Tascam us800 testing

There should not be an issue at all. Your goal is to get near -18Dbfs recording in your DAW. That is kinda equivalent to 0Db in the analog world. VSTi's and Vst's are typically made to work with levels there. Could just be your pickups are a bit hot. Active no? Imagine a passive bass pickup. You would need the gain to get good signal. I usually use a preamp before recording guitars direct, so I really do not know exactly what is best in your situation. If it sounds good, then that is what matters. Don't worry about it. :)

I've always told people that it was a good buy and now thanx to jimmy we got more proof to back it up. I only paid 150$ for it and I think its only draw back is if you needed more channels. Also it runs very smoothly with reaper.

Just a quick post to let you know that I have a US800 connected to a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6, and it's working smoothly so far... Just in case someone was wondering how it worked with a Mac ;)

Well, dudes mine came in today, so the first thing I did when I got off work was rip open the box like a Christmas gift...

Got it installed on the laptop, driver from the site, playback from a Cubase file and a regular youtube video went fine. :D Happy I found one for $99

I'm having a problem with audio input though. I don't really understand how the busses work for this in Cubase.
"Mone In= Mic 1/2"
I wasn't getting any sound or anything

I'm used to the Tascam US1800 "Mono In= Mic 1, Mono In 2= Mic 2, etc."

:confused:

EDIT: Nevermind the above. I figured it out :facepalm:

Last edited:
Well, add me to the list of people that think this thing is a dud. I wish I knew what the underlying reason for why this message happens every time I try to use the unit after just a few minutes:

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

This makes for very unhappy things, sometimes causing BSOD even on Win7 64 Home Premium.

What a waste of time and money. I feel like a fool for purchasing it without reading any reviews. My experiences mirror the other people that are unhappy with this unit. I have had random success with it, and when it works, it works great. Problem is that it mostly doesn't work.

Try streaming audio with it - useless crackles for perhaps 2 minutes and then full crap-out of the unit with the pop-up shown above.

I doubt I'll get any real support from Tascam. I wonder about hitting up the consumer protection office of the government to get some kind of recompense for this product? Other companies aren't allowed to sell products that simply don't work. I can't remember the name of the law, but there is some bit of protection for consumers to avoid companies just selling snake oil.

Well, add me to the list of people that think this thing is a dud. I wish I knew what the underlying reason for why this message happens every time I try to use the unit after just a few minutes:

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

This makes for very unhappy things, sometimes causing BSOD even on Win7 64 Home Premium.

What a waste of time and money. I feel like a fool for purchasing it without reading any reviews. My experiences mirror the other people that are unhappy with this unit. I have had random success with it, and when it works, it works great. Problem is that it mostly doesn't work.

Try streaming audio with it - useless crackles for perhaps 2 minutes and then full crap-out of the unit with the pop-up shown above.

I doubt I'll get any real support from Tascam. I wonder about hitting up the consumer protection office of the government to get some kind of recompense for this product? Other companies aren't allowed to sell products that simply don't work. I can't remember the name of the law, but there is some bit of protection for consumers to avoid companies just selling snake oil.

Your problem is not understanding that you have other programs in Windows, that are interfering with your connection. The reason that the US800 has gotten a bad rep, is that is less forgiving than most 'plug n play' type hardware that most entry level computer users are used to. The unit works, quite well actually, but only if you setup your system properly.

Consumer protection office? Snake oil? Seriously? Go sue someone for not educating you well enough to figure out simple computer setup issues. The interface is not the issue you need to be worried about. These are not the droids you are looking for.....

Oh, and I will be glad to help you get your setup working rockstar_not, but only if you are nice, and stop making posts claiming that gear is flawed, before you have troubleshooted your issue.

Did you even read this thread? Or the manual? That may be your big issue right there......

'Snake oil?' I can't keep up with you hipsters....

rockstar_not..your less then 25 miles from me..I`m in flint, actually, just south of downtown flint by about 3 miles on the grand blanc/burton border..

I also have the same unit, and seriously, their not lemons...but it may take some tweating of your system to get it working properly, and jimmy is the man to help you..but like jimmy said, and i don`t blame him, is take it easy, as it gets agravating when people just automatically assume it`s a lemon, then insult the product, when it next to never fails to be an issue OTHER then the product tat is te problem..no dont disappear, just be cool man, and post up some questions etc, and I`m sure you`ll get the help needed for it to work great!

AL..

Just to make my point clear; I am absolutely here to help figure out your problems rockstar_not, I do get a bit frustrated at times, when people blame their hardware, when there is almost always a solution that is not the fault of the product itself.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to you directly. Lets figure out what is causing your issues. We all benefit from the ability to create. I will help in anyway that I can. :D

Hang in there rockstar_not.

Personally, I've had many problems with interfaces, and DAWs and such (including but not limited to terrible sound quality, cracking, BSOD, lagging) but have found that 100% of the time (-again this is about my personal experiences) the problem is with me and the computer and not me and the music product :p.

Whenever I have a problem (and this may or may not be a good thing), I never even consider that I have something faulty. I assume that there's something I'm not doing or haven't set up properly.
I just hit google, the control panel, and more times than not this site.

The statement you made about the streaming audio cutting out and giving you the 'USB device malfunctioned ' error, is evidence that either you do not have the correct updated driver for your OS, and/or you have another soundcard interfering with your connection, and/or you are losing connectivity via your USB controller, due to overload of it's capability. These can be remedied. They are not caused by the interface. They are Windows/computer based hardware/driver issues that need to be addressed to make the interface work with your setup.

I understand how frustrating setting up can be. I have been there. It almost always comes down to something simple.

EDIT: Unless it is kidkage, who seems to have more problems with PC setup than anyone ever! LOL!

Just kidding man. :D

EDIT: Unless it is kidkage, who seems to have more problems with PC setup than anyone ever! LOL!

Just kidding man. :D

:laughings: It's the truth! No harm done.

I'll end up having 100 problems. 99 of which will be my own fault and rather quick fixes... but the one problem that isn't seems to have no solution :p

EDIT:...thanks!! i see he/it is gone!

WTF wrong thread, or???
either way, sorry man, but IMO it sucks!! even the "FAT" chicks, and i do not mean "phat", but "fat" as in out of shape fat ass`es..especially them NASTY ones on that stage..ouch...and by "NASTY", i do not mean as in hot, kinky, sexy etc..but NASTY as in GROSS, un atractive etc...

that said, can we get rid of this spammer???..he`s hitting almost all threads with this crap..

thanks...

I'm thinking of trying to pick one of these up if I can find one around $100. A quick search shows that the new ones are quite high still. Would anyone possibly be able to tell me exactly what I need to do as far as set-up, to make sure that this thing runs smoothly with my Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 7 64, I5. I'm technically savvy and fairly familiar with PC's so I assume I may be able to avoid the hard time others are having.
Am I basically setting my PC for high performance, downloading updated drivers, and removing/stopping programs that would interfere?
Thanks guys.

I'm thinking of trying to pick one of these up if I can find one around $100. A quick search shows that the new ones are quite high still. Would anyone possibly be able to tell me exactly what I need to do as far as set-up, to make sure that this thing runs smoothly with my Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 7 64, I5. I'm technically savvy and fairly familiar with PC's so I assume I may be able to avoid the hard time others are having.
Am I basically setting my PC for high performance, downloading updated drivers, and removing/stopping programs that would interfere?
Thanks guys.

That is why doods like me hang out here man. To help and hang out with friends with similar hobbies.

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, you won't find the US-800 for $100 any more, unless you luck out and find a used one. They are discontinued, so a very limited supply of new ones are left around.

Back