Taylor Swift

DarkFriend

A number of her tunes came up while I was listening to Pandora. The songwriting is excellent. Super catchy and the lyrics are great.

Anyone know if she writes her own stuff, or if it is written by some Nashville songwriter guru?

She writes her own songs, sometimes collaborating with others. Unless she has a secret ghost writer (and I don't believe she has), she is very good and uses interesting rhymes - or near rhymes that you sometimes have to hunt for. I think she is very talented and unspoiled compared to most of the current pop stars. Hope she stays that way.

Here is a clip of her without any help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lyBXrzR3s

Yeah, I'm not into country music (except for the production work) but her stuff and Carrie whatsername from American Idol fame are really good. The country / pop crossover thing is to my liking. Wonder though how come there aren't any young, male, solo country/pop acts? Seems like it is dominated by the ladies, which is fine in my book.

I have listened to a few of her songs and like the words. People might not like my thoughts on this but I think she has the face of a rat. With the sloped nose and the beady little eyes. But on the other hand some of her picks she looks attractive. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, if she does write her own stuff she has a talent for as young as she is.

I gotta say I completely disagree on this. I think her songwriting is incredibly average and boring, and I think the same thing about her voice. She's the biggest "I don't get it" I've come across in a long time.

Granted, I'm not a big country music fan, and I think a lot of the writing is average and lukewarm, so that's probably it. I'm not Taylor Swift's target audience. I'm sure the teenaged wrangler boys eat her up with a spoon.

It's really funny with this songwriting stuff. I listen to country sometimes (or pop too) and think ... "Geez this writing is sooooooooo basic and unspectacular. I just need to write a few tunes like this and sell them!" And then whenever I find myself writing something that sounds like that, I think to myself, "This sucks! It's so boring and plain. No one will ever like it!" And then I hear another plain, unspectacular hit song (like the Leona Lewis one "Bleeding Love"), and the cycle starts all over again.

Up until now I haven't concsiously tried to write a hit song and sell it. I've dabbled with the idea, started writing a few here and there, but then stopped because of the above-mentioned issue. And then I've gone back to writing my stuff for me. But I think I've reached the point where I'm ready to make a serious go at it. If other people are cashing in on unspectacular and average, then I'd like to as well!

She writes her own songs, sometimes collaborating with others. Unless she has a secret ghost writer (and I don't believe she has), she is very good and uses interesting rhymes - or near rhymes that you sometimes have to hunt for. I think she is very talented and unspoiled compared to most of the current pop stars. Hope she stays that way.

Here is a clip of her without any help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lyBXrzR3s

This is a perfect example! If I started writing a song, and it started like that ... with those four ultra-tired chords and that ultra-tired strumming pattern, I would want to stop right there and give it the cane.

I gotta get over that though.

I gotta say I completely disagree on this. I think her songwriting is incredibly average and boring, and I think the same thing about her voice. She's the biggest "I don't get it" I've come across in a long time.

Granted, I'm not a big country music fan, and I think a lot of the writing is average and lukewarm, so that's probably it. I'm not Taylor Swift's target audience. I'm sure the teenaged wrangler boys eat her up with a spoon.

It's really funny with this songwriting stuff. I listen to country sometimes (or pop too) and think ... "Geez this writing is sooooooooo basic and unspectacular. I just need to write a few tunes like this and sell them!" And then whenever I find myself writing something that sounds like that, I think to myself, "This sucks! It's so boring and plain. No one will ever like it!" And then I hear another plain, unspectacular hit song (like the Leona Lewis one "Bleeding Love"), and the cycle starts all over again.

Up until now I haven't concsiously tried to write a hit song and sell it. I've dabbled with the idea, started writing a few here and there, but then stopped because of the above-mentioned issue. And then I've gone back to writing my stuff for me. But I think I've reached the point where I'm ready to make a serious go at it. If other people are cashing in on unspectacular and average, then I'd like to as well!

LOL... I've pitched a few songs to a few publishers and they never get picked up. The publisher will always have something to say, but the most common rejection phrase is "I have a ton of those. What else do you have?" Of course I don't say anything negative, but I want to tell him, I don't have any crap like you hear on the radio. :D

LOL... I've pitched a few songs to a few publishers and they never get picked up. The publisher will always have something to say, but the most common rejection phrase is "I have a ton of those. What else do you have?" Of course I don't say anything negative, but I want to tell him, I don't have any crap like you hear on the radio. :D

Yeah! So ... what's one to do? :)

And just so y'all don't think I just can't appreciate anything country ...

I don't know who wrote this song, but this is an example of what I call excellent writing in the country vein. And the performance is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFzaJcZXr1U&feature=related

If I walked into a club and heard Taylor Swift doing "Teardrops on my Guitar," I would think, "Oh ... she's not too bad. If she keeps it up, she may have a shot in another 5 or 10 years" and then I would walk right out.

But ... she is a huge star right now with songs like that and lackluster performances like that. I just don't get it!

Yeah, I'm not into country music (except for the production work) but her stuff and Carrie whatsername from American Idol fame are really good. The country / pop crossover thing is to my liking. Wonder though how come there aren't any young, male, solo country/pop acts? Seems like it is dominated by the ladies, which is fine in my book.

By the way Dark, I checked out your myspace page, and your stuff sounds excellent! You really wear your influences on your sleeve! "Week" sounds like an unreleased Faulkner track! :)

You've got a bit of McCartney vibe to your voice. Sounds great! :)

By the way Dark, I checked out your myspace page, and your stuff sounds excellent! You really wear your influences on your sleeve! "Week" sounds like an unreleased Faulkner track! :)

You've got a bit of McCartney vibe to your voice. Sounds great! :)

Mr Beagle - thanks for the props. The MySpace stuff is so ancient. All of those songs have been re-recorded and sound infinitely better. The MySpace stuff is a bit embarrassing at this point. But we all get better as we learn, right?

Any comparisons, even distant, to Faulkner or McCartney are huge compliments, so thanks. I can only hope to live up to their standards.

Which brings be back to the original post here: I'm a fan of good, catchy songwriting and I don't care if it is country, pop, metal, punk, or R&B. Hence my original question here. I do think if Ms. Swift is doing her own writing, she's really talented for being what, 16 or 17? My tunes at 17 were dismal.. :O)

Yeah! So ... what's one to do? :)

Well, writing a country song isn't like rocket science, but then again, no one wants to go to the moon anymore.

Mediocre is good enough when you are young and good looking and female.

I could do what Ms. Swift does, but I would look horrible in that dress.

I wrote a country song a little while back that is kind of a self explanatory metaphor for what I feel is a sea of writers who are pitching to the most lucrative market.

Naturally, no one would buy it because it isn't written by Ms. Swift or Mr. Garth Brooks who is the most successful commercial artist of all time.

BTW, I think that Ms. Swift has a very nice guitar. See, I'm being positive.

I hope you enjoy this,

Wig:)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7524532

Back