Tascam M520 Story...

Lettering-
So each channel 1-20 or 1-12 in my case has a letter assigned to it? And this letter corresponds to info in the manual that says what type of caps to use?

Yes. Did you look at the chart at the bottom of page 142? Study that.

Won't it be obvious by just counting the caps and referring to your 3 bullet points?

Sure...that's one way to do it. Your helper is trying to get you acclimated to referencing the service manual to generate parts lists. Plus your *helper* needs to know which channel you are recapping so he can tell you which caps to get.

Are you saying my guinea pig count was off and my post #478 was correct?

Your original guinea pig count was 22 which fits into none of the card types A~G. Your list in post #478 is correct, for channels 3 and 4, types B and C which have all 26 electrolytic caps mounted.

I recounted my guinea pig and counted 23 caps, which means it must be a "all other channels" module.
1UF 50V
10UF 16V (all excpt A)...x6
22UF 25V (b, c)............x6
47UF 25V.....................x5
100UF 16V...................x2
470UF 16V
22UF 50V....................x2

Yawp.

Now you get your shopping list:

(1) 1uF/50V (looks like the KT parts are out of stock...might call them to see if it is gonna be awhile and if so this is a perfectly fine alternative in that spot: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UPW1H010MDD1TD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22UXbiauPutPBbMos4l4iQ1o%3d
(6) 10uF/16V
(6) 22uF/25V
(2) 47uF/25V (C59, 60)
(3) 47uF/25V (C10, C11, C15)
(2) 100uF/16V
(1) 470uF/16V NP
(2) 22uF/50V

Another thing I'm confused about is you say,
"(this count EXcludes caps denoted as "(B, C)", and INcludes caps denoted as "(All except A)"."
So obviously 22UF 25V is noted as "(b,c). What does that mean? That cap is on the circuit board not once but 6 times!

Yes, 22uF/25V is noted as "(b,c)"...ONE OF THEM...C19. Look at the parts list on page 142.

Has my guinea pig been recapped wrong?

No.

hold the boat...

I'm trying...damn current is getting stronger...that's not an electrical pun... :D

looking at the board it has a section that says "phono. Line, AMP" In this section there are missing caps... ( c16, c17, c18, c19) I'm pretty sure that makes my guinea pig a B & C channel. Which makes sense because you say,
"("B" and "C" boards have ALL the electrolytic caps mounted)."
However 23 plus 4 = 27...

I'll answer your question with two questions:

1. Look at the parts list on page 142. Tell me what kind of caps are specified for C17 and C18?
2. If types B and C are for channels 3 and 4, the ones WITH the phono amps, why do you think your guinea pig is a B and C type when it is missing those caps?

Is the parts link your providing me gonna be for the entire console? :-) the 512 should be like the 520 (-) 8 channels.

No. Just the one guinea pig module so far. Are you planning on ordering caps for an entire console? Because you're going to do the power supply first.

Also, for future recap jobs, is it possible without a manual to look up what caps are on the board and order new caps with the correct values? If we were not talking that's probably what I would have done.

Sure. And you can also play music by ear...a valuable skill just like being able to look at a parts assembly and identify parts. Of equal value is being able to read and write music...or make the service manual your friend. You wanted a shopping list, and I'm giving it to you while being a PITA trying to get you comfy with the service manual. :rolleyes: :)

Thanks so much seweetbeats! All this would probably be easier for me to understand in person....I will eventually understand, it just takes me a little longer. This thread is great for the next guy who know nothing like me. Yep, they are out of 1uF/50V, I'll go with your alt. Each channel in my module is the same right? so 23 caps x 4 channels is 92 total caps?

Yes. Did you look at the chart at the bottom of page 142? Study that.
Yes, I'm gonna get it tattooed even though I'm still having problems understanding with it...haha It will be a drunk tattoo!

