010, Stay well, Charles

If you're already running the output of the VS to a Tascam tape deck then you will probably just need to turn down the output a bit more. The MSR has a 300mV input, the 6010 is rated at 100mV.

RE: the output level of the VS2480, per page 48 of the Roland manual

10—ANALOG MULTI OUTPUT Jacks 1-8
These are the VS-2480’s line-level analog output jacks. When used with balanced cables, they produce a +4dBu level; when used with unbalanced cables, they produce a
level of -2dBu.

Hi Rich and thank you again for your help. Yes I saw this info today when looking at my manuals. The question is, what does -2dB
translate to in regards to mV output ?

While I'm here with you, maybe you can answer another question about my TEAC A-6010...I've read that operating / using a deck of this much
weight (just under 50 pounds), in a standing position opposed to laying the machine on all 4 rubber will take a lot of strain off of the motors
which obviously are very heavy.

I have my MSR 16 in it's roll around stand/rack and I never use it in it's stand up position, seems logical that laying the machine down will help
preserve the motor bearings and such ?

Stay well, Charles

The techs I knew at TEAC/TASCAM all advised against long term use with a deck standing up. Their reasons were in that position: 1. Cleaning the tape path was more difficult; 2. It was not as easy to edit; & 3. the motor bearings were supporting the weight of the motors.

dBV is referenced to 1V = 0dBV.

-2dBV would equal 0.794V or 794mV
-10dBV would be 310mV
-20dBV would be 100mV

So dropping your output volume by roughly 10dB from where you were should get you in the range for the TEAC. It's not likely you'll blow anything up, but you will introduce distortion if you overdrive the input.

BTW, consumer gear is usually rated in dBu which is a different rating scale. dBu is referenced to 775mV as 0dB. That might be why the Roland is designed to drop down when using an unbalanced connector. Balanced would be pro level, unbalanced would be consumer level.

Once again many THANKS for helping me. Yes I totally agree the deck laying flat is optimal. Stay well, Charles

Back