Tascam US-1800 or Alesis MultiMix 16 USB 2.0 ??

Friday0089

Ok, so I am on the hunt for a new audio interface and I have somewhat of a budget I'm trying to stay within so I've come down to the Multimix 16 USB 2.0 and the TASCAM US-1800. Both look promising, however, I have read a few reviews about the Alesis and people have said over time it starts to crackle and the audio quality degrades substantially; so that worries me to shell out $600 if that is inevitable.

I have right now, one of the original USB Alesis mixers and it hasn't steered me wrong thus far. The only draw back I have noticed for the TASCAM is the lack of extra features, just pretty much gain knobs and I/O's is all it is. Which I'm not too worried about because I have a nice little rack setup for EQ, Comp, etc. So I need some advice on which to get. I would appreciate any and ALL comments. Thank you in advance!!

All my recordings are done with the 1641. Basically the same unit, newer look. Never once had an issue.

Cool another TASCAM vote. As far as TASCAM goes how have your units performed for you, any particular pros and/or cons?

One thing. I cant run the 1641 via a USB 3.0 port while running a USB external drive through the same set on my i7. Probably common sense but keep that in mind. A USB 2.0 interface likes to run on it's own USB port. A PCIe port dedicated to the interface is ideal. I purchased one for $16 for an older PC that worked perfectly.

Alesis will most likely give you a world of problems, due to their lack of driver/firmware updates and virtually no customer support. Used to own a FireWire Multimix16 and the pres aren't that great really IMO.

How many preamps/mic inputs did you want? You can get a kickass Presonus Audiobox with 2 preamps for roughly £120/$190? They're also advertising an 8-pre 1U unit on their website but I can't find it anywhere. Looks the bizznizz, so stick around for it to appear on the online market.

Well actually I just bought the TASCAM 1800. And I must say I am very, very happy. So far I've only recorded random drums and guitars just to get the feel of it, but, I'm about 99% sure I made the right choice. Thanks for the help everyone!

Well actually I just bought the TASCAM 1800. And I must say I am very, very happy. So far I've only recorded random drums and guitars just to get the feel of it, but, I'm about 99% sure I made the right choice. Thanks for the help everyone!

Of course you did. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy recording man!

Congratulations! Those interfaces are fantastic on the budget. Happy recording!

I bought the Tascam M164UF 16 channel mixer / audio interface. At the 20 month mark, the USB in the mixer died.
Got it repaired under warranty and was out for 3 months. Four and 1/2 months later it happens again. I'm totally SOL

Replaced it with Alesis MultiMix 16 USB 2.0. Alesis sounds a bit better. Operates very differently as a mixer and monitoring. 3 weeks later and still learning it.

Back