Sure...that's one way to do it. Your helper is trying to get you acclimated to referencing the service manual to generate parts lists. Plus your *helper* needs to know which channel you are recapping so he can tell you which caps to get.
Oh I see! And, I do appreciate the push to understand this stuff!

Your original guinea pig count was 22 which fits into none of the card types A~G. Your list in post #478 is correct, for channels 3 and 4, types B and C which have all 26 electrolytic caps mounted.

OK, one thing I don't get about this "components mounted chart" pg 142. Why is there only these caps mentioned in the chart?
"C16, C17, C18, C19, C20, C22, C36, C50" This chart would make complete sense to me if they had a huge chart with all the caps on it. Why only the select few? Are those special caps they want you to pay special attention too.....like make sure these go here and not there or you will explode!

Yes, 22uF/25V is noted as "(b,c)"...ONE OF THEM...C19. Look at the parts list on page 142.

Oh OK , I see, 22uf 25v is listed twice, once as C12/13 and once as C19 (b,c)

I'll answer your question with two questions:

1. Look at the parts list on page 142. Tell me what kind of caps are specified for C17 and C18?
2. If types B and C are for channels 3 and 4, the ones WITH the phono amps, why do you think your guinea pig is a B and C type when it is missing those caps?

Question 1. .0015uf (b,c) & .0047uf (b,c)
Question 2. Because the guy who sold it to me was building a console and using some 520 parts and mentioned something about recapping. I thought maybe that guy started to recap it and then stopped. Now, understanding what I am looking at a little more, I realize that all the circuit boards must have a phono section, but if there are no caps mounted, then it is not a "A" board. Like you mention, C17-18 are phono only caps. Cool.

No. Just the one guinea pig module so far. Are you planning on ordering caps for an entire console? Because you're going to do the power supply first.
haha, YES not only the 512 but the 520 and if I have a knack for it why not do my TEAC 2a? But I'm sure you were being sarcastic:-) After I successfully conquer the pig, I will do the power supply as advised:-)

Sure. And you can also play music by ear...a valuable skill just like being able to look at a parts assembly and identify parts. Of equal value is being able to read and write music...or make the service manual your friend. You wanted a shopping list, and I'm giving it to you while being a PITA trying to get you comfy with the service manual. :rolleyes: :)

Agreed!
However, playing music by ear is a bit of a gift. I can listen to most any song and pick out the chord structure in a min or so. But some people are tone def and they can work on it...but they will never be able to tune by ear or realize when they are a hair sharp or flat. You obviously have a gift for electronics, I might not be able to completely understand what the values mean or why things are the way they are, but with the knowledge your teaching me, hopefully I can understand what needs to be done, and do it the right way. I'm into doing things right, thats why were talking:-) Service manuals must be like women, can't live with em, can't recap without em:D

Each channel in my module is the same right? so 23 caps x 4 channels is 92 total caps?

I would *assume* so, since the module for channels 1~4 is the only one with unique cap counts as far as the electrolytics go, but you may want to look at the boards just to be sure.

OK, one thing I don't get about this "components mounted chart" pg 142. Why is there only these caps mentioned in the chart?
"C16, C17, C18, C19, C20, C22, C36, C50" This chart would make complete sense to me if they had a huge chart with all the caps on it. Why only the select few? Are those special caps they want you to pay special attention too.....like make sure these go here and not there or you will explode!

Those are the only components in the chart because those are the only components that differ between the different module types A~G. Make sense? Why have everything on the list if most of the stuff is the same for all the types?

Not what value, but what type. Hint: they're not electrolytic. Look at the parts list on 142...it says what kind of cap they are. And yes the point here is that they aren't electrolytic so you don't want to count them in your list of electrolytic parts even though they are only mounted on the "B" and "C" modules...you don't care because you are only replacing the electrolytic parts.

And if you have the money and you're sure you're going to do it, then don't let me stop you from ordering a whole mess of caps. I guess you just need to let me know what you're wanting to do at this juncture, but expect I'm going to try and get you to figure out as much as you can on your own with a certain amount of guidance.

