? Tascam FW-1884, am I stuck with a boat anchor.

dogooder

I just picked up one of these for fifty bucks at and estate sale, she fires up and the lights be flashing. Anyway I know nothing about it. I looked at some tutorials and downloaded the manuals. Are the drivers still available for the puter, I read somewhere Tascam no longer provides downloads for the drivers anymore?.dt.jpg

Last edited:
The drivers are online, if you're using WinXP, VIsta or Win 7, or an old version of OSX. Nothing new for 14 years, so Win 10, or OSX past around Snow Leopard might not work. That's the PowerPC era, so it might not work with Intel CPUs.
Can I use it as a stand alone midi controller. I have 4 old poly synths. I have an old tower with windows something on it. It was a gamers computer and he had it beefed up. It has ethernet and lightpipe connections. I fired it up a few months ago and it was still coming on line.

I see it has a headphone jack, can I plug a mic in and some phones to check out if the channels are working?

I have no idea.... At that point, I was using my Yamaha recorder, not a computer. You said you downloaded the manuals, so I guess the answer is,,,,,,,

RTFM! 😜

Apparently it can be used stand alone. Page 28 of the owners manual says:

4 – Control Surface Modes and Operation

4.3 Monitor Mix Mode – (General Notes)
The FW-1884 can be used as a stand-alone 18x2 mixer
in MON MIX mode. The primary benefit of MON
MIX mode is to provide a means of monitoring your
audio inputs in a zero-latency environment. By using
MON MIX mode to monitor the audio from your
inputs along with the audio return from your DAW
application, it is possible to overdub tracks to your
DAW software with none of the audio processing
delays inherent in DAW applications.

Also, it has mic preamps:

4. Mic Inputs 1-8 – Balanced XLR inputs at +4
dBu featuring high-quality mic preamps. These inputs
are wired in parallel with their associated Line Inputs.

I just picked up one of these for fifty bucks at and estate sale, she fires up and the lights be flashing. Anyway I know nothing about it. I looked at some tutorials and downloaded the manuals. Are the drivers still available for the puter, I read somewhere Tascam no longer provides downloads for the drivers anymore?.View attachment 138064
I remember those, it was one of those units people were distraught when Windows 7 came out and they didn't make 64 bit drivers for it. Only worked on a 32 bit OS unless they finally got around to writing a driver. Which I doubt it.

Back