Tascam us800 testing

The 1800, and its discontinued predecessor, are basically the same hardware. Yes, the US800 is less user friendly, and definitely not as stable as the others. At the price that it was offered however, it was a worthy interface.

Hi,

Long time lurker. I need to introduce myself sometime and get to know all of you. I've been thinking about a Tascam US-800. Amazon had it for $99, but it's now at $159.

I see that B&H still has it for $99.00. I can't post the URL yet - not enough posts - but if you go to their site and search for "Tascam US-800 - 8 Input, 4 Output USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface" you'll see it.

Now, if only they would take that Amazon gift certificate that's burning a hole in my pocket...

One question about interfaces like this one, which will help me know what I need. Am I correct to assume that it's the inputs that are the limiting factor and not outputs? Meaning, if I plug 6 mics/instruments into the Tascam and connect via USB that those 6 channels remain distinct in the DAW?

Thanks for your patience. I'm hoping that providing the B&H link will redeem me somewhat :)

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to try one of these at $99 and if it doesn't work for me, at least I purchased something new that can be returned.

Just confirmed my purchase through B&H. Should be here by Wednesday. Went ahead and got the cheap 2 year protection as well. Wish my luck fellas. If I need help with set-up I'm sure I'll be returning to this spot in a few days time.

Thanks for the confirmation on the outputs, and for the welcome. I think I'm going to pick up one of the Tascam US-800's. Does anyone out there think that there's something better for the money (or maybe even up to $150?)

Thanks.

--
Diff

Thanks for the confirmation on the outputs, and for the welcome. I think I'm going to pick up one of the Tascam US-800's. Does anyone out there think that there's something better for the money (or maybe even up to $150?)

Thanks.

--
Diff

IMO, no. Tascam makes some pretty decent quality low end products, I still have my US1641 from years ago, still works great. And you'll be tested to find something with 8 simultaneous inputs of the same quality and price. The 800 is a good little interface.

IMO, no. Tascam makes some pretty decent quality low end products, I still have my US1641 from years ago, still works great. And you'll be tested to find something with 8 simultaneous inputs of the same quality and price. The 800 is a good little interface.

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Hello All, I ordered and recieved the US800 from B&H as this seemed a great deal, however I am unable to install it without repeated BSOD's. I can successfully install it as verified by the 800's interface showing the correct driver version which I downloaded from the Tascam site. The instant that I try to open either audacity or windows media player to test it, my system crashes with the BSOD. I have spent 5 hours trying to figure out a way around this driver's apparent incompatability with my system. A couple of times my system crashed immediately after the install. I have Blue Screen viewer and My event viewer and there is no doubt that this driver is causing the BSOD's. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused by: US800Wdm.sys Does anyone have any tips on getting this installed? Or does the US800 driver just not like certain 7-64 systems? I can return it of course to B&H, but thought I would check with you guys first. Any assistance is much appreciated. I built this computer, W-7 professional, 64 bit, i5-4 core 750@2.67Ghz

Hello All, I ordered and recieved the US800 from B&H as this seemed a great deal, however I am unable to install it without repeated BSOD's. I can successfully install it as verified by the 800's interface showing the correct driver version which I downloaded from the Tascam site. The instant that I try to open either audacity or windows media player to test it, my system crashes with the BSOD. I have spent 5 hours trying to figure out a way around this driver's apparent incompatability with my system. A couple of times my system crashed immediately after the install. I have Blue Screen viewer and My event viewer and there is no doubt that this driver is causing the BSOD's. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused by: US800Wdm.sys Does anyone have any tips on getting this installed? Or does the US800 driver just not like certain 7-64 systems? I can return it of course to B&H, but thought I would check with you guys first. Any assistance is much appreciated. I built this computer, W-7 professional, 64 bit, i5-4 core 750@2.67Ghz

For what it's worth: I'm running a us800 on a laptop of mine that has Win 7 64 Pro. and a dual core i5. So I don't think that it would be an OS/Tascam compatibility issue.

I gave up on trying to sort out my BSOD issues myself :(
Had a tech take care of it.
My wallet became a little thinner. But I'm a happy camper.

I gave up on trying to sort out my BSOD issues myself :(
Had a tech take care of it.
My wallet became a little thinner. But I'm a happy camper.

With the laptop? It would be awesome if you could ask him what the actual issue was. :D

How new is your OS install? Is your BIOS updated? You might try disabling your internal soundcard from BIOS before installing the US800 driver. Just guessing here, but it does seem that there is a system setup issue that is causing BSOD. Usually it is cracked or way outdated software/drivers that cause these kind of things.

How new is your OS install? Is your BIOS updated? You might try disabling your internal soundcard from BIOS before installing the US800 driver. Just guessing here, but it does seem that there is a system setup issue that is causing BSOD. Usually it is cracked or way outdated software/drivers that cause these kind of things.

OS installed about 18 months ago. I will spend some time on my mobo site updating my bios and drivers. I agree that it is something in my system causing a conflict and not the US800. I'll plug away at finding the conflict as time allows, don't have much time to give it these days, but I will post back my results eventually.... I really appreciate your help and suggestions.

OS installed about 18 months ago. I will spend some time on my mobo site updating my bios and drivers. I agree that it is something in my system causing a conflict and not the US800. I'll plug away at finding the conflict as time allows, don't have much time to give it these days, but I will post back my results eventually.... I really appreciate your help and suggestions.

Please do man. It is things like this that make me not sleep at night. Any results that you have will be greatly appreciated. :D

And welcome to the forum RicoSimone! Always good to have new friends in the forum. :)

Not meaning to crosspost, but since it's in a different forum, I hope it's ok. After a period where they were out of stock, and had then marked the item as Discontinued, B&H again has these at $99.00. Just ordered one :)

Not meaning to crosspost, but since it's in a different forum, I hope it's ok. After a period where they were out of stock, and had then marked the item as Discontinued, B&H again has these at $99.00. Just ordered one :)

?????? Where are you getting this info from? :P

Back