Cory,

I ready somewhere on here that you sold this to Richard Swift. He has produced some really incredible records in the last few years, Damien Jurardo's last 3 records (Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Sun is soo good and total ear candy), and also Foxygen's last record, which is also fantastic(and also ear candy). I was watching a doc on the new Damien Jurardo record a few months ago, and noticed the mixing console in Richard's studio is a Tascam m-520, I'm sure the one you sold him, which is awesome. For anyone wondering about expensive gear, and whether it's necessary to spend 10's of thousands of dolor's to make great records, should listen to anything he has done(I'm sure he has some pretty awesome high end stuff too). Richard Swift's most notable song, Lady Luck, which is somewhat a hit song, was done entirely on two Tascam Portastudio 4 tracks. It sounds amazing! Also should note, how great his drum sounds are, uses a sm7b and sometimes a cheap bass drum mic, records them on a 4 track, then dumps them to his 2" tape. Most of his vocals are recorded through an sm57 (he then runs them through a space echo, and probably a spendy compressor). Anyway, point being, you can achieve really great results, with pretty much anything, if you use good technique, have something worth recording, and get a little(or allot) creative. Also, Tascam made some pretty great stuff in the 80's, which I have been discovering over the last few years, and I am now a proud owner of a very minty Tascam M-512, and I got for only $350, and I was really considering spending 10 times that much for a Toft.

Anyway, Cory, super cool that your M-520 went to such a great home, and is being used to record some really great records. Seriously, Richard Swift is kind of my hero! Damien Jurardo, Brothers and Sister of the Eternal Son, is a must have record.

(Ohooo, Drive by posting)

Well just thought I'd drop by at a down time here at work (one of the few). If anyone wants a M520 I'm ready to sell mine. Down here in Portland (PDX) and Seattle is not so far away. Offers are good.

--Ethan

Cory,

I ready somewhere on here that you sold this to Richard Swift. He has produced some really incredible records in the last few years, Damien Jurardo's last 3 records (Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Sun is soo good and total ear candy), and also Foxygen's last record, which is also fantastic(and also ear candy). I was watching a doc on the new Damien Jurardo record a few months ago, and noticed the mixing console in Richard's studio is a Tascam m-520, I'm sure the one you sold him, which is awesome. For anyone wondering about expensive gear, and whether it's necessary to spend 10's of thousands of dolor's to make great records, should listen to anything he has done(I'm sure he has some pretty awesome high end stuff too). Richard Swift's most notable song, Lady Luck, which is somewhat a hit song, was done entirely on two Tascam Portastudio 4 tracks. It sounds amazing! Also should note, how great his drum sounds are, uses a sm7b and sometimes a cheap bass drum mic, records them on a 4 track, then dumps them to his 2" tape. Most of his vocals are recorded through an sm57 (he then runs them through a space echo, and probably a spendy compressor). Anyway, point being, you can achieve really great results, with pretty much anything, if you use good technique, have something worth recording, and get a little(or allot) creative. Also, Tascam made some pretty great stuff in the 80's, which I have been discovering over the last few years, and I am now a proud owner of a very minty Tascam M-512, and I got for only $350, and I was really considering spending 10 times that much for a Toft.

Anyway, Cory, super cool that your M-520 went to such a great home, and is being used to record some really great records. Seriously, Richard Swift is kind of my hero! Damien Jurardo, Brothers and Sister of the Eternal Son, is a must have record.

Indeed I did sell it to Richard Swift...and saw his very nice Studer 2" machine...and super cool AKG analog echo. Lady Luck is a favorite of his work for me.

Where/how did you see that documentary? I'd love to see a cameo of my old M-520! :D

He was really happy with it...described the sound as "sick" (in a good way).

Indeed I did sell it to Richard Swift...and saw his very nice Studer 2" machine...and super cool AKG analog echo. Lady Luck is a favorite of his work for me.

Where/how did you see that documentary? I'd love to see a cameo of my old M-520! :D

He was really happy with it...described the sound as "sick" (in a good way).

Yeah, he certainly has some great gear to go with all of it. I just think it's cool that apparently his console (according to any photos/videos I've seen) is an old Tascam.

Here is a link to the video.

ALBUM ANNOUNCE // Damien Jurado’s ‘Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son’ Coming in January, Watch The Album Trailer Blog :: Secretly Canadian

Fun short doc. Looks like a really great and fun space to make a record.

I want to thank all for this info, I just got a m 50 for the same reasons most of you did, the cheap mixers now a day are nothing compared to the tanks. to be honest, I had a Tascam 388 fall right in to my lap for free, It just needed a capstan band, which believe Tascam still sells ? they did.
I love the mixer section of the Tascam 388 so much, I hunted down this m 50, love it.
sweetbeats, a few of your threads have really helped me out man.

Hi folks, first post here ever.

I know this is a thread that goes back aways, but I wanted to say thanks to sweetbeats and the other contributors for all the incredible info.

Years ago, I had a studio in Hollywood with the m520 and an msr16. We did lots of great stuff. Mostly demos, but a few albums as well.

Been out of music for a long time but, jumping back in with an msr 16 and, you guessed it. a m520 board.

It's great that there are those out there who appreciate this fine machine.

Last edited:
Enjoy, gents.

Though its been a long time since I had my M-520, I picked up an M-512 for $100 with full manual in binder awhile back and it was like a walk down memory lane. For the money its hard to ignore the M-500 mixers. They were nicely engineered from a chassis perspective...lots of unique and useful features too. The haters will hate but I think they sound nice...much better than all the run of the mill stuff that's been around for many a year now. I think the thing to realize is that an M-500 mixer is typically going to be physically weathered and show its age by now, and pots will need flushing and caps will need replaced. Seems pretty common to have squealing issues in the EQ section which are resolved with recapping the boards and cleaning the pots. There will be regular switch exercising needed...niggling things. I think if you can put up with these issues and you are able to handle recapping, then these boards are a great buy. Just remember, the haters will hate. Typically recapping doesn't have to happen right away either...just means maybe more niggling until you do. You can buy one and use it and over time go through it starting with the power supply. I wish the hi and lo EQ bands were shelving, but that's just me.

But they have a great feature set, many facets of which are unique to the M-500 series, are well-engineered and look great.

Enjoy!

Welcome back. seems like some folks missed you. Again, thanks for your threads. From personal experience I know how much time explaining, photographing and documenting things takes. I for one appreciate your efforts.

Well, Lookie here. Another M520 in a professional situation. The band Opeth uses one.

I'm putting it here because this is the thread for all things M520.
Anyone googling this mixer ends up at this thread.

Oh. Noooooo. You mean I was wrong????

Edit; just saw another video where it is clear that it's not a 520.

Whoops my bad.

:o

I'm here to join the M520 gang! I have been using the M520 for about 9 years now. Unfortunately, I use it mostly for tracking with my DAW, but recently I've been trying to hook it up and use it to its full potential, and that's what brought me here.

Anyway, cool story about my m520 is that it was purchased by a friend of mind from these two gentlemen:

Photos — Exeter Recordings

Don Zientara and Ian MacKaye (Minor Threat)

Pretty damn cool!!

Was the mixer was from Inner Ear? Or from Ian's home studio?

I'm here to join the M520 gang! I have been using the M520 for about 9 years now. Unfortunately, I use it mostly for tracking with my DAW, but recently I've been trying to hook it up and use it to its full potential, and that's what brought me here.

Anyway, cool story about my m520 is that it was purchased by a friend of mind from these two gentlemen:

Photos — Exeter Recordings

Don Zientara and Ian MacKaye (Minor Threat)

Pretty damn cool!!

Coool! Nice looking studio you got there.☺
looks like you need some side dress panels for your console.

Back